Yikes...Old Timey Pruning

Roughly 2' a year sustained I hope it can growth rate, I hope it manages to stay healthy and happy. :thumbsup:

Are you familiar with the breeding program in Guelph? https://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/collectionsandresearch/elmrecovery

I had the honor of working with Henry and got to go on one of his expeditions to collect material before this was an official project. If their projected timelines are right I should be able to buy one of the results of his work in a few years. I already have a spot in the yard picked out.

Nice to hear about that project. It parallels what's being done to recover the American Chestnut tree.

Nice to hear about that project. It parallels what's being done to recover the American Chestnut tree.
I've been trying to get my hands on some Chestnut seedlings but no luck so far. Ottawa is outside it's native range (southern Ontario) meaning Chestnut blight shouldn't be residual in the soil here at all and thanks to global warming the climate ought now to be compatible.

I could pick some chestnuts and mail them to you. Trees on this side of the Rockies are unaffected.
Far out! If you think I could get them to germinate, and you think your version might be winter hardy, I'm in! Over the past 50 years I've had good luck with Oaks, Horse Chestnut, Buckeye, Walnut and some success with Kentucky Coffeetree nuts but I've never had any luck germinating Shagbark Hickory.

Far out! If you think I could get them to germinate, and you think your version might be winter hardy, I'm in! Over the past 50 years I've had good luck with Oaks, Horse Chestnut, Buckeye, Walnut and some success with Kentucky Coffeetree nuts but I've never had any luck germinating Shagbark Hickory.

Well, I if ever there was a time to dig out some of my old plant propagation info, this would be it.

Basically, all the Hickories ripen in September-October and should be picked or collected off the ground then. Isolated trees have a decent percentage of aborts and weevils get into them so cut a few and check to see they're good.

Keep in an open bucket for about a week until the husks change colour and split. If you can peel the husks easily, it should be good. You can soak for several hours to help with the peeling.

Don't let the seeds dry out after peeling.

Plant in the fall or cold (moist) stratify in the refrigerator for a minimum of 120 days before planting.

The trick to Kentucky coffee tree is to file a bit of the seed coat off before soaking for 24 hours. After that they will germinate in about 2 weeks.

Chestnut doesn't have too much info. They don't like drying out (which might make shipping more difficult -- a ziplock baggie and some damp vermiculite or sand would probably do the trick) and plant in October preferably, otherwise 150 days in the fridge.

This is all Henry Kock's work. He literally wrote the book on growing native plants from seed. If anybody wants info on how to start a tree or shrub that grows naturally in the north east there is a good chance I can tell you how to go about it and would be happy to pass the info along.

Thank you C Mojo. I checked on 'my' small stand of mature Shagbarks near Perth, Ontario, on Monday. The real problem for me is getting at the nuts before the GD squirrels do. These critters don't wait for the nuts to fall and 'squirrel' them away out of the trees by the sackful just before they're ripe. I had the same problem with Ohio Buckeyes up until 15 years ago when I found a cultivated row of them thriving, and bearing fruit, on the median of a very busy divided road. For once many more of the marauding squirrels got smooshed by cars than could be recruited to pillage the nuts.

Thank you C Mojo. I checked on 'my' small stand of mature Shagbarks near Perth, Ontario, on Monday. The real problem for me is getting at the nuts before the GD squirrels do. These critters don't wait for the nuts to fall and 'squirrel' them away out of the trees by the sackful just before they're ripe. I had the same problem with Ohio Buckeyes up until 15 years ago when I found a cultivated row of them thriving, and bearing fruit, on the median of a very busy divided road. For once many more of the marauding squirrels got smooshed by cars than could be recruited to pillage the nuts.

...and, of course, unless you're a very light monkey the nuts are too high up to cage a few bunches with chicken wire so they get a chance to mature enough.

Then, if you do actually manage to get a few to sprout, the rabbits, groundhogs, and deer will mow them to the ground.

If they somehow escape that fate the mice and voles will girdle them below the snow line first good winter. :mad:

Just to add to the difficulties, Hickories don't transplant worth shit because they have stupid long tap roots, so you can't even really go dig up a sapling that a squirrel has planted for you.

Just to add to the difficulties, Hickories don't transplant worth shit because they have stupid long tap roots, so you can't even really go dig up a sapling that a squirrel has planted for you.
Yup! I started off with 40 Shagbark bareroot seedlings from Ferguson Forest Centre in 08 and planted them all over the countryside. All I found were stubs within one growing season, except at the popular off-leash dog park where the rabbits and squirrels forcibly learned to stay the H well away. I dug that one up (deep hole considering the 2 year old was only 6 inches high) and brought it home. No matter what I do (buried moth balls and a chicken wire enclosure) the shoots are chewed off shortly after the buds break. Here we are 9 years later and the poor thing is still only 6" high and has had to send forth it's third set of leaves this summer. I finally figured out it's either mice or a GD chipmunk that's been in there. Now it's surrounded by hardware cloth. I'm thinking the reason there are no Shagbarks in Ottawa has more to do with absence of predators of gnawing rodents than it does climate.

