0000 steel wool on working finish

I have a XM-18 in full stonewash and I want to replace the G10 scale with a textured titanium one. Ideally I want something between the stonewash silver and working finish. The stonewash one is just a little too shiny/blingy for my taste. I was thinking that I would get the working finish scaleand work the finish with some 0000 steel wool and super fine sandpaper in hopes to achieve a look somewhere between the 2 scales, maybe a little worn looking/patina, 2 tone look. I figure if I mess it up I can send it off and have it stonewashed and/or anodized.

Anyone ever done this? Do you think I could get some shine out of it using steel wool?

Stonewashed too blingy? Must be a nice stonewash. I always considered stonewashed the working finish as it hides scratches pretty well. Never worked with steel wool, but ultrafine grit wet/dry sand paper is the last step before I use polish on a blade for a mirror finish. With a light touch ultrafine.sandpaper is almost a mirror finish, so if stonewashed was too blingy, I dunno. But after that steel wool going to fine grit might just give a luster over the lines from the steel wool.

I didnt realize the handle was textured. Any fine grit paper over those nooks and crannies will create a high bling factor on any corners/edges. Might look pretty cool, but I dont think it's what you want. If you want to, just start with smooth paper and rough it up with progressively courser grits till you get the texture you want. If you start too coarse, you will have to completely work through all the grits to smooth a rough grit back out.

I went with the working finish, textured scale. I worked the scale using a leather strop with some valve lapping compound on and to back and forth to a couple other strops with no compound. I also used 00 and 0000 steel wool with the grain of the wool. I got it right where I wanted it. Looks half way between bead blasted and stonewash, not too shiny, not too dull. I worked the edges a little, looks like its been carried a while even though it's brand new. It turned out just like I hoped it would. Here's some pics.

20190208_124006_resized.jpg

20190208_124045.jpg

20190208_124510_resized.jpg

20190208_124559_resized.jpg

20190208_125300_resized.jpg

20190208_152124_resized.jpg

20190208_153744_resized.jpg

20190208_153912_resized.jpg

Back