“Best” edc for apples

@CAD (hope this works and you find it)

This started off in another subforum.
Discussion was about “best thin apple slicing/peeling” knife for edc.

For a host of reasons (incl. materials, ergonomics, size and price point(!)), for me that would have to be my (slightly modded) Chaparral. Even when I have had another knife with me, for the past two years this one has always been in my pocket and gets used daily (including breaking down HD cardboard boxes after a move).

If/when I find more time, I’ll have to summarize just why I like this model so much.

Reactions: CAD
Spydiechef. FFG so it won't split off apple slices. Thin behind the edge, good for peeling. Ergos are perfect for peeling an apple. Corrosion resistant.

Mercator k55k with brass handle and stainless blade config.

28628500462_fd91eb0035_h.jpg

These MAM knives are my choice for apple slaying. The Stretch works pretty good too.

For apples I like the Chapparal, Urban LW, Caly3, or the Delica. All have good slicing blades. The Chaparral and Urban LW are a tad short in the cutting edge, but not enough to bother about.

Military. I eat an apple with one every day. :)

If we look outside Spyderco then the Opinels are probably some of the best apple peelers.

In terms of a modern folder the Boker Exskelibur I has the best slicing blade I have ever seen.

Spyderco blades? How about a Nilakka before they put the micro bevel on em.

I use the Spyderco Teeth, a little hard to middle finger flick, but does the job.

Perfect thread for my signature :)...I don't know about best, but I use the Manix for apples quite often. But then again, I find the Manix to be one of the all around best knives for just about anything.

It’s nice to see that so many are getting a healthy dose of fruit in their diets and that this generated some interest :)

Maybe I should have called this thread ““Best” edc for apples in an office environment” ...

No doubt there are many fine blades that fit the purpose, but for me the pm2 and military are too big and the dragonfly is a little short. Add to that that the FFG Chaparral is the thinnest of the lot AFAIK at either only 1.9 or 2mm at the spine (depending on the version), tapers down to an extremely thin edge and has an extremely small and thin profile in the pocket and you have my winner (in an office environment). The CTS-XHP also gets very sharp and holds its edge quite well.

I have to agree on the Chaparral, it was one of the first few Spydies I bought and has been a mainstay in the urban/office edc rotation since. The thin blade stock and ffg with distal taper make it a fantastic slicer. Mine has been reground to close to zero.

Old pic next to a stock Native lw:

e1c41y.jpg

The best EDC for apples is peanut butter.....

But if I have to cut the apple first, I like the Spyderco Large Lum. Not only is it a fantastic slicer, the wide blade spreads peanut butter like a champ.

Back