Your ideal "4 big blades" configuration

Every multi-plier tool has four big blades nearest to the handles. Like the Surge would have a straight blade, serrated blade, scissors, and file. The Swisstool Spirit would have scissors, wood saw, metalfile/saw, and combi-edge blade. The Core has the straight knife, serrated knife, metal/wood file, and saw, etc. etc.

My dream configuration would be clip-point knife and scissors on the one-hand deploy side (I own a Surge and Wave), and diamond file/crosscut file and wood saw on the other. Don't really have much use for the serrated blade. And I hope they put two blade exchangers on the Surge.

What's your ideal "big blades" configuration on a multi-tool?

v8_andrew_m said:
Every multi-plier tool has four big blades nearest to the handles. Like the Surge would have a straight blade, serrated blade, scissors, and file. The Swisstool Spirit would have scissors, wood saw, metalfile/saw, and combi-edge blade. The Core has the straight knife, serrated knife, metal/wood file, and saw, etc. etc.

My dream configuration would be clip-point knife and scissors on the one-hand deploy side (I own a Surge and Wave), and diamond file/crosscut file and wood saw on the other. Don't really have much use for the serrated blade. And I hope they put two blade exchangers on the Surge.

What's your ideal "big blades" configuration on a multi-tool?
Bingo! Thats exactly the way I would like mine. Get rid of the serrated blade. And put in another tool exchanger.

I have this idea on how they can make all the big 4 blades on the Surge to open one-handed. As it is the hinge on the tool are clumped together on the pivot part of the plier-head. What they should do is to keep the pivot of the straight and serrated blade. As for the blade exchanger and scissors, the pivot point should be on the opposite end of the plier handle. That way all the big blades open one-handed no matter how you hold your blade (the assumption of course that you're right-handed).

Forgive my very crude drawing. Granted, I don't have Zhazl's drawing skills, but this is what I'm trying to say. I hope tool makers pick up on this idea. If they configure blades this way it means all the big blades can be opened one handed.

untitledlh3.png

What do you guys think?

It depends. If I am carrying a plainedged Spyderco as usual, than I would want a serrated blade, file, saw and scissors. If my EDC was serrated, I would want a plain edge on the multitool instead of the serrated blade. When I am not carrying another knife at all, I would want both serrated and plain edged blades, if possible and would give up the scissors on the multitool and carry a Swisscard Lite to get them back. If I didn’t want to carry a separate tool for the scissors, I would want the file, saw, scissors and a combo edged blade.

- Frank

Back