#1-6 with some nice options + a couple of questions...

dsutton24

Gold Member
Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this...

It's a #1 with a forward curved brass guard, desert ironwood handle (?), and a single finger grip shaped handle. The blade is O1 tool steel. The sheath is stitched with white thread. A relic of the mid 90s, I think:

The questions:

The sheath has holes punched in it for the stone pocket, but it's obviously not there :) I don't see signs that a pocket was ever there. If it was, and it was removed, it was done very carefully. I'm told that sheaths were available this way from Randall, but haven't found a definitive answer to this. Any help?

The butt cap is flush on the end. It looks like it is attached with a barrel nut and then finished flat. The current catalogue doesn't show this as an option. Is this a common thing, or maybe something that was done in the past and discontinued?

Anyway, I think it's a heck of a nice knife.

dsutton24,
The Guard on your knife looks to be Nickle silver,not Brass.
Apart from that,the rest of your description is correct,even the date.

Your sheath has a Randall logo snap,which was first introduced in Jan 1 1995.
So your knife can be no earlier than then.
The "C" after the "6" on the back of the sheath indicates a forward curved hilt,which is correct.

As for the stone pocket,yours has simply been removed.
There would be no wear on the leather face under the pocket as the pocket was made from one piece of leather.
This design incorporates the top flap into the body so only side stitching is required to attach it.
A sheath without the stone pocket would not have the holes as yours does.
A "no-hone" sheath can be ordered from RMK.

The pommel is attached using an inverted acorn nut,then ground flat.
This is standard on most of the knives with non-compressible handles,eg wood,micarta etc.
Yours is correct.
Hope this helps.
Use it and enjoy it!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
IDK, I’m not seeing a pronounced upper finger choil. Is it possible it’s a model 5? What number is on the sheath?

The #5 swage comes all way back to guard and has thumb notches, this #1 stops at the finger choil. What a neat knife.

Last edited:
The Guard on your knife looks to be Nickle silver,not Brass.

My photography skills are awful, the guard is brass.

Thanks so much for your detailed answer, and thanks to everyone else who helped.

Guard is brass! My eyesight is awful!;)
I'm not a big fan of the single finger grip,but I really like the black stripes in the wood!
Reminds me of a Buck 110 I used to have years ago.
Looks to me there a few very small dings in the wood and pommel,correct?

I see a top choil,not a very deep one,but it is there.
The sheath would be marked with a 5 if is was a model 5.
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Back