£32,000 bottle of whisky drunk in 1 night

A hotel guest has bought a bottle of whisky for £32,000 and drunk it in one night.

The anonymous regular at the Pennyhill Park Hotel in Bagshot, Surrey, was joined by a group of friends who helped him put away the world's most expensive single malt in the oak-panelled surroundings of the establishment's Ascot bar.

The bottle, a Dalmore 62-year-old malt, was produced by the tiny Scottish distillery at Alness, Ross-shire, 20 miles north of Inverness, three years ago.

The distillery combined casks of malt from 1868, 1878, 1926 and 1939 to make the single malt, making the youngest of the ingredients 62 years old when bottled.

The bottle, drunk late one evening in Surrey last month, is believed to be the only one of 12 to have been opened. One remains at the distillery and the others were sold to private collectors.

The hotel bought the bottle little expecting it to be drunk. David Broadhead, the general manager, would not reveal the identity of the middle-aged buyer, thought to be from Berkshire, but described him as a "regular hotel guest and a private collector of fine spirits".

He added: "He's got the bottle and he's got the presentation case, so at least it's on his shelf as a memento."

Denis Barthe, who looks after the hotel's VIP guests and was offered a taste by the customer, said it was "exquisite" and added that the customer "has the philosophy that there's no point in buying these fine whiskies and never drinking them".

A bottle of the Dalmore 62 sold at auction in Glasgow for £25,877.50 in December 2002, just after it was bottled, beating the previous record of £20,000 for a single malt.

The hotel bought its bottle from dealers for around £31,000, making the across-the-bar price a world record.

It was finished in an Oloroso Matusalem Sherry butt from Gonzalez Byass, Spain, and bottled at natural cask strength of 40.5 per cent volume.

Each of the 12 bottles is named after different characters and events in the distillery's history. The one that was drunk was called the "Matheson", after Alexander Matheson, who founded the distillery on the shore of the Cromarty Firth in 1839.

The distillery's master blender, Richard Paterson, said he was pleased the bottle had been "opened, shared and enjoyed".

His tasting notes describe the whisky as refined and elegant and add: "The true beauty of this unique single malt is unsurpassed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...sky16.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/06/16/ixhome.html

maximus otter

"It must therefore be given total respect and sufficient time to fully open and reveal its many mysteries. The palate must be prepared - the time must be right. This indeed will be a memorable occasion."

Drew Sinclair, 62, the manager of the Dalmore distillery, said yesterday: "It is absolutely fantastic. I have worked at Dalmore for 40 years, so I have looked after this whisky for more than half its life.

"You want to savour it, so it's no use getting drunk and forgetting what it tastes like."

I've only got two things to say here.

1. I am deeply respectful of anybody that can buy and consume $58K (USD equiv.) of fine whiskey in a single sitting.

2. I wish I were one of his close drinking buddies ... :D

Denis Barthe, who looks after the hotel's VIP guests and was offered a taste by the customer, said it was "exquisite" and added that the customer "has the philosophy that there's no point in buying these fine whiskies and never drinking them".

I agree with that philosophy, as far as it goes. However, if I were really going to splurge on an evening with friends, I'd probably enjoy a $1000 bottle even more than a $50,000 bottle, knowing that I had $49,000 left over to spend on other cool stuff! :D

johnniet said:
I agree with that philosophy, as far as it goes. However, if I were really going to splurge on an evening with friends, I'd probably enjoy a $1000 bottle even more than a $50,000 bottle, knowing that I had $49,000 left over to spend on other cool stuff! :D

Like 49 other bottles of whisky ? ;)

Richard Paterson's Tasting Notes for The Dalmore 62 Years Old

Colour:

Intense deep mahogany; dark yet warm and inviting.

Nose:

Refined and elegant. A full spectrum of exquisite nuances extol their virtues in every direction. The true beauty of this unique single malt is unsurpassed. The hand of time has made its own inimitable mark, each racking has tempered and tamed this outstanding single Highland malt.

Warm, rich honey notes drift lovingly in the background but the "top note" of tangy orange chocolate takes centre stage before fleshy, soft fruits and heather complete this palette of aromas.

Taste:

Sensational and unique. The different woods from American White Oak to the specially selected Matusalem from the Bodegas of Gonzalez Byass in Jerez de la Frontera have all made their distinctive contribution. At first the weight of the spirit and the strong influence of wood attack the palate, but within a short space of time the warmth of the tongue arouses and stimulates the spirit - releasing an abundance of complex distinguished flavours which tantalise and tease the mouth.

It has taken years to create this masterpiece; it must therefore be given total respect and sufficient time to fully open and reveal its many mysteries. The palate must be prepared - the time must be right! This indeed will be a memorable occasion, never to be forgotten. I would strongly suggest after taking some warm Colombian coffee with preferably some cream or milk, this noble spirit is allowed to drift over the tongue and held for sufficient time for these irresistible flavours to be released.

In view of its age, it will pass over like pure silk before the flavours of orange, chocolate, marzipan, almonds and soft spices are released. To accentuate these outstanding attributes, a bitter chocolate such as Cote d'Or or Godiva should then be allowed to melt in the mouth. The combination of coffee, The Dalmore and the bitter chocolate will ensure the experience is unforgettable.

This truly is a masterpiece forged from the Highlands of Scotland - a reflection of the heritage, skill and the many generations of dedicated people who have worked at The Dalmore.

Richard Paterson
Master Blender

http://www.thedalmore.com/auction/intro2.htm

maximus "Jealous" otter

I've never understood the whole facination with spending big bucks on something like that. I have three partners who are kind of wine snobs but I don't think they can really tell the difference between a good $20 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine. In fact, one of them had a blind wine tasting and was surprised (and I think embarrased) when the consensus favorite was a $12 bottle instead of the $$80-100 bottles that they also had.

My friend and his wife and another couple spent $1,000 on one dinner a few months ago. I was sick when I heard that.

johnniet said:
.....knowing that I had $49,000 left over to spend on other cool stuff! :D

I have one or two friends who inhabit the rarified atmosphere of $1000 bottles of wine and $50k wristwatches and that kind of rationale doesn't apply in their lifestyle. When a crowd gathers around his $250,000 sports car, the most common comment is: "That's nuts, you could buy a house for that!" Well, this guy already owns a $9-million house so to him it's just a nice sports car.

But as someone else said, I also would like to become one of the drinking buddies of the guy who bought that bottle. I'll even buy the pretzels. :D

As for drinking this bottle, well it's a good thing. Once scotch is bottled, it will improve with age in the bottle for about the first year or maybe two just as the scotch settles down from the bottling. But, after that, it's not going to get any better. You might as well drink up.

Back