10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

like a few have said and repeated time and time again, a big knife can do the chores of a small knife, but a small knife can't do the chores of a big knife, so a big fixed blade can do anything from food prep, to bushcraft, to hunting, to fighting, farming, fishing, gardening, and so on and so on, only thing that may stop many folks from wearing one on their person is "civilization"

people of the city may say "oh he has a full sized knife on his belt, he must be violent, unhinged, aggressive etc"

i live in california so i get looks from all kinds of marshmallows when i tote the big steel

I find that the ones from civilization fall into two categories...the ones who see any knife as a weapon and are afraid of them, and others who get the biggest blade they can find for "survival" and they have not thought out their needs. Now, those who have have looked at their needs and practiced their skills, a big blade is an advantage.

Last edited:
I’ll set the tone by saying that I unexpectedly find myself developing a desire for a big ol’ fixed blade.

Beyond just being cool for what it is, I’m struggling to find a purpose for one in my life.

So, beyond chopping stuff to shreds in the woods (which is pretty cool), help me find a purpose for a knife in the 10-inch range.

Once beyond 6-7", I would much prefer an edged tool with thinner stock, like a machete. The reason being the blade will become so heavy that it is unwieldy, too heavy to carry and to use for long. And given the similar weight(~2 pound), I could have a lot of chopping power and efficiency with a small axe, and literally be able to fall a tree with it.

But having said that, that's absolutely nothing wrong with a 10" blade if that's what you fancy.:D

Get one and the need will arise to use it. If you wait until you can justify the need for one, you’ll never buy/own one.
Sometime you have to put the cart before the horse.

Every man needs a big knife. 10" isn't even that big, if you think about it...

And....if/when society collapses,you got a big,silent tool.

Most importantly,it's just nice to have a big,sharp piece of steel. :)

I have a similar problem. I own a big retreat and that how I justify buying them but they never see much use other than the joy of owning them. I bought a Winkler AF survival to beat the snot out of it but I'm struggling to wear it comfortably. Suggestions are appreciated.
I used to fence and bought lots of swords that were never handled except to clean them. At some point it's really a collecting hobby and we have to accept that unless you're minimalist who needs something for a specific role. Then the watermelon and pizza comments may sway your decision.

I find that the ones from civilization fall into two categories...the ones who see any knife as a weapon and are afraid of them, and others who get the biggest blade they can find for "survival" and they have not thought out their needs. Now, those who have have looked at their needs and practiced their skills, a big blade is an advantage.

true, no doubt a knife is a weapon, but your intention decides its purpose in most cases, ive always found it difficult to sit in a car with a big knife on the belt, sometimes you get lucky and are able to contour it to the center console, sometimes it hangs out the side of the seat, other times it just mashes into your ribs and against the seat (sedan issue mostly) --- all in all i prefer a fixed blade no longer than 10 inches overall ( 4 or 5 inches for the handle, blade for the rest) but too many times when the knife is big, its big, my recent purchase was a bark river sts 7.5, there's no way that's strapped to me when i go about town, just way too damn big, but you know, gotta have at least one really big knife, i live by the saying

better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, you cant possibly refute that logic

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe that explains why I like Corvettes too. :(

But actually you kinda bring up the point of my question.
When I do go into the woods, I usually go light.
Coolness aside, a folding backpacker’s saw is a lot more practical than an 18 oz knife. I don’t see my 50 year old Corvetteless legs carrying that big Busse into the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

<<<sigh>>>
With Corvettes, it's mostly 60+ year old's who have decided they have enough money for the rest of their life and want to splurge on something they always wanted but never needed.

Well, if you're totally rational, you just talked yourself out of the 10 inch or so knife/blade. I was going to get the Griffin X made for me and then I really thought about it.... the money and my use..... I already have 10"- 12" blades and it was pure want. So, I decided against having the maker build one. I just about never carry a blade over 6" into the woods unless it's a machete. The big knives to me are mostly scatchin' an itch and something you bring along when you car camp.

All that said, nothing wrong with scratchin' an itch with your hobby.

I like them. They remind me of simpler times and places, where cuttoes, artillery/engineering/pioneer sidearms, kukris, bolos, bill hooks and the like were carried by all. They are useful tools in the land that lies beyond the ziplock bag.

n2s

I'm going through an even worse stage. I already have an esee junglas and I'm trying to convince myself I dont need a tactical sword but I really want one!! :mad: I've been looking at rmj wyverns and the like. Any recommendations?​

but I'm struggling to wear it comfortably. Suggestions .
Edit : I was trying to post a picture from my phone ,it didn't work
Scrap piece of 1/4 in. Lexan from work mini SS clevises from a hobby store shoulder strap salvaged from something in the past. Inexpensive bandoleer rig using stock Becker sheath
CewRQdp.jpg

Last edited:
If you are into this hobby/lifestyle, and you want a big knife, there is no reason not to get one. Most of us have more knives than a couple octopi could hold. So really, many of us never are really buying out of need.

Big knives are just fun. If if we can't have fun with this why would we be doing it?

If you are into this hobby/lifestyle, and you want a big knife, there is no reason not to get one. Most of us have more knives than a couple octopi could hold. So really, many of us never are really buying out of need.

Big knives are just fun. If if we can't have fun with this why would we be doing it?
Isn't that the truth!

I actually do use my ESSE Junglas around my suburban property on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I have several trees in the front and back that need pruning annually. I also have a yard waste bin that fills pretty quickly from limbed branches if they are not chopped down to 2’ sections or less. Many of the sucker limbs are 1”-2.5” in diameter and 10’- 15’ long. I use a pruning saw to take the branches off the tree. I then use the Junglas to shed the leaves/twigs from the branch by running it down the sides of the branch. Pops those leaves/twigs off like a sharp knife pops hair:thumbsup:. I chop that 10’-15’ branch down to 1’-2’ sections - all with the Junglas. Saw, cut, chop, repeat - all day long. I personally have found that using that 10 inch knife breaking down those branches is much faster and easier than using pruning shears. I’ve discovered it to be the perfect tool for my purposes. Gets regular use through summer and fall.

So there you go...legit reason to own a 10” knife. But if you need a legit reason to own a type or style of knife you’re doing the hobby wrong.:p

hnhd11o.jpg

And one more nod to the Junglas and ESEE in general. That edge is STILL factory and it still is “hair popping“ sharp. It’s not been lightly used...they have some sort of voodoo heat treatment I guess.

Edit : I was trying to post a picture from my phone ,it didn't work
Scrap piece of 1/4 in. Lexan from work mini SS clevises from a hobby store shoulder strap salvaged from something in the past. Inexpensive bandoleer rig using stock Becker sheath
CewRQdp.jpg

Thank you. I'll give this a shot.

I'm going through an even worse stage. I already have an esee junglas and I'm trying to convince myself I dont need a tactical sword but I really want one!! :mad: I've been looking at rmj wyverns and the like. Any recommendations?​

Damn it. Now I want a Wyverns. Their Kukri is on my list as well.

Back