“Grail EDC”

I bought a Knife Art Sebenza Insingo a couple of years ago and I've pretty much carried it every day since. To my wife it's my pocket knife, to my kid it's my pocket knife, to most anyone else it's just not important. That's about as grail as it gets, when it get back from CRK after some engraving it'll go back in my pocket I think that it's not a thing makes it any knife a grail.

I feel like a grail is something meant to be kept in the safe and only taken out to fondle and oogle over. I carry my perfect “to me” knives everyday, a Sebenza or a Hinderer.

In the watch world, a grail is often either one that you will never be albe to afford and hence lust after forever...

...or the one piece that you would sell all of your others for.

But to me.... a knife that could save my life is my grail...

Last edited:
To me grail knives need to be rare and limited and extremely difficult to obtain. Being a traditional guy and getting back into nicer knives a few years back, I drooled over the Great Eastern Cutlery 85s with the match striker pull and "bulbous" shape.
Well, right time and place and I landed one in 2018 , and I feel I landed one with particularly beautiful polished stag. The entire run sold out in seconds, and I got 1 of 81 total in stag, so it met the "rare and difficult to obtain" aspect of a grail knife.
And I put it in my pocket the first of the year with the intention of carrying it everyday. Came to find out the shape, though unique, did not meet my expectations for EDC.
I still call it my grail knife, and haven't found another grail to "surpass" it yet, even if i only carry it a few times a month.
full

Funny thing is I can't even carry my grail, it's too pretty. Though I have carried it for about a month.
0xAXZH0.jpg

My true edc grail would be the 2nd from the right.
bufJFpV.jpg

When I think Grail knife, its not the perfect knife, its just the knife I really want but can't afford or hard to find. I do not know of a perfect knife out there but if it exists, I would still use other knives as well since I get bored easy

In the watch world, a grail is often either one that you will never be able to afford and hence lust after forever...

...or the one piece that you would sell all of your others for.

When I think Grail knife, its not the perfect knife, its just the knife I really want but can't afford or hard to find
I agree with both of those concepts.

With knives I am at the point where I have the two models I have wanted more than any others, and while I still want some other knives, there is nothing I want that would make me get rid of the ones I'm talking about.

Watches though, ugh, wish I'd never gotten bit by that bug.

I don't see any reason why a person's Grail knife is not the one they use on a daily basis, not some piece of unaffordable art work or a very expensive knifge made by a famous knife maker like Bob Loveless.

Last edited:
My grail,is/was CRK a sebenza fell for it first time I saw a review by Sgt kym in Blade Magazine in the 80's.But with forced disability retirement it'd outta reach as most are these days.But it's nice to be on the quest for the next great knife,it's part of the fun of it all. P.'s I really do enjoy seeing everybody's sebenza and mnandis

do you all ever hate it when you just randomly browse... and find something you never knew existed, and went... wow ??

this copper and cf handled olamic just caused my jaw to drop onto my keyb
olamic-cutlery-wayferer-compact-marbled-cf-copper-acid-sw-BHQ-37835-er.jpg

My most carried and used are a large (4 inch plus closed) stockman and a Buck 110.

I wouldn't say they are, or ever were a "grail" knife though.
I can't afford grails.

I have no interest in lusting after the unobtainable. There is no knife I would put myself into financial deprivation in order to obtain. There is no knife so desirable yet scarce that I would pursue it for years.

I like to buy knives that I can afford. I buy knives I can learn something from, or that satisfy my curiosity in some way. I may spend some time and effort to track down a particular knife, but once I have learned what it can tell me, it will sit for the most part, until I have a reason to pick it up.

Some of the knives I will carry for a while, but I am not looking for the perfect EDC. I carry three knives that taken together cost about 40 bucks. There is some duplication of function; I could easily get by with any one of them. Every so often a different knife will work its way into my pocket, either because it is new, or because I haven’t carried it for a while. After a few days, never more than a week, the regulars will be back in my pocket.

I am wondering if, in the history of BladeForums, anyone has found the "Grail" and subsequently sold off all other knives. And if so, how long did that person last before they needed to buy another knife? All joking aside, I just like owning a few knives, much like a carpenter might have several saws or hammers. To drink of the Knife Grail is to doom one's self to continually seek it.

I have no interest in lusting after the unobtainable. There is no knife I would put myself into financial deprivation in order to obtain. There is no knife so desirable yet scarce that I would pursue it for years.

I like to buy knives that I can afford. I buy knives I can learn something from, or that satisfy my curiosity in some way. I may spend some time and effort to track down a particular knife, but once I have learned what it can tell me, it will sit for the most part, until I have a reason to pick it up.

Some of the knives I will carry for a while, but I am not looking for the perfect EDC. I carry three knives that taken together cost about 40 bucks. There is some duplication of function; I could easily get by with any one of them. Every so often a different knife will work its way into my pocket, either because it is new, or because I haven’t carried it for a while. After a few days, never more than a week, the regulars will be back in my pocket.
Well said, Henry. :)

do you all ever hate it when you just randomly browse... and find something you never knew existed, and went... wow ??
Yeah I hate that, because then I end up spending a ton of money

I need to just STOP looking at knives for a bit sometimes. The lust consumes me and I break soon after

For example: only very recently, have I heard about chris Reeve knives. I bought an expensive benchmade 3 weeks ago, had a question, and made a forum account for bladeforums.
It didn't take long after surfing threads to discover I could've made a MUCH better purchase for an extra 100-150 bucks.

I've been avoiding those threads, and avoiding surfing shopping websites since then. Let me enjoy what I have for a bit before I drop half a paycheck on some crazy thing

Back