Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Any ideas what might cause the odd exposed blade area etch?
I buy old knives in various states of disrepair, and it's interesting to play "knife detective". :)
I've seen a similar pattern of rust or patina when a knife is stored near a celluloid handled knife that's outgassing. The part of the blade that's inside the well is more protected from the fumes.
Since your knife is stainless steel rather than carbon, I'm thinking it must have been stored in a very caustic environment.

You could probably use some Flitz polish to shine the blades back up, or maybe leave them frosty. It gives the knife character. :thumbsup:

2017-04-22-18-04-32-jpg.jpeg

Been wanting a Case stockman this size for a while(6318) This one is new to me, bug not "new"(will run date code later, for exact year). Truesharp, and I believe this to be the amber bone(?).

True color is about half way between the front and back side pics for tone and brightness.. Looks like it's been dropped to a hard surface, cracked good, but no pieces loose.

Blades are also shiny inside the frame, or behind other blades, but satin or etched somehow where exposed.(??!?) Weird!

Sheepsfoot is sharp, spey sorta sharp, main blade is duller than dish water. ;)

Overall not bad for $20! I'll give the bone a stabilizing treatment, clean it, sharpen it, and carry it!

2017-04-22-18-04-02-jpg.jpeg

img_20170422_171720_035.jpg

img_20170422_171720_030.jpg

img_20170422_171720_031.jpg

2017-04-22-18-05-17-jpg.jpeg

Any ideas what might cause the odd exposed blade area etch?

Coins in your pocket. As it jiggles around, the exposed parts get a little more beauty marks. Note how the bolsters match the exposed areas.

That is seriously cool!

Now that thing is cool! Nice score!
I've seen those before, but I don't think with that many ruler section.. Interesting!
Thanks for the affirmation, r8shell & Ice Tigre! :)

Here's another Marbles from my most recent knife purchasing spree. Coincidentally, it has a little ruler on its main blade! ;) Marbles calls it a Workman series trapper, but it seems like some kind of scout variation to me: spearpoint main blade, bottle opener/wire stripper/flathead screwdriver blade, Philips screwdriver, bail. Stainless steel and G-10 covers should be durable.
JBIJT9D.jpg

CsL7xho.jpg

- GT

As always tons of great knives everyone. Congratulations to all their on newest additions. I had my best week to date last week in terms of new knives. I was able to check several off of my list of most wanted and just happened to stumble into a few others. So far in the mail I've received a new to me blood red sawcut Soda Scout. Had one of these in the stable before and sold it several weeks ago... won't make that mistake ever again! Then was able to find two TC Barlow's thanks to @kennywoo: a gorgeous ebony PPP spear point and fantastic saddle brown sawcut clip point! The saddle brown clip I had posted in the WTB Forum around 6 months ago, patience does pay off. Also two more 77 Barlow's coming, will update with pictures they arrive. I'm running out of pockets!

X81Jk9K.jpg

USPS finally decided to deliver this one from Andy Fannin. I'm really impressed. I can't find a single flaw. All of the grinds are symmetrical, everything is flush and tight. No play, good W&T. Fairly easy pull with good snap. S30V blade. I think I found a new favorite.

BB83F989-9810-4E6F-B9E4-B0011A5966CB_zpspkgilghh.jpg

Bill, the Fannin is great.

Bill, the bonestag version is perfection (well, as close as possible). If you like Case's bonestag I'm going to start a thread about it. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan. I'm especially happy with the bonestag since that was my first choice.

Back