1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I quit. Sebenzas are nice and good. But I sold mine. Aside from being expensive and therefor man jewelry it serves me no better (actually less) than a SAK.
I wish you all the best of luck. My knife from here on out will be a SAK of some kind for sure.

But do you plan to carry the same SAK for a year? Could you?

I don't think this is about whether a knife is worthy or not, as much as it is our tendency to want something new. Most here could be given a Mayo, Terzuola, or Southard, but within a few months, they'd be carrying something else just to experience the honeymoon phase again. I get it, I'm no different.

Just own it. Let's not blame the knife (whatever knife it may be) for a change of heart.

I don't think this is about whether a knife is worthy or not, as much as it is our tendency to want something new. Most here could be given a Mayo, Terzuola, or Southard, but within a few months, they'd be carrying something else just to experience the honeymoon phase again. I get it, I'm no different. Just own it. Let's not blame the knife (whatever knife it may be) for a change of heart.

I think this is it, exactly. It's not that the knife fails us, but that we just get bored with it.

It's been said that, "Comparison is the enemy of joy." I know back when I had only one knife (a small micarta insingo), the knife just went in my pocket day after day, without a second thought. It was just "my knife."

After I started picking up more knives, then the rotation started. It's like I felt that since I owned these nice blades, I should carry them at least *some* time. After a while I just got used to the 1st world problem of picking a great knife out of a several.

This challenge was more about me just getting back to the simpler times. While I won't just have one knife, I won't have anywhere near the amount I had before, and that will make carrying a knife for one year possible for me...

Hopefully!

Well, she arrived and I'm smitten! This is the ONE!
IMG_20181221_175541802-X3.jpg

Just a quick update: It's a no on the Tanto Zaan. I've owned this knife 3 times now, and while I love the way it looks, it's just not for me for any type of an "All-around" EDC knife.

I have one last hope for 2018 - A Large Micarta Insingo 21 that I just picked up off the exchange. It should be here the day after Christmas.

I've owned that exact model before, too, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this time it will work out! I really liked the way it felt, and the Insingo blade is probably my favorite of the CRK blade shapes. In fact, the only reason I remember selling the last one was to fund something else. Hopefully I'm out of that stage, but we'll see.

C Cycletroll Congrats on a beauty of a blade! Wishing you all the best for the upcoming year!

I just can’t bring myself to use my edc on food. I’m not a germophobe but I just think of all the things I cut encounter too much stuff to ever consider using a pocket knife on food.

Sebenzas are perfect paired with a alox cadet. That’s my main edc setup.

Couldn't agree more. Most knives pair perfectly with an Alox Cadet, IMO. I generally have one, or a Leatherman Squirt PS4, with me at all times. Honestly, I could likely get by with an Alox Cadet by itself, but what's the fun in that?

Couldn't agree more. Most knives pair perfectly with an Alox Cadet, IMO. I generally have one, or a Leatherman Squirt PS4, with me at all times. Honestly, I could likely get by with an Alox Cadet by itself, but what's the fun in that?
Lol! I've had a PS4 Squirt and an Alox Cadet in my pocket for 3+ years. Part of the few elements of my EDC that never change! I rotate my big folder a lot (until this challenge). Good stuff!

... And we're back!

Even though it's sad that I had to take a mulligan in my own post, I think it probably worked out for the best with this new knife - a Large Micarta Insingo!

Here's the first pic after a quick cleaning, re-lubing and putting on a fresh edge and a new lanyard. All in all, I'd say I'm more than happy, and think this one will last a year.

I love the way these look with some wear, too, so I'm looking forward to getting that nice, "weathered" look after time.

Let the games begin!

Day 1:
BWCJkOE.jpg

IMG_20181230_182014~2.jpg
... And we're back!

Even though it's sad that I had to take a mulligan in my own post, I think it probably worked out for the best with this new knife - a Large Micarta Insingo!

Here's the first pic after a quick cleaning, re-lubing and putting on a fresh edge and a new lanyard. All in all, I'd say I'm more than happy, and think this one will last a year.

I love the way these look with some wear, too, so I'm looking forward to getting that nice, "weathered" look after time.

Let the games begin!

Day 1:
BWCJkOE.jpg

Have fun and good luck. I've moved my CF 21 on. It was a solid attempt. :)

EA681C07-20E1-48E4-BA27-8C8034C2A5A6.jpeg Finishing out 2018 strong and still carrying it. I’ve sharpened it for the second time. My only complaint so far with the Sebenza is what I have perceived as poor edge retention. But we will see if that changes as time goes on.

Attachments

• DBFFEBE4-8B65-425B-9CC5-64619B7CB5FC.jpeg
    DBFFEBE4-8B65-425B-9CC5-64619B7CB5FC.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 6
I’ve sharpened it for the second time. My only complaint so far with the Sebenza is what I have perceived as poor edge retention. But we will see if that changes as time goes on.

What year is your Seb? They changed the heat treat back in mid-2013, but I feel CRK's are still on the soft side if you actually use the knife for cutting anything harder than an envelope.

What year is your Seb? They changed the heat treat back in mid-2013, but I feel CRK's are still on the soft side if you actually use the knife for cutting anything harder than an envelope.

Lol. I used to think that. Although im switching to a new M390 RHK.

My -CF 21 that I just sold had a killer HT. Barely had to touch it up. That is the main reason I had trouble letting go.

It was 4/18 and was the best HT I've experienced in the past 10 years of CRK.

Then again. When it comes to hard use, who knows. No matter what they have amazing build, centering and lock up.

Back