0560/0561 being sold cheap?

Shoot. If I saw one new in box for 150 I would buy it and relist it for 189.99, immediately. Quick profit right there.

I would suspect that the mentality of resellers has more to do with it than anything. These have been extremely popular knives and a lot have been produced. ZT is a brand more suited to the knife community than an average buyer so a higher than average portion of owners probably members here or various similar forums. Within that subset there are plenty of people who just like to buy, experience (maybe not even use) and resell. Even if that number is around 1% (just picking a random low number- I honestly have no clue), since many were produced many would be for sale and with the sect of the population that bought them originally it would seem likely that many would show up for sale in our corners of the internet.

How many are up for sale at any given moment probably waxes and wanes depending any number of things- time of year, what new stuff is coming out, outside market forces. I don't think it has much to do with the knife itself or really the sellers. It just sort of happens.

I bought my 0561 from a forum dealer for a little over $200 new. And not much over either.

I got mine used for 198$ shipped way back, a few months after they were introduced. This was when the secondhand price on those was around $220-230+.

I think I remember them being around $260 when they came out. I got my 0561 this summer for $216 new plus tax. I don't know why the price dropped, but I am happy it did because they are great knives!

I think I remember them being around $260 when they came out. I got my 0561 this summer for $216 new plus tax. I don't know why the price dropped, but I am happy it did because they are great knives!

honestly I think there is a lower demand. Anytime a new product is introduced and it becomes desirable before its release there seems to be this mad dash to be the first to have one. And if you know its going to be popular you want in on it early because its going to sell out fast once in stock. Dealers know this. Some will sell at MAP to ensure they sell them quickly and turn over stock while others wait for them to do so so that they can sell them for list price and make a killing. But once that initial rush is over that is when the prices need to get competitive to ensure you sell them. In other words now that the 0560 has been out for awhile and there are other newer "must haves" like the 0801 dealers will need to find ways to move those older knives. You can apply this to nearly any tangible good. They make it, there is a surge of popularity and everyone scrambles to get one. The waters calm and the people who are still sitting on piles of products need to reduce prices to move units. Then the company either updates the existing product to increase demand or they release something completely different and start the cycle all over again.

I got mine for $225 right in the middle of the interest peak, so they've always been pretty reasonably priced. I can see getting another. If the 566 doesn't flip well unassisted I might sell it and get another 560. I also have a Southard, and those two knives are right together in terms of preference. I baby my Southard a little more.

honestly I think there is a lower demand. Anytime a new product is introduced and it becomes desirable before its release there seems to be this mad dash to be the first to have one. And if you know its going to be popular you want in on it early because its going to sell out fast once in stock. Dealers know this. Some will sell at MAP to ensure they sell them quickly and turn over stock while others wait for them to do so so that they can sell them for list price and make a killing. But once that initial rush is over that is when the prices need to get competitive to ensure you sell them. In other words now that the 0560 has been out for awhile and there are other newer "must haves" like the 0801 dealers will need to find ways to move those older knives. You can apply this to nearly any tangible good. They make it, there is a surge of popularity and everyone scrambles to get one. The waters calm and the people who are still sitting on piles of products need to reduce prices to move units. Then the company either updates the existing product to increase demand or they release something completely different and start the cycle all over again.

Yep, supply and demand is as good an explanation as any!:thumbup:

I've seen a few nib for 150. Saw a light user once for 100. I was 30 seconds too slow!

Back