Recommendation? ZT0350 serrated or plain

Which edge is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im dead set on getting a Zt 0350bw. I want it bad but i know im not capable of sharpening a recurve so i figured i could pass by getting serrations since it'll be better than a dull regular edge . But i know I'll get less cutting edge if i get the combo edge. So either Zt 0350bw or a Zt0350 with serrations and the solid black dlc coating. The sharpeners i have are diamond stones but are sitting on a plastic case so i can't use the edge to sharpen. And i use a Dmt folding extra fine sharpener but i dont know if it'll fit in the recurve. Someone help me out. Im able to get a hair whittling edge with my other knives but i still consider myself a rookie. I just dont want to mess up the beautiful design of the recurve and its edge.

I got 1 of each of plain edge, bw plain and bw partial serrated during a discounting promotion. Also an amateur sharpener, I use the dmt diafold for all my knives (except machete)after trying stone, SPYDERCO SM, ceramic rod, etc. I was able to do serrations with one of the lansky stones(without the setup rig). For recurve, if you don't want to freehand it with the dmt try some stropping paste on canvas, but don't let it get dull.

Sharpening a recurve is simple, just think outside the box. Get a 2" piece of PVC and wrap it with 220 or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, use a rounded/oval diamond hone, send it into ZT or the guys on here that sharpen as needed, etc. I love the 300 series of knives. I used to carry a 350 daily for over a year and a half. It was and remains one of my favorite knives. Definitely a keeper.

Thank you guys so much. Does the blackwash look good? I have a blackwash leek and i love it but in pictures the blackwash on the 0350 looks like dirty scratched up satin more than blackwash

At first I didn't realize the difference. The 2 coated blades I got were black dlc not "blackwash" They are all black and look great. I can't comment on the blackwash

I voted PE. I don't like serrations. I'd buy the PE and spend $10 or less and find the cheapest recurve on the market to practice sharpening a recurve blade. Since you sharpen your own anyways, it's a skill that you will eventually want to learn...right?

You're right. I picked up a swap meet knife with a recurve, I'll practice on that. And thank you everyone, this is my first post and everyone has been incredibly helpful

Sharpening a recurve is simple, just think outside the box. Get a 2" piece of PVC and wrap it with 220 or 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, use a rounded/oval diamond hone, send it into ZT or the guys on here that sharpen as needed, etc. I love the 300 series of knives. I used to carry a 350 daily for over a year and a half. It was and remains one of my favorite knives. Definitely a keeper.
This. I use an inexpensive ceramic rod and never had a problem with recurves. If you let it get too dull send it to ZT and they will take care of it.

Been carrying my ZT0350 for about 7 years now as my EDC. I haven't found sharpening it to be all that difficult, just gotta be careful if you are free handing to keep the angle...which was weird at first, but you will get used to it. It honestly hasn't needed to be sharpened much at all. I also have a ZT0100, but that thing has barely been out of the case LOL. Not sure if I will ever really need a knife that crazy. And yes, good call on getting a practice recurve to practice your sharpening.

Should i just invest in $20 for a lansky turn box ? Just to make things a lot easier. I don't want to spend $60 for a sharpmaker. Im thinking that's the way to go instead of guessing and buying sandpaper over and over whenever i want to sharpen it

I have the plain edge. I reprofiled with a lansky sharpening system. Then i use the lansky blade medic to keep it sharp. I only use the ceramic portion on the blade medic. I have it shaving sharp with this set up. I would get the plain edge that way tou can laern to sharpen recurves. If you get more you will know how to sharpen them well. The turn box looks like a good choice to keep the factory edge sharp.

I have the serrated and love it. The serrations on this knife are much finer than most other serrations out there and cutting rope, plastics, rubber feels more like cutting bread with a serrated bread knife where as on the flipside serrations on most other blades just feels like you're tearing your way through. However I recommend getting both cause once you get one you'll want the other anyway. Can't go wrong either way, the recurve of the plain will help get better purchase on whatever you're cutting.

I think the main thing is if you like serrations and use them. If you like them and use them then get it. If not then don't settle on it just due to sharpening reasons. I have a couple knives with serrations but don't tend to use them much. When I first started buying knives they all had serrations. Mainly due to not being able to sharpen them.

If you like your recurve, you can keep your recurve. If not...
fb3bXpQ.jpg

Should i just invest in $20 for a lansky turn box ? Just to make things a lot easier. I don't want to spend $60 for a sharpmaker. Im thinking that's the way to go instead of guessing and buying sandpaper over and over whenever i want to sharpen it

it is well worth it to do so. I use a turnbox often for touch ups and it handles recurves better than the SM, in my opinion.

I haven t had trouble sharpening my 0350. Have used a Sharpmaker. That s a good investment in itself.

I bought a 350 with a serrated edge because that is what they had at the shop.

Recurves don't bother me. I'm a khukuri guy. I'm also not one to get bent out of shape about combo edges. Serrations are fine. If I find I knife I like and it sports some teeth, I'm ok with that.

However, once I buggered my 350's teeth trying to cut through a nylon packaging band...that turned out to be steel:eek:, I sent it off to ZT for a tune up and paid the $30 to have a new plain edge installed.

I will say that I prefer the plain edge over the serrated, but until I goofed up the teeth, I doubt I would have ever worn them down enough to be a real issue.

My final thoughts: The 350 may be the finest work knife I have ever carried. I have 6 ZT knives, and the 350 is not my favorite.

However, it is my most carried and heavily used edc blade. There has never been a job it couldn't tackle, and even after suffering a few dings to the edge during honest use, it sharpens out so nicely and is ready for more. If you had to pick one ZT to use on a day to day, the 350 should be way up on your list.

I use my zt0630 (and sometimes my zt0620) every day for daily use and in my mind its a classier knife (i love big knives. Weight is no issue) but i want a 0350 just for harder use since i feel the tip could handle more, little smaller, and i just love everything about it. (I did consider the 0566 but doesn't interest me) i love knives i dont have to baby but could use hard. Could it handle harder use or should i just use it for edc? Ive been watching non stop videos about it and reading forums, im just trying to get as much info as i can.

Back