Your favorite mini/micro multitool?

Small in size, big in value. I'm looking for a multitool that can fit in the change pocket of my jeans, and help me deal with a few everyday-carry situations. Remove a bottle cap, cut zipties, file down a finger nail, slice open some mail. Basic stuff.

The Leatherman Micra is at the top of my list. It seems universally acclaimed. Is there anything else in the same size and price bracket I should be looking at?

(I should mention, I'd like to stay with a format similar to the Micra. I love my SAKS, alox especially, but that's not what I'm wanting in this case)

The watch pocket/change pocket is bigger than you think. It just gets uncomfortable if what you put in there is too thick ... depending on how big your belly is, or how tight your jeans are....

For me, a 2 layer cellidor 91mm fits, but can be slightly uncomfortable at times. A 2 layer 93mm alox or a 2 layer cellidor 84mm do fit comfortably. Given this, there are lots of small multitools that fit there. I personally will carry in the watch pocket: pioneer, cadet, tourist, classic, rambler, micra, style ps depending on what I'm expecting from the day as well as if I'm carrying another larger knife with me.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd ask yourself if you want a knife with tools (go with a SAK), or scissors with tools (go with the micra), or pliers with tools (leatherman style ps or other leatherman).

You just can't beat the leatherman micra, mine is a first year made In 1996 and is still going strong in my pocket right now. If you want a small pair of pliers though I'd check out the leatherman squirt ps.
One tool I'd recommend staying away from is the Gerber Bg compact multitool and it's non bg counterpart, I bought one that broke on me after a week , then the one I exchanged it for had the pliers snap trying to cut a paperclip. I replaced it with 15$ worth of mountain dew and dorrito's and never looked back ( about the best 15$ I've ever spent ). I personally wouldn't buy any Chinese made Gerber multitools based on this, but many people seem to like the Gerber dime.

Leatherman Micra is nice but I wish its knives and tools could be accessed without opening the handles. The Leatherman Squirt is probably my favourite little multitool. Realistically I use my SAK the most. It is just the little guy with one small blade, one little nail file, one scissors and a tweezers/ toothpick.

Last edited:
Overall, I like the Micra best, and am so used to it after decades that I don’t mind the inside opening tools, but the sharp screw heads are a problem when carried in 5th pocket. They keep chewing holes in the cloth. I finesse that by putting mine into a small leather slip Leatherman used to supply for it, but they no longer do. It solves the problem, but makes for one extra step when readying the tool for a task. Lately, I’ve been alternating the Micra with a Vic Manager, which carries beautifully and is good for lots of small tasks, but isn’t as robust as the Micra. I’ve assembled furniture and installed my window air condioners with nothing but a Micra, which is beyond the capabilities of the Manager, and the scissors are just too small. The little pen is great, though, and eliminates the need for a regular ball point pen while out and about note taking and signing stuff. If I had to choose just one, the Micra is the most bang for the buck, but I’ve given up looking for perfection.

I tried to really like the micra, but it was a no-go. Alongside a squirt, it was a PITA with the inside opening tools. It got on my nerves to have to pull open the whole thing to access a knife blade or screw driver. I much prefer the squirt that I can just go right for the tool I need without pulling open the tool. And with the squirt, I have found much to my surprise, that I actually have used the small pliers a fair amount. And the squirt still gives me scissors like my Vic classic. Rebellious mustache hairs or other snip jobs are felt with quickly.

The squirt has become my small mulitool of choice and is carried very very often in the watch pocket of my jeans.

I have to agree with all the folks above. if you prioritize scissors, the micra has no rival. If you use more pliers, the Squirt is the way to go. The outside opening tools are a real plus and deciding factor for most people, both ride well in a coin pocket, keychain or small pockets of all kind.

20170109_092117_zps27lq4e1r.jpg

The micra is a tad bit thinner, and my personal favorite (tougher, more durable, time proven design, I like its drivers better), but the Squirt surpasses all competitors (Gerber Clutch, Gerber Dime, SOG Crosscut, Gerber BG Tool, etc.) on its size and weight for most people's needs and preferences

20170107_162110_zpsrushwyhl.jpg

Many SAKs will fit in a coin pocket but they are other kind of tools and differently made, so if you're not looking for a SAK check Leatherman's offerings as they are the best in their respective categories

CAM03218_zpsjb3s5ena.jpg

I tried to really like the micra, but it was a no-go. Alongside a squirt, it was a PITA with the inside opening tools. It got on my nerves to have to pull open the whole thing to access a knife blade or screw driver. I much prefer the squirt that I can just go right for the tool I need without pulling open the tool. And with the squirt, I have found much to my surprise, that I actually have used the small pliers a fair amount. And the squirt still gives me scissors like my Vic classic. Rebellious mustache hairs or other snip jobs are felt with quickly.

