“Collectors” Article by Dan Lawson

https://www.akti.org/22638-2/

This article by Dan Lawson of AKTI was just published in the December issue of Knife Magazine.

Widespread belief persists about the existence of a “bigfoot” hominid in North American forests. Likewise, many believe there is a get-out-of-jail free “collector” exception to laws regarding the possession of restricted or prohibited knives. Some states do provide limited exceptions in applicable statutes for antique weapons, including knives.

It’s a very interesting article that’s worth a read.

Sounds like if you want to "collect" a bunch of switchblades and balisongs you should be doing that in a state where they're already legal for carry.

Sounds like if you want to "collect" a bunch of switchblades and balisongs you should be doing that in a state where they're already legal for carry.

If you’re a responsible individual with a reputation for staying out of trouble, I’d say odds of you ever getting into trouble over your knives is very low. It also can depend on how cops interpret or decide to enforce the laws. There are some who choose to enforce things to the letter of the law while others enforce things within the spirit of the law. YMMV. Just my two cents.

FTR, I’m not saying go out and flaunt the law or assume that just because one cop may turn a blind eye means another will, I’m just saying when it comes to knife laws, things aren’t always cut-and-dried (pun intended).

FTR, I’m not saying go out and flaunt the law or assume that just because one cop may turn a blind eye means another will, I’m just saying when it comes to knife laws, things aren’t always cut-and-dried (pun intended).
That's the rule with any law. There are no black and white rules but rather shades of grey. That's why one person can be stopped for speeding an get a warning and another in the same spot will be ticketed. Or why courts will hand down different sentences for the same offense.

I wonder if the guy in the Minnesota case would have beat the charge if he had a collection of brass knuckles inside a display case mounted on his wall instead of just a single set of knuckles hanging up where he had easy access to them. In Pennsylvania, the curio option with regards to auto knives and knuckles is usually followed using this criteria: If you’re an established collector of cutlery with several autos kept in a secure place in your home and among them is several rare and high end valuable ones, you’re okay in the eyes of the law. If you’re a trouble maker with a rap sheet who only has one knife for EDC and that knife is a cheap Chinese coil spring fired auto, you’re more likely to get stuck with the charge should you get busted for something like loitering, drug possession, drunk driving, public intoxication, etc.

Back