Your Honest Opinions on Gerber Multitools

Whatever works for you. The gears on the SOG Powerlock just add more gripping/turning power to my hands. I don't even notice the gears anymore, in my callused hands. I rarely use the blade on a multitool, it's there for backup with the serrations if I need serrations, because my EDC knife is always a plain edge. Most guys I know carrying a full-sized multitool do also carry a good locking folder. I like packing the fixed-blade RC-3 by RAT Cutlery. I hate to state it, but I have seen a decline in the quality of most cutlery products with the Gerber name on it over the past several years, it all seemed to start when they started making things in Asia.

When I first saw the Gerber tools l liked that the pliers could be opened with one hand, easier than a leatherman. Then I found out how easy it is to pinch your hand while using the pliers since it closes all the way. Somewhere in the swamp behind the flightline at Tuzla Bosnia is a Gerber tool, I threw it there over 10 years ago in a fit of rage when I got a huge blood blister while using it and the pliers slipped off the nut.

When I first saw the Gerber tools l liked that the pliers could be opened with one hand, easier than a leatherman. Then I found out how easy it is to pinch your hand while using the pliers since it closes all the way. Somewhere in the swamp behind the flightline at Tuzla Bosnia is a Gerber tool, I threw it there over 10 years ago in a fit of rage when I got a huge blood blister while using it and the pliers slipped off the nut.

In case you return some day, I hope you left a Kleenex tissue there to mark the spot :D

Pliers are indispensable, but seldom a good choice for use on nuts. Usually, when there is a possibility of having to do mechanical work on the fly without a proper tool kit, I tuck a 6 inch adjustable wrench into my NiteIze pouch to accompany a Leatherman Super Tool and Mini-Maglite. I can't tell you how many times that wrench came in handy...actually, not that many, but often enough to earn its keep.

I like the Gerber 600 line and it's cousins, i.e. Diesel, 800 etc. I think they have great pliers, are rugged and unlike most multi's they do not fold up when you use them the opposite whey they were intended :)

...Gerber tools ... I got a huge blood blister while using it and the pliers slipped off the nut.

I got a blood blister from my Gerber multitool, too. Sold the Gerber and haven't bought another Gerber since. The screwdriver shafts on the Gerber tools are too short and most Gerber multitools are now made in China -- a dealbreaker for me.

Yeah, I had a bloodblister from my Gerber "palm-pincher" model. Not from turning nuts, but from cutting wire. Didn't chunk it, it was USA made, just gave it away. A friend of mine has a similar model that is made in China....it is lighter in weight....and broken. I have no problem flipping my SOG Powerlock open with one hand every time I need to use it. Those gears really do work, it cuts wire better than any multitool I've tried out. But just like a lot of other things, when it comes to multitools, it comes down to what works best for you and what fits your needs. If I worked in an office all of the time, I would tote something smaller.

I have one I bought in the 90's. I didn't have any issues with the quality but when using the pliers I had it slip a couple of times and pinch my palm. I haven't used the pliers for a while for anything serious but the rest of the tools get used sometimes.

I thought Gerber changed the design to address the blood blister problem many years ago. I have gotten a blood blister from a Leatherman Juice. They can pinch, too. It is not exclusively a Gerber problem.

The pinchy handles have been solved twice by Gerber. Once with introduction of the MP600 series pre-1998 and the subsequent discontinuation of all non-locking MultiPliers in 1999. Seems like painful gripes take a long time to dissipate. I never had a problem with the pinchy handles myself, seems like it's similar to the SOG gear teeth. If you don't modify your grip slightly it hurts.

The second time was with the introduction of the Freehand/Diesel/Flik series. These tools take it a step further, whereas the MP series handles are still parallel when the pliers are opened there is a sprung system the pushes out the handles and creates an angle similar to typical butterfly opening tools.

The pinchy handles have been solved twice by Gerber. Once with introduction of the MP600 series pre-1998 and the subsequent discontinuation of all non-locking MultiPliers in 1999. Seems like painful gripes take a long time to dissipate. I never had a problem with the pinchy handles myself, seems like it's similar to the SOG gear teeth. If you don't modify your grip slightly it hurts.

True, but something like a no-questions-asked trade-in deal would have been cool by Gerber. But in the cutlery business, not everyone will offer such things when money is the bottom line instead of customer service. SOG gear teeth I have no trouble with, I guess I'm a rare bird on that one. Any product that does have quality to it like that USA-made Gerber I had (despite it being a "palm-pincher" it was a quality product) or the SOG Powerlock I EDC now, is going to be around a long time. So expect to hear the gripes a long time. It comes with the territory on any good product that has its flaws.

My first multi was a gerber back in the mid 90's. Blunt nose, nonlocking tools but still a great tool. I replaced that with a lm wave when they first hit the market, I liked it at first but then reverted back to the gerber. Since then I have gotten( been issued) about 5 or 6 different gerbers, needle nose, blunt, black coating, and finally the diesel. I can personally atest to the steady decline in quality over the last 10 or so years. About 3 years ago I permantly retired all my gerbers to my vehicle toolkits or given them to friends. I am now carrying a SOG powerlock and can honestly say after handling recent offerings by leatherman, gerber, and swiss army that hands down the best tool is SOG. It is easy to open, tool change outs are a breeze, and the pliers are the best on the market (true needle nose). I switched the saw and the combo edge knife for a PE knife and a sheepsfoot serrated. It is a little heavier than the other multi's out there but the leather carrying case is also top notch, probably the nicest I've seen come from a manufacturer.

