1. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I’ve been carrying my 10/3 all week. It’s a great size for edc. Best part I found something to cut other than cardboard! 4CFF29C8-3DDB-4BA7-A6F9-44B008669D23.jpeg C3DEC51F-8B39-45C1-B7D8-CC59F27BC822.jpeg
    My son had a bucket full already so I caught one threw it in with his and said. “Wow! Look at all the fish we caught!”

bigsurbob, LMT66, oldmanwilly and 4 others like this.
  2. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Nice Randall and nice catch.

eveled likes this.
  3. AtomicRooster57

AtomicRooster57

May 15, 2019
    I smell hush puppies (shut-up dogs here in the south) Nice tool, congratulations.

Daren Morgan and eveled like this.
  4. elmbow

elmbow

Feb 17, 2003
    I want to know how you cook them? Out here in the west we call them green sunfish or bluegill. They are easy to catch and they get up to 8 or 9 inches in some of our reservoirs. I have always wondered if they are good eating...

AtomicRooster57 likes this.
  5. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Nobody in the north eats them either. I knew they were considered good eating down south. So I started watching you tube videos. Turns out they really are delicious.

scale them with a spoon.
    Cut heads off, including the pectoral fins, angle forward at the top. There is a big piece of meat on the forehead.

pull/scrape the guts out. Cut the two little pelvic fins off leave the dorsal tail and the anal fin.

Wash them. Pat them dry. Sprinkle with table Salt. Coat with flour. Fry in about an inch of oil, flip them over fry the other side.

Eating them is tricky. Until you find a system.

This is how I do it.

Pinch or cut off the tail, pull the dorsal fin off starting at the front. leave the lower fin.

Pull the back strap off starting from the hole from the dorsal. (Just like any other animal this is the best piece)

Then pull/ lift the side meat off the ribs.

Now pull the whole skeleton off including the anal fin. leaving the entire other side of the fish bone free.

My 10 year old eats fish a lot. He says these are the best tasting fish he has ever had. Including at any restaurant. I think I agree with him.

These were extremely small, even so. 18 of them fed us both. We were actually full.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    bigsurbob likes this.
  6. elmbow

elmbow

Feb 17, 2003
    There are only a few lakes out here that have perch and they are stunted so they don't get over 8 inches. We caught about 100 of them last summer and spent 4 hours filleting bit sized filets off the perch and they were so delicious. I think I am going to try these sunfish next as I heard that they are even better than perch. Usually all we catch are trout, beautiful fish but not the best eaters in my opinion. There are also large and small mouth bass but in my neck of the woods you better be ready for a fight if any of the serious "Bass fisherman" see you take one home to eat, even though the regulations say you can lol. I don't blame them though because they are a great sport fish and we don't have them in very many lakes out here.

In everyone's opinion what Randall makes the best fishing knife?

7. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    These fish get stunted by being overpopulated. Best thing to do is keep them. Brook trout are the same way.

Bass I’ve eaten twice. Once was great, but it was winter through the ice. The next one was horrible. It was late summer. I think the water temp makes the difference. Plus they are great sport, so it’s best to let them go.

Trout are ok to eat, but my grandmother loves them so she gets all of mine. She gives me pork chops and home made bread. She is 95 now, and still active. God bless her.

The 10/3 is a good bait knife I guess, but let’s be honest, there are better far cheaper choices. I do like it a lot as an edc. I’ve never tried the longer model 10’s.

Last edited: May 18, 2020