Your thoughts on Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Multi-Tool with Pouch

jwh

I have an old Gerber Multi Tool that I love and a recently purchased Leatherman Wingman that I have not had long enough to judge. I was curious as to how those who own these would compare them to the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Multi-Tool with Pouch . If you have any of the Victorinox SwissTools (not SAK) what are your thoughts on them? Thanks.

jwh

Swisstools are heavy duty workhorses. They are durable, well-designed and manufactured, possibly the best multitools on the market. But heavy. The Swisstool Spirits are the same quality but in a lighter weight, more ergonomic package. The best of the best.

I like Leatherman, but the only large multi I have kept is a Swisstool Spirit. All the others, Gerber, SOG, Leatherman, have been good tools but when someone needed one, I gave them away.

The Vic Sisstool Spirit X is probably my favorite multi of all time.The quality is excellent.:thumbup:

I love the Spirit. Got one a few years ago and have never looked back for any other full size multitool. I find all the tools easy to access and open and I like the locking system. The only thing I'd change is to have a different shape for the knife blade but since I'm always carrying a pocketknife that's a moot point when it comes to cutting something.

I love the ergo's of my Spirit. Feels much better in the hand than my Leatherman's Wave. Way better fit and finish too. I also like the sheath more. Time will tell if it's as rugged though. So far it as been a great addition to my camping gear.

Thnaks folks. I love all of my SAK's which got me to thinking.......should get a Victorinox Multi Tool. Any old excuse.

jwh

I have an original SwissTool. It is well made and has a great tool selection. All outside accessible, all locking, impeccable fit & finish. The only drawback is the size and weight, which I understand the Spirit addresses nicely. I'd buy one in a second if I were in the market for another plier-based MT.

The only possible drawback is that it is highly polished, and this extends to the screwdriver edges, so you have to be a little more careful not to slip out of slotted screw heads with it than with a Leatherman. However, if you DO slip, you probably won't gouge a hole in your other hand with it! ;)

I have an original SwissTool. It is well made and has a great tool selection. All outside accessible, all locking, impeccable fit & finish. The only drawback is the size and weight, which I understand the Spirit addresses nicely. I'd buy one in a second if I were in the market for another plier-based MT.

The only possible drawback is that it is highly polished, and this extends to the screwdriver edges, so you have to be a little more careful not to slip out of slotted screw heads with it than with a Leatherman. However, if you DO slip, you probably won't gouge a hole in your other hand with it! ;)

Thanks for your input Jeremy

jwh

It's a great tool and the socket set as well as cork screw are actually useful . My only grouse is the pouch I just don't like it but its not easy to find an aftermarket to fit the side tools it comes with.

I own an old ST and the new Spirit, and even after years of use, I frequently find myself aimlessly fiddling around with them admiring this piece of awe-inspiring craftmanship. No other knife or MT I own comes remotely close to this level of accuracy and quality, and it isn't much of a surprise that they're backed up by the best warranty on the market. Swisstools are the Sebenzas of MTs and, opposed to those, they're even quite affordable. The only valid reason not to have one would be some very specific tool preferences like one-hand opening blades. I also like Leatherman a lot, but I dislike the fact that their QC has gotten rather sloppy, so you need to buy them at a shop where you can double check their fit and finish, whereas with a ST, you don't need to worry whether the quality will be ok, even when ordering them online.

Thanks for the additional information folks. It looks like the Spirit gets a thumbs up.

jwh

O.K., I was pushed over the cliff. The Spirit X should be here next week.

jwh

The Vic Sisstool Spirit X is probably my favorite multi of all time.The quality is excellent.:thumbup:

+1 The Swisstool X is the perfect size, weight and combination of tools (two types of saw, PE blade, and awesome scissors) I like to carry mine in my front left pocket ('zaan in the right) or on my belt with the bit driver set and cork-screw.

+1 The Swisstool X is the perfect size, weight and combination of tools (two types of saw, PE blade, and awesome scissors) I like to carry mine in my front left pocket ('zaan in the right) or on my belt with the bit driver set and cork-screw.

Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait! I get that kid at Christmas syndrome while waiting. LOL

jwh

For me, the Spirit is the "best" for EDC because it packs so much utility into a manageable size. But it won't be the "best" for the guy on the job site who needs a beefier tool or more leverage on the plier head, or the guy who wants replaceable wire cutters, etc.

20120501_202634.jpg

Leatherman Rebar, top, and beater black oxide Swisstool Spirit. The Rebar may be the closest contender to the Swisstool for EDC belt carry - when utility and convenience are given priority. But the Swisstool has outside tools and scissors lacking in the Rebar, plus a build quality and smoothness of action with which the Rebar can't compete.

If you like your girls with some meat on the bone, consider a heavy honey like the Swisstool.

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Back