My first multi was a gerber back in the mid 90's. Blunt nose, nonlocking tools but still a great tool. I replaced that with a lm wave when they first hit the market, I liked it at first but then reverted back to the gerber. Since then I have gotten( been issued) about 5 or 6 different gerbers, needle nose, blunt, black coating, and finally the diesel. I can personally atest to the steady decline in quality over the last 10 or so years. About 3 years ago I permantly retired all my gerbers to my vehicle toolkits or given them to friends. I am now carrying a SOG powerlock and can honestly say after handling recent offerings by leatherman, gerber, and swiss army that hands down the best tool is SOG. It is easy to open, tool change outs are a breeze, and the pliers are the best on the market (true needle nose). I switched the saw and the combo edge knife for a PE knife and a sheepsfoot serrated. It is a little heavier than the other multi's out there but the leather carrying case is also top notch, probably the nicest I've seen come from a manufacturer.

I have been looking into getting a SOG paratool. Do you have any experience with those?

True, but something like a no-questions-asked trade-in deal would have been cool by Gerber.

Such a deal wouldn't make sense.

Functionally, there was nothing wrong with the pliers. I have used them for a long time and have never pinched myself; it's not like they were improperly constructed or dangerous.

Morablades,

I have a Paratool, I've been EDCing it for a few weeks. It's an excellent form factor and can be modified with other implements fairly easily. I replaced the knife blades in mine with a saw and a file. Fit/finish are good, overall tool choice is good and functionally it appears to be up to industry standards. Be aware that it has no locks though and is not as streamlined as a butterfly-opening tool. Similar to accessing the implements in the MP-series it takes 5 steps to open any of the implements. Pliers can easily be opened/closed with one hand and the tension is fairly adjustable. I plan to buy a black oxide version later on.

Such a deal wouldn't make sense.

Functionally, there was nothing wrong with the pliers. I have used them for a long time and have never pinched myself; it's not like they were improperly constructed or dangerous.

No, financially it wouldn't have made sense for Gerber, I was implying when money is the bottom line and not customer service, they're not going to do it.

Yes, functionally there was nothing wrong mechanically with the pliers. The problem with the design lied in poor physical ergonomics. It is good they remedied the problem. Kudos to you for not getting your palms pinched... sort of like the SOG gears never bothering me. You see, those SOG gears are actually another ergonomics problem. They make the Powerlock cut through heavy wire like butter, but they are a problem to many people's hands.

The gears shouldn't be a problem anymore, the new version has gear covers. The gears aren't a problem for me anyways. My hands are pretty calussed and I wear gloves at work alot of the time. Another trick I learned is to use a hankerchief and use it like a pad over the gears. IMO the usefulness of the gears for the extra leverage far exceeds the minor ergo problems.

Morablades, I've had a paratool for years. I had one of the pins fall out, but that's my fault for not ever checking it. I called SOG and they sent out a couple of new ones free of charge along with a couple of new sheaths. The only thing is when you really wrench down on the pliers they seem to want to fold up. It's not a big problem, just a minor annoyance. Otherwise it's a pretty good tool.

I carried one of older model gerber for years (still do), and love it. I've had 3lb bass one the front treble and my thumb in the back, and the tool had easily opened with a racing heart, and later help freed myself from the hook. The saw is useful for cutting down figner size saplings for turkey hunting. I also use it regularly at work for taking apart machines to clean.

Last week one of my friend who is a supplier for Gerber went to the Gerber plant in Portland for a meeting and told them what a big fan I am of gerber stuff. So they shipped me 2 new multitools and an axe to me for free.

My first impression is that the multitools are not of the same quality as the old ones. The Diesel was of similar configurations as my old model, but the tools sticks when you try to open them and the nail nics are useless. You also can't flick it open like the old model, because the handle opens a bit during the opening, so you can only flick it open if you are only holding one of the handle.

The other model I received is the Flick. It's an obvious competition for the wave, except the knife doesn't open smoothly one handed. It also came with THE most useless serrated blade I've ever seen. It wouldn't cut the paper handle off a shopping bag my wife has. On the plus side,it's a bit more comfy to sqeeze on and the tip of the plier no longer sticks out to rip at your Dickies. The shealth that the flick came with is cool looking as well.

As far as my opinion of their current stuff, I wouldn't buy their multitools. The quality just isn't there. The new axe I got seemed ok, have to wait till the next long weekend to give it a try.

I also own a folding saw, a hachet from the 90s and an extra large camp axe that's a few years old plus another multi for my wife from them. Never had a rusting problem, but I'm not exposed to salt water, except my sweat hands.

Last edited:
The gears shouldn't be a problem anymore, the new version has gear covers. The gears aren't a problem for me anyways. My hands are pretty calussed and I wear gloves at work alot of the time. Another trick I learned is to use a hankerchief and use it like a pad over the gears. IMO the usefulness of the gears for the extra leverage far exceeds the minor ergo problems.

Well, it will continue to be a problem for some buyers though, because I still see lots of the original Powerlocks with exposed gears hanging up for sale new in the store. I'm like you though, they don't bother me with my callused hands.

Back