“Sprung” Titanium Lock Bar

Peakbagger46

Gold Member
I recently bought a used Hinderer XM-24 that the seller described as having lock rock. It doesn’t have lock rock but rather early and loose lockup due to lack of tension on the lock bar.

Is this something I should try and fix myself, or should I send it to Hinderer after the bat soup flu passes?

Out of curiosity, how does a lock bar loose tension like this?

Most people are going to tell you to send it in for a tweaking but It is really an easy fix that I have done on a few knives. You will have to disassemble the knife (No big deal) then take and bend the lock bar inward ever so slightly towards where the blade would be then reassemble. That should give you a later lock up and make it a bit more snappy on the deployment but may reduce the (Drop Shuttyness) that so many crave. I myself prefer a snappier deployment and a solid lock up over drop shuttyness any day but then again I use my knives. If that doesn't fix it then send it in but it will fix it if lack of tension is the problem. if you are leary about taking your blade apart you can do a search for a Nick Shabazz tear down video on the XM-24, I'm sure he has one. Good luck, stay safe, and have fun Peakbagger46.

Took it apart and found this. Looks like the stop pin is pultruding past the liner and making quite the impression on the G10 scale. Perhaps I will wait until the hantavirus hiding is done and send it to Hinderer to look at.

upload_2020-4-10_22-27-16.jpeg

Shite!^^^ I’ve never seen such a thing. Good luck brother. I’m sure Hinderer will make it right for you. I’ve never owned one but I have heard very good things.

I'm' no Rocket Surgeon but that sure looks like a problem to me Op. Do you think the pin slipped out of its pressed fit or was it simply too long. I would take the liner off completely and try to tap it in lightly with a center punch if it is infact a pressed fit. If the scale is used to hold the pin in place then that divot in the scale is your problem. If it were me I would level that crater out with a drop off 2 part epoxy but thats me and I hate to send knives in for repairs I can handle. Hinderer will surely take care of that screw up. Good luck and Nice Knife! regardless.

Back