1.2519 "Petty" slim slicer

SAM_1298_zps46b3357c.jpg

SAM_1296_zps3aece631.jpg

This fellow is identical to the AEB-L petty knife posted just moments ago. But this one has a tungsten alloyed carbon steel blade from O-7 steel. Also known as 1.2519/110WCrV5 and affectionately called "German Blue Steel" by myself because it is very close in Blue2 composition and comes from Germany. Mesquite handle, black liners. This one went to my father! And I have it's sister, identical knives, except mine has black/white liners. 1/16" stock, full flat grind, tapered. The blade flex......not too much, not too little, just right!!

Thank you for looking! Please comment on what you like/don't like about the knife.

These are gorgeous. I'm at an advantage to the rest off the shmucks that haven't bothered to participate in this thread, in that I'm aware that these were made with damn near no power tools. Just files, sandpaper, and elbow grease. Super clean work, my friend, and good clean finishes.

As far as criticism goes, consider some shaping of the handle scales at the ricasso, even if it's just a bit of gentle rounding, and perhaps softening the blockiness of the handles. We can talk about how to do that, sometime, if you want.

Great work, Stuart - keep at it!!!

WOW. Thanks for the compliment Matt!! Especially after I made fun of your China knife!!!! You are right, handle shaping. I need a LOT of help in that area. It's part of the process that I tend to blaze thru, not putting the time and effort that I should on the handles.

I'll take all the help and criticism I can get!!!

Good looking knife.
I'm with Matt as far as suggestions.
No criticisms.
Dozier
Accuracy beats speed

I have yet ANOTHER AEB-L slicer that is identical to the one shown. Except I used stabilized walnut from Chuck, and actually DID do some rounding of the handles. I'll get pics posted once the handle is polished up well. I've made quite a few of these petty knives for family/friends, and they all seem to luv em. I LOVE petty knives in the kitchen!!!

Back