Your Favorite OBSCURE Spyder?

One that I really want that I am so sad I missed out on is the Spyderco Kumo.

They need to do a Kumo sprint run because I feel like I missed out on the Kumo big time.

That is truly about the most obscure Spyderco fixed blade>> the KUMO was a nice design overall but I didn't like the cordage handle that Spyderco did it with. That would be a most interesting Sprint Run with one of the newer supersteels and possibly a Carbon Fiber ( first choice) or G-10 handle. I would not want a Sprint Run in it's original format>> Sorry

Another very obscure fixed blade that you rarely even hear talked about was their SPOT model. It had a very small blade but it was a most interesting collector's piece if nothing else.

never had the chance before they discontinued it. but i should would like one.

Jester-2.jpg

never had the chance before they discontinued it. but i should would like one.

Jester-2.jpg

Looks like the JESTER model. I'm a bit hesitant to put this one in the obscure category because at one time they were just as popular as the Ladybug and they were in the same size range. Now I will say that there were variants of the JESTER that I would definitely call obscure>> one being the Burgundy Micarta JESTER. I had two of those at one time and ended up trading both of them for Spyders I had more of need for.

You can probably say that the JESTER model played a big role in the evolution of the Ladybag and the popularity that the Ladybug enjoys today.

Currently on the hunt for a 93mm Citadel all black plain edge. I wish they would bring the Embassy and Citadel back, this time made in Golden not outsourced.

Interesting observation about the few GOLDEN made obscure Spyders. You could put the Vesuvius and first run 440C Meerkat on that list but there aren't too many others.

Also you could make a point to say that the first run GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made "RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK models are qualified for obscurity because it's getting almost impossible to find either one of those models made in GOLDEN, CO

Some specialty models like the MADDOX and Spydersaw certainly qualify for being obscure.

I like my Leafstorm a lot.Great EDC blade.Here it is with his custom brother,Wilkins Leafstorm.fullsizeoutput_b94.jpeg

I like my Leafstorm a lot.Great EDC blade.Here it is with his custom brother,Wilkins Leafstorm.View attachment 745398

Many of Spyderco's obscure models are truly some of their better models. When it comes to overall design I still rate the C-60 Ayoob model to be one of my all time favorite knife designs period. If they ever do another Sprint Run with M390 or one of the other supersteels I will probably buy at least 3 or 4 of them. The Spyderedged version of the C-60 is truly a very functional beast and probably their best serrated model ever.

How about the Terzuola C-15? I have one with anodized scales and numbered blade (plain edge). The action is as smooth as any Sebenza I've ever handled. I love the blade shape on it. Very cool knife.

How about the Terzuola C-15? I have one with anodized scales and numbered blade (plain edge). The action is as smooth as any Sebenza I've ever handled. I love the blade shape on it. Very cool knife.

Yeah I liked the C-15 and C-19 both. I've had a C-15 which I traded long ago but I've never had a C-19 model and that's the one I would have been tempted to EDC. As far as smooth action and fluid operation the older GUNTING model with one of the very first compression locks was a very smooth mechanism to say the least. Albeit I've had several Spyders that have had incredibly smooth actions.

I think the Dodo with it's Ball Bearing Lock was incredibly smooth as well. It is interesting that some of the more obscure models seem to have some of the best fit and finish as well.

I had to look up the Gunting but I remembered it as soon as I saw it. That was a very unique Spydie. The other one I really missed out on was the original Michael Walker. I was so close to ordering one when they came out, but it was a fairly high priced knife at that time so I passed on it. It seem like all the vintage Spyderco I really like are the rare ones that command the high prices. Ce la vi. Thanks JD

I had to look up the Gunting but I remembered it as soon as I saw it. That was a very unique Spydie. The other one I really missed out on was the original Michael Walker. I was so close to ordering one when they came out, but it was a fairly high priced knife at that time so I passed on it. It seem like all the vintage Spyderco I really like are the rare ones that command the high prices. Ce la vi. Thanks JD

The Michael Walker model was a Spyderco/Klotzli collaboration. Klotzli in my opinion is truly the king of Carbon Fiber handles. I would love to see another collaboration between those two companies. Of all the commercial knife companies that I like I will say that KLOTZLI has been in my top 5 of favorite knife companies for quite some time,

If you like that Michael Walker C-22 model you would really like that one Sprint Run between Spyderco and Kershaw>> the name of that beast was called the "SPYKER" >> it was my all time favorite recurve.

Breaking the Laguiole in gently ;)

Screenshot_20170807-185437.png

~Chip

I distinctly remember and I think it was back in the "IRONSTONE" days when they were selling those Laguiole models. Along with those SOLO, G-Sakai, and MOKI. Some of those non-Spyderco Spyders were very interesting needless to say. I remember one of G-Sakai's knives which was a stag handled hunting knife and it was gorgeous. I also liked some of the MOKI units too.

There was a few years there where i took a hiatus from keeping up with knives, and missed my chance for a t mag. Really regreted not snagging one, but just got a used one in the mail today, and it really is far better then i expected it to be. Just wowed about everything about it.
Its one of the few knives where i don't want to change anything about it. Size, ergos, materials, f&f. Just one that hits all the chords for me.
I heard they didnt sell very well when they were out, but would love if this came back out for a sprint run. I would suspect it didn't sell well due to the magnit feature(though i love it), but would love to see this with a compress lock. Think that would get it into more hands, so people could appreciate the design more.0810171950-1.jpg 0810171954-1.jpg

Last edited:
the Leafstorm is on my grail list (well, my somewhat inexpensive grail list :p). choil mod would be all the better, I love me some modded knives.

A lot of my OBSCURE GRAIL Spyders are also in my "user's" arsenal. Examples being all of my Ayoob models, all of my LUM models, one half of my JD Smith models, my two Dodo models and VG-10 PE & SE Spyderhawks just for starters. Not to mention my super rare Stainless handled RESCUE model>> those are really getting rare/obscure.

A lot of my OBSCURE GRAIL Spyders are also in my "user's" arsenal. Examples being all of my Ayoob models, all of my LUM models, one half of my JD Smith models, my two Dodo models and VG-10 PE & SE Spyderhawks just for starters. Not to mention my super rare Stainless handled RESCUE model>> those are really getting rare/obscure.

I don't understand. All my knives are users. Is this thread about safe queens? Owning a tool no one can use is a mental disorder.

Man, id love to get my hands on a janisong. The open/close functions on it fascinate me. However, for edc purposes i dont think itd be a great idea in NJ

The GUNTING truly was a "One Of A Kind" Spyder. It was so unique they actually had to have a trainer version for it. To me it had about the best compression lock of any Spyder I can remember and the pocket clip was way ahead of it's time.

The GUNTING was designed for highly specialized, specific purposes. It is probably one of the top 5 most obscure Spyders ever made. If anyone is lucky enough to have one of the S30V versions with a full plain edge it's a real treasure because I heard that they only made 100 of them. Personally I liked the 440V version of the GUNTING the best. Super obscure model and one with super quality as well.

Back