“Better than the Custom” knives

This is a simple topic. I’m curious to hear which production knives you all consider to be equal to, or better than, the customs or mid-techs they’re based on.

This type of discussion is often subjective, so disagreement is OK. The goal here is fun discussion.

So, knife nuts, which production knives do you prefer over their more expensive counterparts, and why?

If "better" includes "more affordable " then I got a bunch ! If price were no object , how can you beat a knife made just to your own personal design , specifications and biometrics ? That's what a "custom" means to me .

The only knives that I own both production and midetch versions of are some G&G Hawks. And the productions are not even close.
I agree. They have unique design and their customer service is top notch. I bought an Orbit from secondary market and the action is not very smooth. I reached out to Hawk via Instagram DM and Hawk himself pretty much told me to send it in for him to inspect. He wants his knife to be perfect.

The only knives that I own both production and midetch versions of are some G&G Hawks. And the productions are not even close.
Could not agree more. This is my experience as well. They treat their mid techs in pretty much the same fashion as their full blown customs. Customer service has been great for me.

If "better" includes "more affordable " then I got a bunch ! If price were no object , how can you beat a knife made just to your own personal design , specifications and biometrics ? That's what a "custom" means to me .

No midtechs, either?

On occasion, I hear reviewers comment that some knives are better executed by production companies than the customs are. An example is the Kizer Gemini.

“Better” is obviously subjective in many contexts. If we were specifically talking about objective performance, the conversation looks very different. As we’re being subjective, we have to acknowledge matters of individual taste. An individual may be turned off by the gaudiness of a designer’s customs or midtechs, while loving the design changes for production models. They may prefer a blade steel present in a production version that misses a designer’s midtechs or custom offerings. They may prefer a washer or bearing change. Somebody out there may feel that the best Rexford is the 0801 in S110V, based on a preference for that blade steel and muted handle design.

I’m interested in hearing the what and why of these things.

Zt 0562cf better than hinderer

Trevor Burger customs way better than the junk bokers based on them.

Kizer sheepdog knives are far better than the customs which are fairly bad.

Crkt crossbones is bad in comparison to the midtech or custom.

Last edited:
Really can't think of any. There are a few productions such as the Strider SnG that I prefer to the custom, but not better quality.
The Sebenza isn't based on a custom(actually it is, but H's are few and a long time ago+ I have never owned one), but I do find it equal to my customs

I dont claim one to be 'better' than the other.

Contemporary production knives are 'as good' as custom knives and not least vice versa in terms of cutting ability.
A high quality production knife wont outlast or be more sturdy than a custom and vice versa.
We could get by with a combined expenditure of less than a $100, if we were willing to settle for the efficient albeit not very sexy Terävä Puukko 110 and the Terävä Skrama.
Most are not willing to.
We like our fancy knives, there is the nebulous factor of pride of ownership and other factors in play.
As a result, we blessed with great custom makers, quality production knives ... and all the rest.
I like both custom and production knives and own both.

If a condition for participating in the demands, that I mention a knife, I hold Carothers Performance Knives in high regard.

Last edited:
I seem to remember Peter Rassenti professing that Spyderco's version of the Nirvana was "better-made" than his customs, but I may be incorrect.

was going to say that'd be a tough one to top, but i don't know, and with no first hand experience i'd bet on peter's model, owners may have a different opinion.

gemini is a nice knife, and some of the early jasmines are a little bland, but ray's stuff is and feels very custom/handmade/good. kizer's laconicos in general are very cool though.

i don't know, none are coming to mind for me. 0392 is probably another as good as any. kind of holding out hope for the spyderco smock, even though it'll be cheaply priced. we shall seeeeeeeeee

This is a simple topic. I’m curious to hear which production knives you all consider to be equal to, or better than, the customs or mid-techs they’re based on.

This type of discussion is often subjective, so disagreement is OK. The goal here is fun discussion.

So, knife nuts, which production knives do you prefer over their more expensive counterparts, and why?

Long out of production, the Microtech LCC. I don't "prefer" it necessarily. It was just a really well made piece with fit and finish that is the equal to some customs.

With few exceptions, one of the intangibles of having a custom is in having something that the maker himself worked on. So if given the choice, I would usually prefer to own the custom version of a knife if it's available over a production version, especially if it's a knife design I love.

When I read the first post I was about to reply but I saw that NJBillK NJBillK had already covered my intended response:

IMO, 100% this. I handled a "full dress" Emerson custom that had pretty obvious fit and finish issues.

But that's just part of their charm. It adds character to the knife.

/s

I vote for Rockstead!
The knives are gorgeous in terms of mirror finish blade, blade material(especially in YXR7 DLC model), and blade grind.
Some argued that the handle material is not that superb, however, their blade is second to none.

Back