“Clicking” 110 Lock?

Guys I just bought a NOS (New Old Stock) 2015 Buck 110 Hunter from the eBay and it’s a peach. Nice wood grain look and brand new. Blade locks up like a bank vault and is sharp and just really great. But compared to my brand new 2019 Buck 110, when I go to press the back lock lever to fold the blade, the lever “clicks” if you will. This doesn’t happen with my new 110 at all.

So guys, is it normal for the lever to click when closing the knife blade on a 110? I’m probably being stupid and freaking out for nothing, but when it comes to my blades (and guns) I’m a perfectionist to say the least.

Thoughts?? :confused:

Mine from about 1982, very lightly used but carried a bunch does not click when releasing the lock to close the knife.
It has side to side blade play and a little up and down.

There may be some dried grease or crud on the lock or maybe the spring is not pivoting smoothly (some sticky crud in there).
Have you oiled it ? I like super thin Starrett instrument oil or you could try some WD-40 to dissolve the stiction.

PS: I know the knife is brand new old stock but just sitting around things dry / corrode.

Another thought : maybe there is a bur on the release bar look for a ding on the knife around the spine of the handle or inside the slot.

Last edited:
It should work itself through that clicking stage. Sometimes when new the tolerances are close.
I've had that happen before with 110's and 112's, both manuals and autos, it always cleared up.

I have a lockback or two that used to do this, but I don't remember which knives.
They weren't Bucks, but it went away regardless.

Last edited:
Awesome friends, thank you! It does seem the clicking is lessening some. Just a bit alarming and I didn’t know if the lock had something wrong or was about to fail or something. I’ll let you all know if it goes away completely. Right now my thumb is sore from doing the lock so many times! :oops:

UPDATE:

After a lot of working the action of my new Buck companion, the clicking has mostly gone away!! I’m guessing it will work itself smooth in time. My heart soars like a hawk!! Or maybe that’s the corn whiskey?? :p

676-F5-B18-FA7-E-4-FF9-B5-F1-91-A3-F87-C91-A0.jpg

Thanks so much, all! This 2015 110 I just bought NIB on eBay is set to be my “forever knife”, I love it that much!! :D

very unusal for that to happen on a 110. Let me know if you decide you want it fixed..

Hello! There is still clicking and some stiffness present though I’ve worked the action several hundred times and I’ve cleaned and oiled the pivot area and lock area a few times. If it doesn’t clear up in a while I will definitely take you up on that if you wouldn’t mind. I love this knife so much, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Hello! There is still clicking and some stiffness present though I’ve worked the action several hundred times and I’ve cleaned and oiled the pivot area and lock area a few times. If it doesn’t clear up in a while I will definitely take you up on that if you wouldn’t mind. I love this knife so much, thank you for taking the time to help me!
No problem.. It is what we do.. Just let me know..

Guys I just bought a NOS (New Old Stock) 2015 Buck 110 Hunter from the eBay and it’s a peach. Nice wood grain look and brand new. Blade locks up like a bank vault and is sharp and just really great. But compared to my brand new 2019 Buck 110, when I go to press the back lock lever to fold the blade, the lever “clicks” if you will. This doesn’t happen with my new 110 at all.

So guys, is it normal for the lever to click when closing the knife blade on a 110? I’m probably being stupid and freaking out for nothing, but when it comes to my blades (and guns) I’m a perfectionist to say the least.

Thoughts?? :confused:
The clicking can be the lockbar sticking within the frame for a VERY brief moment as you unlock the blade. In this case the steel lockbar is much harder than the brass liner so it's only a matter of time before the action smoothes up. It can also be the lockbar sticking in the notch of the blade tang. In this latter case, because it's steel on steel, it won't smooth up as quickly. In both cases, though, the clicking will not compromise the safe and secure function of the knife. I have a 112 that did this for a while but it's now my smoothest Buck. My 110 LT does this, too, but I haven't used it nearly enough to smooth it out yet.

Use that 110 like you stole it and it'll be walking and talking like a cattle auctioneer in no time.

Zieg

Last edited:
Back