•••& such holster•••?

When making a pancake holster, does it matter if the belt slots do not run parallel with each other?
I have viewed some holsters with non-parallel slots, some slots parallel, and some cut in a half moon shape.
Are there advantages to either way?

I prefer parallel myself, both as a user and a maker. I prefer a belt with some substance for pistol carrying and if the slots aren't parallel the belt can wad up behind the holster. I've seen the others ya mention. The multiple slots are for carrying at different angles. I could sure see where a decent belt would wad up using one of those. I do rake my slots forward about 15 degrees but that's about it. I'm not sure what the crescent slots are about. I could see them maybe allowing quicker break in of the holster to the curve of the body? But don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave!
My thought on those non-parallel(back slot canted back, front slot canted forward)was that you slide the holster on your belt through the back slot to get the holster where you want it. Then when the belt is run through the front slot it kinda locks the holster on the belt to keep it from sliding back and forth(but just a thought)

I always split the belt loop. Belt goes through rear slot on holster, then trhough belt loop, then through front slot on holster. Weight doesn't cause as much sag this way and it does not slide around.

Ya know I misread your first post I thought ya were talking about the ones that have one slot in the rear and two in the front at different angles. Thats what my response addressed. I missed it that you were talking about different cants on the front and rear slot. Those have always baffled me too. Unless your belt is very pliable single ply, or much thinner than the slots I'd think ya were gonna get a wad behind the holster.

Last edited:
I think you're right. I ended up making them parallel.
Thanks for the input

Back