Yvsa's Cherokee Rose. + + + + + + +!!!!!!!

Osiyo everyone.
I thought it might be a good time to bring this up once again so everyone would remember it.:p

I also wanted to give a Big Welcome to the new Cantina-ites that have found there way here that I haven't gotten to welcome yet!!!!:D
Some of them already in the throws of full blown HIKV and absolute members of our continually growing family here.:eek: ;) :rolleyes:
And by bringing the pic of Yvsa's Cherokee Rose back to the fore and with the new Cantina-ites perhaps seeing it for the 1st time, it may give Tsimi some added competition as well, as adding to the possible general upcoming feeding frenzy that may take place over the first few that make it to Reno.
I think there's a few Cantina-ites that already have first dibs on the first ones made though.:)
However, We all know who's getting the first ones provideing they come in too specifications.:p :rolleyes: :D HEE HEE

attachment.php

Brother, I have been working far too many "high security" shifts lately...been away from the Cantina too long...hadn't seen that pic before.:eek:

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!:) :D :)

Originally posted by Town Sergeant
Brother, I have been working far too many "high security" shifts lately...been away from the Cantina too long...hadn't seen that pic before.:eek:

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!:) :D :)

Wado equa Bro.
And she isn't even wasp waisted, no matter being a tad, just a tad over 20" over all length.:D

We're all just hopeing, and I admit to doing some praying as well, that the Cherokee Rose comes in conforming perfectly to specifications.
The weight can even be a little heavy if the balance is "spot on."
The balance being spot on is my biggest concern as that will make or break her.
Being spot on means that the Rose will completely disappear in ones hand no matter the weight, within reason of course, I'm thinking maybe a tad over a couple of pounds being max weight.:)
And a pound and a quarter bordering on perfection, but I'm expecting about 1 and 1/2 pounds.
This is Not a Wimpy Bowie Knife!!!!

As long as the Rose meets specs I don't care if the surprise I sent along with her works out or not although it would be nice if it did.
Just a little iceing on the cake so to speak. :rolleyes: :p :D

That's lovely Yvsa, I especially like the guard. What is the history behind this piece? Or is there a thread you can point me to? Thank you.

"However, We all know who's getting the first ones. HEE HEE "

tsimi0.jpg

...We'll just see about that! That crazy NDN's knife needs to be 'RESEARCHED' before Uncle Bill sells any in the Cantina. No one appreciates the selfless sacrifices I go through in the name of science.

Originally posted by Dave K
Hey!

Get in line behind my katar!:p

-Dave

Thanks Dawi and Burke.:)

Sorry Dawi, But this model went to Nepal on Jan. 9th. 2,002, long before your Katar!!!!:p ;)
Actually it shouldn't be too much longer before we see the prototypes, I hope.

Burke there were a few of us really wanting a nice Scagel Style Bowie so I undertook the task of making the model. I got into a whole helluva lot more than I intended as to make the model so pieces like the guard wouldn't break off I had to make the model just as the knife would be made.
First the blade then the guard and finally the handle. I actually started on the blade in April of 2,001 and health and other issues kept me from finishing it until January of 2,002.
If I had of made the guard integeral with the white pine blade the grain would've allowed the guard to break off with hardly any pressure at all.
I was actually worried that it might break off as I was cutting it out.
I wound up making the guard from a piece of Sycamore that's not only very strong, but has a multidirection grain not easily broken in two.

Then the handle. I studied on that handle for about 3 months and its final design took several weeks!!!!!!!
There's more to a good knife design than what a lot of people normally wouldn't think about.
First of all the handle Absolutely Had to be long enough to help balance the 13" blade!!!!
Then the handle had to be designed so that it would fit almost everyones hands well, not an easy task in itself. It also had to be designed so that there's actually two gripping areas on it.
The 1st grip of course up next to the guard made so that it wouldn't dig into ones hand on a hard stab and then made so it would be comfortable held all the way at the back and made so it wouldn't easily slip forward if you were chopping.
The top rear is nicely rounded on its top to facilitate a chopping motion rotateing quite nicely in ones hand.
I made it just on a little bit larger scale than what's totally comfortable to me but the handle can always be made smaller by the owner if need be.
Making it larger could be done by tapeing it I suppose, but I hate tape on knife handles.
Hopefully its design will accommadate the larger folk among us.:)

Image here............
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1488253

Thread here...........
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181948&highlight=HISsSB

Dawi this is an e-mail of the post made by Uncle Bill that I C & P'd outta the forum so I would know when it was shipped to Nepal.:)

Cherokee Rose Bowie shipped to Nepal on Jan 9th 2,002

Originally posted by Bill Martino.

Model looks good -- handle is great looking, better finish that we'll see on the steel version. Everything looks doable. I'll get it shipped to Nepal tomorrow.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)
Himalayan Imports Shopping Site

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-08-2002 01:42 PM

If this model is going to replace the AK bowie, why not a scaled down version for us smaller folk. :D

Bro,

Your careful considerations and knowlege are evident in every line of this design. I look forward to becoming a happy owner!

One of the great joys in life is being able to tease a Bro who can take it and dish it, too!

I think all of us are going to have a great laugh over this and laughter is the very best medicine it the world. Once I learned to laugh at myself my life got dramatically better and I discovered that I'm crazier and funnier than anybody I know. So, I laugh a lot at my own idiosyncracies and I think that's one of the reasons I'm still here.

Life is just one big joke -- and it's on us!!!!!!!!

Yea Uncle, I have to absolutely and totally agree with you.

If you can't laugh at it all (at least most of it) you've got trouble.

Back