The squirt has become my small mulitool of choice and is carried very very often in the watch pocket of my jeans.

My favorite is the Leatherman Squirt PS4. I find lots of uses for the little pliers. I often use it to cut a small wire for example or grab small things. Works on zip ties, but if I am cutting more than a couple, I grab a pair of regular wire cutters for that job. The small blade is good for little jobs when perhaps I forgot my regular knife. The scissors works, but I'm not a scissors guy. The Squirt is in my pocket every day since Pinnah turned me on to them. I have two.

My squirt has picked up some dings and wear over the past two years of pretty steady carry and use. Rugged little piece of gear, it's been my sole edc carry on many occasions. Fits int e watch pocket and leaves room in the main pockets for 'other' stuff.

Gerber Dime has been on my keys for MANY years and it is the best one I have ever used. Everthing still works and it gets slammed around pretty good. I have used the screw drivers, blades, and pliers for multitudes of projects and it keeps on going. Most recently my Air Intake popped off and I needed to crew the clamp back down. It worked like a champ!!

Dime-Black_fulljpg.jpg

I used to carry a Gerber Curve. The 'unnecessary' thickness actually made it more comfortable to use and made the tools feel a little stronger IMO. However, after moving, my new duties required wire cutters, small pliers, and scissors more, and I eventually moved on to a LM Squirt PS4... although when traveling I upgrade to a Juice S2. Although I have larger multi-tools, I usually grab a small tool bag with real tools if I know I'm going to be doing any real work.
Curve-Blue_fulljpg.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for the Squirt PS4. I like that it has both pliers and scissors and I don't have to open it up to access most of the tools. But I use the pliers more than the scissors.

If, however, you don't need pliers or use the scissors a lot, the Micra's outstanding scissors would swing me in that direction.

I carried a Leatherman Micra, scissor model for several years. Later, I switched to a Victorinox Cavalier on my keyring, as the Leatherman Micra loosened up over time. It still had its spring tension, but it "rattled" a bit too much for me.

~Chris

Last edited:
Have you thought about a Juice S2? It should definitely fit in a change pocket. Much more capable then a squirt, although no locking tools, it does hit a sweet spot size wise. And it has probably the best scissors in an MT.

I need to look at the Juice S2 again. Been considering another multi-tool for the fun of it. Hard to beat the Squirt however for me.

Have you thought about a Juice S2? It should definitely fit in a change pocket. Much more capable then a squirt, although no locking tools, it does hit a sweet spot size wise. And it has probably the best scissors in an MT.
I need to look at the Juice S2 again. Been considering another multi-tool for the fun of it. Hard to beat the Squirt however for me.

For some years, I’ve had an off/on relationship with a Juice S2. Lately, I’ve been finding an S2 fills a a niche when carrying a dedicated knife. SAKs are better in terms of most implements - blade, scissors, bottle and can openers, awl, +/- for screwdrivers (SAK= longer reach, Leatherman=sharper cut) but only the Juice has “real” pliers. The other implements do their jobs well enough, and in a smaller package, so I’m carrying the S2 lately. But I revisit this all the time. Next week, who knows?

So I ended up with a green Micra. I figured good scissors were more important than pliers. I'm really happy with the purchase, but the Squirt PS4 and the Juice S2 are still calling out to me. I'm really trying to develop a minimalist approach to my EDC, but it's difficult when I want ALL the gear!

So I ended up with a green Micra. I figured good scissors were more important than pliers. I'm really happy with the purchase, but the Squirt PS4 and the Juice S2 are still calling out to me. I'm really trying to develop a minimalist approach to my EDC, but it's difficult when I want ALL the gear!

Congrats! You'll enjoy it a lot, so much you'll be getting a brother for it before Summer

CAM02874_zpsdgaguijx.jpg

two great tools, now get the Squirt...is the natural progression of things! :thumbsup:

2016-07-26%2008.48.43_zpswuvywawr.jpg

or start a Micra collection...:D

I use a pliers far more than a scissors, but I'm glad you got the Micra and are happy. It really is a nice little tool. I will eventually get one.

Last edited:
Congrats! You'll enjoy it a lot, so much you'll be getting a brother for it before Summer

CAM02874_zpsdgaguijx.jpg

two great tools, now get the Squirt...is the natural progression of things! :thumbsup:

2016-07-26%2008.48.43_zpswuvywawr.jpg

or start a Micra collection...:D

Well, at least one great thing about both the micra and squirt is, they are small enough that you can carry o ne in each pocket and be very well set up for what the day may bring!:thumbsup:

Little multitools are like little pocket knives like peanuts; it's easy to keep a few on you at one time.

Back