Your Favorite OBSCURE Spyder?

I felt the exact same way about my Phoenix. For me, it's the Spyderco Tusk hands down. I'm actually surprised how it's always overlooked when the SpydieChef got so much attention for having LC200N. Great design, feels great in hand, Taichung quality, and that marlin spike is surprisingly useful.

g8VZfKx.jpg
9GJ3Uzt.jpg

qnvtCFl.jpg

They made a carbon fibre for a minute but the feel of the G-10 is just better...throw some s90v on that...sweet!

The G-10 Harpy might just as well be put in the "Obscure Spyder" category because it's getting so rare>>however I'm holding out hope that a Sprint Run G-10 Harpy might be on the horizon. Yeah I do remember the Carbon Fiber Harpy models from 2005 era. And they were even available in SE & PE both.

Another Obscure Spyder in the Hawkbill category is old MERLIN model >> it was also available in PE & SE both. I guess you could say that the TASMAN is just an H-1 Merlin but there are other differences in the two models.

My Breeden Rescue Knife is a real oddball design. It's literally a giant straight razor.

I have a fully serrated Ayoob that I occasionally carry. This is not one of the recent sprint runs. Sweet knife. I also like to carry my mini manix - very solid knife - locks up like a bank vault.

I have a fully serrated Ayoob that I occasionally carry. This is not one of the recent sprint runs. Sweet knife. I also like to carry my mini manix - very solid knife - locks up like a bank vault.

The Spyderedged version of the Ayoob is truly one of my Holy Grail "users". It's one model I won't sell or trade unless under the most extreme circumstances.

The other Brother mentioned the Breeden RESCUE model which I always liked but never bought one because that knife should have been offered in Spyderedge and why it wasn't just outright baffled me.

Another Spyder I was just thinking about last night that I believe could fall into the obscure category would be the Spyderedged version of the Caly Jr. It's been a very long time since I've had my hands on one of them.

I have a Jess Horn jig bone, full serrations. Beautifully made knife. I don't know how obscure it is though. I think there were something like 1500 made, so probably not that rare.

I have a Jess Horn jig bone, full serrations. Beautifully made knife. I don't know how obscure it is though. I think there were something like 1500 made, so probably not that rare.

Oh yeah Brother!! that C-27 jigged bone Jess Horn model is most certainly in the rare/obscure sector all the way. If you gave me $1000 and let me have two weeks to find a mint condition C-27 Jess Horn ( PE OR SE) I couldn't at all guarantee you that I could come up with one. The last chance I had to buy one ( $500+) was about 5 years ago and he turned down my offer which I thought was good enough. I haven't had the chance to get one since. Nor have I seen one at any knife show, gun show or any auction for that matter.

Most all of the Jess Horn models with the possible exception of that burgundy ZDP-189 model they had back in 06 are probably all in the rare/obscure sector. There may have been 1500 made if you include SE & PE variants.

JD Spydo. Thanks for that info! I never really checked into the rarity of it. I did read where many think it one one of the best made Spydy's ever made and I wouldn't disagree. The seam where the blade meets the back spring is nearly invisible when open. I've had customs that weren't as well made....

JD Spydo. Thanks for that info! I never really checked into the rarity of it. I did read where many think it one one of the best made Spydy's ever made and I wouldn't disagree. The seam where the blade meets the back spring is nearly invisible when open. I've had customs that weren't as well made....

Another very unique aspect of that C-27 Jess Horn jigged bone model is that it has one main distinction of not having a Spyderhole>> instead it has a trapezoidal indent for opening and closing the blade. As far as I know it's the only Spyder ever made with that distinction. Also the serration pattern on the SE model of the C-27 is the only Spyder that has that particular pattern. No other serrated Spyder I'm aware of has anything like it.

It truly makes me wonder if Jess Horn himself overseen all of the manufacturing of that unit. Because there is just no other Spyder like it at all. Of all the models of Spyderco knives that people refer to as being a "holy grail" I would have to put this model at the very top of all of them

During the mid to late 90s when these could be found I heard that you literally had to special order them through dealers>> I can only remember ever seeing two of them at knife shows. I had a chance to get one for $400 at the 2004 BLADE SHOW in Atlanta but there were so many others I wanted so I passed. The guy did sell it during the show and he also had the white Micarta Jess Horn as well>> that model is also very rare. It's a very rare and unique Spyder.

Thanks again JD. Yes I love the serrations on this knife. Almost looks like decorative jimping. And a unique pattern. One question; mine has no serial # anywhere I can find. It does have the Jess Horn signature on the blade and is marked Japan on the tang. Is there any difference between the numbered and the unnumbered ones? Thanks much. Rob

Thanks again JD. Yes I love the serrations on this knife. Almost looks like decorative jimping. And a unique pattern. One question; mine has no serial # anywhere I can find. It does have the Jess Horn signature on the blade and is marked Japan on the tang. Is there any difference between the numbered and the unnumbered ones? Thanks much. Rob

I'm not exactly sure when they launched the Spyderco Collector Club>> it might have been going around that time. If it was then I would say that it is a Collector Club #number. With that piece it doesn't even matter if it was a collector number or not. Because that piece is going to be worth a lot just because of it's high demand and rarity. It was one of the very first of the ATS-34 era models.

Also I would say it's a lot like the C-60 Ayoob model in that there were a lot few Spyderedged models >> and because of that you might find the SE models to be higher in price. Not exactly sure on that one but I've noticed that the C-60 model in Spyderedge is sure fetching lofty prices. Unless I got a used one at a pawn shop or flea market I would never use a C-27 model if I were to get my hands on one.

:)Thank you for taking the time to answer JD. Very informative as it's hard to find a lot of details on this model. I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. It's made it this long so I'll just keep it safe in it's case.;) Thanks again. RP

Not my favourite but here's some obscure Spyderco for you.

How about the Spyderco Dive Probe and Mini Dive Probe?

Any of the below basically, enthusiastically biased towards the JaniSong and with a slight preference for the bi-fold as a back-up folder

G5llNyG.jpg

Not my favourite but here's some obscure Spyderco for you.

How about the Spyderco Dive Probe and Mini Dive Probe?

You could also add that Whale RESCUE model in that group too. But you're so right because you don't even hear of those models mentioned except about once in a very blue moon.

There are also some variants of the Snap-It and Remote Release models that are completely disappearing from the landscape as well which are sort of in that same sector.

One that I really want that I am so sad I missed out on is the Spyderco Kumo.

They need to do a Kumo sprint run because I feel like I missed out on the Kumo big time.

Back