1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

*** 1 Year CRK Challenge - Who's Still In! ***

1. Firefighterguy: December 1st, 2018 first try
2. Glock Guy: May 31st, 2019 - 3rd and Final Try!
3. Stumpy 72: 1/1/2019, first try.
4. Dilinger: May 15th, 2019 - First Try
5. Gastonian: 06/12/19 - First try
6. Gizler00: June 11th, 2019 - First Try
7. C3X: January 19, 2019 - First Try
8. Minirehak212: 08/15/2019 First try

Well I'm throwing my name in the mix. I have used my Inkosi every day since I got it and I feel like it could be "my knife" if that makes sense. I used buying it as motivation to go through school for what I really love. Spending less time worrying what knife to use will help keep my life as simple as it could be. My one special use knife will be the Spyderco Ladybug. It's small and won't draw any attention while I'm in class.
tpMvmcr.jpg

New*** 1 Year CRK Challenge - Who's Still In! ***

9. Texmac: 04/08/2019 First Try

Talus Talus "Is it too late to Join"

Cut and paste post #355 above, and add your name. That's what I did a few weeks back.
;)

Sounds good to me.

9. Texmac: 04/08/2019 First Try
10. Talus: 8/15/19 First Try

And the original instructions....

I am starting the 1YC with this knife: Small Sebenza Insingo Micarta starting now, August 15th, this is my 1st try.

About a year ago I wanted a very small pocket knife with easy one handed opening that could be used once in a while for cutting tape, a loose string, a piece of paper or posterboard. I looked at Serge's bean flipper and then saw his V2. I've always loved the wharncliffe / Insingo styled blades, having owned an Insingo back in 2012.

I couldn't afford the hefty pricetag for a real Serge knife, so I found a knockoff for about $25. I'm really not a fan of copying, especially the logo, but I wanted to give it a test run for a little before investing in a real one. Well, I carried this little example of plagiarism for a year every day, and used it, very often, far beyond the intended use. For a cheap knockoff, the knife cut everything I needed. At one point I was trimming 5mm thick plastic moulding pieces under the seat of my motorcycle. That little thing held up! But, at this point, the thing is falling apart. The scales are wobbly, the pivot is wobbly and no amount of tightening will rescue it. Time to retire it. And so, I recently re-entered the fold. Here's my small sebbie. I don't own many knives, so I "think" this will be easy. Let's see what happens!

The old and the new.

JOHZHf0.jpg

The new pocket beater.
cYP0D6a.jpg

Last edited:
One week in and getting a feel for the Sebenza again. I carry the knife in the pocket, so last night I took the clip off to see how it feels. Quite a difference for sure. For me it was much nicer without it. I'll run it like this for a bit. IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0072.jpg

Two weeks in and I'm still really enjoying this knife. I find myself taking it out of my pocket just to run my fingers over the scales. I'm not that much of a flicker/flipper/open & close kind of guy. I've cut myself a few times distractedly playing with blades. Even so, I really appreciate how solid the knife feels and how nice the chamfers, milling and pieces feel. I'm a bit nervous, as I just ordered a large Sebenza, I've only ever owned smalls, so I might end up carrying that to see how I get along with having a large. I might have ruined my chances at lasting a whole year! Oh well...sacrifices. Until then, I'm a one-knife kind of guy.

KrMx5kA.jpg

Just over two months in and I am starting to appreciate the small Inkosi as a great edc. I've used it in a variety of everyday tasks and it is as solid today as it was when I first received the knife. I think it might be time for a teardown and cleanup soon though. I might wait until the three month mark and get some pics of the process. Until then, know that I have enjoyed monitoring this thread and seeing everyone else's progress and updates. I wonder how many of us will be able to complete the challange?

Xit8vFS.jpg

Well another month is in the books for me with a small Inkosi, too!

I've gotten used to the fact that this is just *the* knife that I have, and it's in my front, Right pocket all the time. I love the fact that it's so light that it just disappears, and I don't really think about it until I need it. Finally the Hawk clip is AWESOME on this one as well, and I don't see myself changing back ever.

While this is my only knife for now, I did (in a moment of weakness) order something else, as I have wanted to try one for a while. I'll post pics when it gets here, and hopefully this new one won't weaken my resolve too much. Of course if it does, I'm just going to carry it AND the small Inkosi at the same time, as there is no way I'm striking out in my own thread. Not today Satan!

2 Months down, 10 to go!!!

8oST220.jpg

...... I wonder how many of us will be able to complete the challange?
My guess is very few. From what I’ve seen at BF, the great majority of BF posters have knife collections and they rotate their EDCs. This challenge is the exact opposite of that whole style. The number of us of that’d even try this challenge is small and the number of us that’ll complete it will be very small.

My guess is very few. From what I’ve seen at BF, the great majority of BF posters have knife collections and they rotate their EDCs. This challenge is the exact opposite of that whole style. The number of us of that’d even try this challenge is small and the number of us that’ll complete it will be very small.

And let us not forget that the guy who started this thread is already on his last strike!!!

Very good point. It’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out over the upcoming months.

Another month completed. Eight down and now only four more left to go.

Congrats. Almost there! Are you itching for a change?

I carried my last knife for a year, the first time I consistently carried any knife for a long period of time. Having a blade on me left the biggest impression, as I had a handy tool that disappeared in my pocket. I noticed on the few days here and there that I didn't have a knife with me that I needed a cutting tool and of course it was missed. Now I don't leave the house without one.

Last edited:
Congrats. Almost there! Are you itching for a change?
No. The urge to carry other knives has long since gone down to zero and I’ve become a lot more determined to finish out the year. In addition, my Star-Benza has been more than adequate for the limited use it gets from me and I find it to be a real comfortable carry with the MXG Deep Carry clip. I should be fine waiting until next year before I go back into rotating EDCs.

8429592F-54C9-4A4A-999A-DE10B136D584.jpeg A760FCA7-7192-47B7-81A7-F3839C32E19F.jpeg9 months down. I made a pact with myself that I wouldn’t baby this knife. I don’t use it as a screwdriver but I cut lots of stuff. I used it this past month to trim pvc pipe. I’ve set it down on concrete, metal, or whatever was close by. Chris Reeve made his knives to be used and I want to honor his work!

Well, I'm out. Probably won't stick to one knife for a while, as I'm beginning to rotate knives much more based upon need. Was fun to give it a try though. Best of luck to you all. Hey, I may be back someday.

My hospital plastic ID bracelet-cutting/removing Star-Benza got used to cut off three more of those damn bracelets in the last seven weeks. This is getting close to boring. I may use it to carve a “hand with upraised middle finger” woodcarving so I could put the carving on a window sill facing toward the hospital where I do all my ID bracelet cutting.

I hate hospitals. Just spent more time in one than I cared for with my grandma after she had a stroke a couple weeks back. On the bright side, she is out now and doing well, on the downside, she is now in an assisted living facility.

I don't know what you've got going on Stumpy, but I wish you the best.

Back