“Sheepsfoot” terminology pedantry time! (+ bonus term suggestion)

Hmmm. This is a knife I made and sold as a "sheepsfoot" utility edc. Should I have called it a modified sheepsfoot? It was intentionally designed with an ever-so-slight rise towards the tip. What do you guys think?

3cDhEsZ.jpg

If sheep walked on concrete the edges of their hooves would likely wear a bit faster giving them a similar contour... so it's clearly an urban sheepsfoot.

Hmmm. This is a knife I made and sold as a "sheepsfoot" utility edc. Should I have called it a modified sheepsfoot? It was intentionally designed with an ever-so-slight rise towards the tip. What do you guys think?

3cDhEsZ.jpg
Is this a wharncliffe?

One of these days I’ll encounter a genuine non-“modified” blade shape. As of yet I’ve never found one, but given the vast cornucopia of modified drop points, sheepsfoots, wharncliffes, and clip points, I assume somewhere out there some non-modified versions must exist.

Show me the non-modifieds!

Whatever. Throw the word 'lamb' in there somewhere for the ultimate pedantic snowflake meltdown. Lol

After reading this blog article (https://blog.knife-depot.com/history-of-the-wharncliffe-blade/), I think my design is probably closest to a lambsfoot, falling in between a true sheepsfoot and a true wharncliffe. Modified of course, since my design doesn't have a true straight edge profile. Regardless, I'll likely stop using any of these terms going forward and just use "utility" as that is what I intended the design to be used for.

AG Russell says

Sheepfoot Blade: Has a straight edge with the back of the blade falling in a strong curve to the point of the blade.

Wharncliffe Blade: A blade with a straight edge and an almost needle like point.

Good enough for me.

We pretty much already established that, now what do you call that benchmade, or the CRK Insingo that's what the thread is about.

Back