Yvsa- anyone know him or can help?

I wish I'd known him first hand. Unfortunately, I did not. That said, I've read countless of his posts from the archives. A true legend through and through. Unfortunately, the best I can do and truly appreciate all he accomplished.

Welcome, I did not have the opportunity to interact with your grandfather, but I know he was highly regarded, and that several HI blade models bear his honored name.

It really shows respect that the kami had/have that they made awls with broken tips in true fidelity to the models!

Several times. Uncle had a hard time making them understand what the deal was.
Kind of chuckle just thinking about it.

Beautiful!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am going to post a picture of one of the very first knives he made when he was younger. It is my most favorite knife. I have never felt a better knife in my hand and its spectacularly beautiful. I'm sure he never posted a picture of it since my dad had it before the digital world.

3C685CF5-55B6-4B02-8989-75AADAE0928D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

C21A7209-300C-4EE3-B8F5-AF2CC8ED68B8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8AFD3D23-AE60-4C08-8BF1-2D33A57ABE50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

977C5A84-1F70-42F2-8785-EDCEE9A6FBCA.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is Yvsa's very first custom knife. Whatcha think? It is the most special knife I have.

That's drop dead gorgeous. Makes me want to break out the oil and steel wool and stop that rust though. Don't store it in that sheath anymore if you do so now. That leather attracts moisture and helps that rust.
Looks about 9 or 10'' long overall?

Beautiful thing and very very special.

Yes. It needs some attention. Not sure the best way to clean it up. It displays on the wall in the living room. I have never felt a more balanced knife. The walnut handle feel is like it was molded around my hand. Truly special.

Yes. It needs some attention. Not sure the best way to clean it up. It displays on the wall in the living room. I have never felt a more balanced knife. The walnut handle feel is like it was molded around my hand. Truly special.

OOOO steel wool and 3 in 1 oil, rub gentle and it will virtually melt away the rust. Avoid contact with the wood, it could burnish the finish and oil soaked wood is not a good thing.

You could get some CorrosionX. It's good for killing any corrosion. Just put some on paper towels and rub quickly. It's a good idea to leave a small residue of it on the blade too.

A little Flitz or Brasso on the handle hardware. Linseed oil on the wood maybe first to prevent the other stuff from damaging the wood as BB mentioned.

The brass should polish up like a new penny. The blade looks a bit pitted and might be tough or impossible to get 100% again.

Still cool even untouched.

That is a fine knife, and a practical design. I wonder if Yangdu could have one of the kamis make copies, based on these pictures (with dimensions). Forumites would be lining up to buy them.

I agree with Bawanna that it looks like 9" or 10" overall length. That would make the handle size about right for most people, I think.

That is sweet! Even has a gut hook! The handle shape helps keep the knife from slipping out while your pulling some critters guts out. Yum! Id scotchbrite or 0000 wool like the others said and BLO the whole knife.

If they make copies I'd wish for a scaled down to about 7 1/2" length. I guess as I mature I lean more towards small things? It's so pretty it deserves to be carried everyday and 9 or 10" is getting towards the longish side at least for me.

That would be a tough one for them to duplicate. A lot of fine fitting in that handle arrangement.

I bet I can get it 3D printed for the form and send that to them.... Hmmmm. You guys may be onto something very special!!! Let me do some research.

If they make copies I'd wish for a scaled down to about 7 1/2" length. I guess as I mature I lean more towards small things? It's so pretty it deserves to be carried everyday and 9 or 10" is getting towards the longish side at least for me.

That would be a tough one for them to duplicate. A lot of fine fitting in that handle arrangement.

My only concern about shortening the overall length is that the handle might then be too short. That could be solved by keeping the handle size and just shortening the blade, but then the proportions would be off.

Best solution would be to make it in two sizes, which is not unusual for HI knives.

You are right that it would be a difficult design for the kamis to duplicate, but that just means it would take more time and the knife could be priced accordingly.

Yeah, sadly that's what happened with the Micro Bowie. The original 18 with the shorter handle were perfect.
The big hands requested the inch longer handle and it hasn't been the same since.

Wish I'd kept 3 or 4 of the originals instead of giving them away. But mine will undoubtedly outlast me so guess it's not a big deal after all.

We all know what happened last time someone messed with Yvsa's knife design. LMAO.

He designed and made this knife in 1974! I suggest we keep it the way he wanted it. No telling what he might do if we modified it! Haha.

Back