I've been trying to get my hands on some Chestnut seedlings but no luck so far. Ottawa is outside it's native range (southern Ontario) meaning Chestnut blight shouldn't be residual in the soil here at all and thanks to global warming the climate ought now to be compatible.

I gathered some American Chestnuts today. I'll look into the paperwork necessary to ship them to Canada.

I gathered some American Chestnuts today. I'll look into the paperwork necessary to ship them to Canada.

I've sent seeds and garlic to Canada with no extra paperwork.

K. Exemptions from Import Documentation Requirements
3. Seed analysis certificates and import declarations are not required for lots of herb seed that are 5 kg or less, or for flower seed, tree or shrub seed, true potato seed, ginseng, seeds of aquatic plants or onion/garlic multiplier sets.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/seeds/imports/abcs-of-importation/eng/1347740952226/1347741389113

Make my day! Thanks guys. Describing the contents of a package as 'organic-grown edible nuts' ought to do the trick. I'll start preparing for this, especially on formulating a plan for keeping GD squirrels from excavating the plot.
Washington State features hardiness zones from 5 to 8 whereas eastern Ontario (Ottawa) is at the cooler end of zone 4. I will keep my fingers crossed that Chestnuts are capable of withstanding occasional -30 temperatures.

Good luck 300Six.

Air rifles and snares are nice and quiet if your fence is tall enough to keep prying eyes at bay. ;)
I've played that game for years (except with 22RF CB longs which are similarly quiet but considerably more powerful, and rat-sized spring traps) but it only takes one determined gnawing critter to get through, while shopping, having a snooze or mug of Joe, to desecrate a nursery plot. I'm really looking forward to this! May the 'gods of seed germination' smile upon me in this venture, and may global warming be to the tree's benefit.
Of course if there is success the old adage applies: "you don't plant a tree for yourself but to benefit grandchildren"

The Canadian Chestnut Council reports that some American Chestnut trees have survived near Ottawa (after being planted in 1976):

Newsletter #6 May 1993 - Canadian Chestnut Council
A SURPRISE FIND
Colin McKeen recently learned from the Eastern Ontario Nut Grower's Association that there was a small planting of American Chestnut on the National Capital Commission property just east of Ottawa. Along with several other hardwood species sixteen Chestnut trees were planted on the site in 1976. The planting was made by the Canadian Forestry Service before it was transferred to Petawawa sixteen years ago. Eight trees have survived and show reasonable thrift. Several show multiple stems with the largest having a diameter of about 5 inches (12.5 cm). After the snow melted in mid-April burrs were found on the ground at the base of the largest trees. This indicates that the American Chestnut can withstand more severe climates than was originally thought.

Newsletter #42 August 2006 - Canadian Chestnut Council
From Ottawa, Ontario
Colin asked me to report on the progress of the chestnuts growing in the Ottawa area. The main group is on public land near the Mer Bleu area just east of Centertown. The dozen or so trees are in fine form, now about 30 years old. They have been seeding for many years, the seed being distributed locally to experimental growers. We are vigilant about material that might bring the blight into the area, which would be fatal to our small cadre of chestnuts. This year, whatever we can get will be planted out as before; so the local population should continue to increase. I will keep the CCC posted on our work here.
Hank Jones, ECSONG Chair

http://www.canadianchestnutcouncil.ca/

Here's a shagbark that was eat up about a month ago. All of the little brown bits laying around underneath were immature nuts still clinging to the tree that were eaten by the squirrels.

I raise feist dogs to help help me hunt down, and kill the squirrels here on the farm.

Not because they are hurting my hickories, hell, there's more hickories of all kinds here than me or the squirrels could ever use. Me and my feist hunt "chickens of the trees" because they are DELICIOUS! Especially with biscuits, gravy, and fresh garden veggies..

I'm told squirrels are quite edible and I do know that 'squirrel guns' feature prominently in American history and folklore. My parents had a 'hate on' for these critters (mom was a bulb grower and gardener) and live-trapped and 'politely' drowned about 200 a year. This didn't put so much as a dent in the population either. The only predator of Grey Squirrels (1/2 of them are black coloured around these parts) in cities and suburbs is automobiles and indignant homeowners. Now I did set foot in Ohio at one time and got to see Fox Squirrels in action. These are much larger and I can see hungry pioneers being overjoyed to come across these.

I hear that squirrel brains may not be safe to eat. Not sure if it's just certain regions or what.

Back