1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I got my large 21 back from CRK today. I am going to do this challenge starting today through the end of 2019.

Good luck.

I'm still kicking myself for selling my large 21 BEFORE I tried those others, but now I know that a small Seb is what fits my needs best.

I'm going to try to give myself until the end of the month to pick up the new one for the challenge and try to stick to it all of 2019 as well!

Good luck.

I'm still kicking myself for selling my large 21 BEFORE I tried those others, but now I know that a small Seb is what fits my needs best.

I'm going to try to give myself until the end of the month to pick up the new one for the challenge and try to stick to it all of 2019 as well!

It happens so easily. I'm telling you the weight reduction of the CF is killer.

Cut a bunch of cardboard and some zip ties today. The edge is officially shot. I tried to touch it up with a sharpmaker but it was beyond 40 degrees inclusive. Looks like I’m gonna break out the wicked edge on it.

What kind of edge should I put on it? I’m thinking 18 degrees per side.

Cut a bunch of cardboard and some zip ties today... What kind of edge should I put on it? I’m thinking 18 degrees per side.

I typically go 21 DPS on my Seb. If you sharpen it correctly, that should be plenty sharp AND durable, especially if you're going to be using it for some fairly hard use, which I would consider cardboard and zip ties.

I would also recommend more of a toothy edge for that kind of work. Basically taking the stones to about 400 or 600 grit, then hitting it with a 1 micron strop. That will be an awesome EDC edge that should serve you well for a while!

Cut a bunch of cardboard and some zip ties today. The edge is officially shot. I tried to touch it up with a sharpmaker but it was beyond 40 degrees inclusive. Looks like I’m gonna break out the wicked edge on it.

What kind of edge should I put on it? I’m thinking 18 degrees per side.

I do pretty much 18dps no micro. And just let it naturally convex a little from stropping and finishing by hand on a 1200 grit ceramic. For average all around use.

If you going to really beat on the edge and cut hard materials all the time then I'd say 20dps.

The more you sharpen it the thinner it gets behind the edge with the CRK hollow.

Glock Guy was spot on. It really depends on how you use your knife.

Last edited:
The search continues!

Well so much for the small seb. I had it in hand for about 5 minutes then remembered why I sold my others. Nice, but just too small.

I have one hope left - a Tanto Umnumzaan that should *hopefully* be here tomorrow. I always thought the Zaan had some of the best ergonomics of any CRK I had, and the Tanto blade on it is, hands down, the sexiest blade CRK makes.

We'll see what happens, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be getting back into my own challenge soon!

Good luck with the Tantozaan! It is my smoothest knife by far, an easy flicker and that nearly straight edge is oh-so-sharp. The blade has heft. I ended up ditching the clip... for me it was just a bit too close to the edge. Now this knife if soooo comfortable. I also love how it locks quietly with a single click... or thud.

But my EDC is my Small Inkosi Insingo, even smaller than the small Sebenza, specifically because it is so small but amazingly sturdy and solid. It has been exclusively in my pocket now for a number of months. The only thing that might displace it is if I get that email from the Grimsmo Brothers to buy the Rask, but not expecting that email until maybe this time next year.

Hope it all works out!

I got my large 21 back from CRK today. I am going to do this challenge starting today through the end of 2019.

I do carry a SAK cadet everyday as well but only for the tools and not the blade.

Another firefighter here been lurking this thread for a bit.
Have been carrying an Alox Cadet (for a few years) as utility helper to whatever large folder is in my back pocket. This varies amoung some 40-50 mostly large blades including several CRK.
I will jump into the challenge later in the week once a large Inkosi drop point micarta arrives and I decide between that, a DP 'zaan, or my large DP Micarta 21. Cadet will continue to assist.

I've carried this small Inkosi almost every day since April 22nd of last year, so about 19 months. The only time it wasn't in my pocket was during a canoeing trip down the Wisconsin River, where I was worried it might end up in the drink. For that trip I carried a cheap Svord Peasant Mini. Other than that 3 days it's been this knife. I've carried various slipjoints during this time as a secondary knife, but those have been used almost solely as fidget toys. If there's cutting to be done the Inkosi does it.

This hasn't been a challenge to me. It's been a privilege. That being said, I've loved reading about others trying to convert to single knife people. I'm rooting for each and every one of you. Great thread!!

FFwpDMpl.jpg

I quit. Sebenzas are nice and good. But I sold mine. Aside from being expensive and therefor man jewelry it serves me no better (actually less) than a SAK.
I wish you all the best of luck. My knife from here on out will be a SAK of some kind for sure.

I quit. Sebenzas are nice and good. But I sold mine. Aside from being expensive and therefor man jewelry it serves me no better (actually less) than a SAK.
I wish you all the best of luck. My knife from here on out will be a SAK of some kind for sure.

Lol.

IMG_20181218_193634-XL.jpg

Been carrying this for the last week. Works well but will decide on the long term unit once I get the Micarta Inkosi on Friday. Tempted to carry the 'zaan but fear it's aggressive look and (relatively) weak tip will be less than ideal for a year's demands.

Back