10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

Big knives are fun, that's enough for anyone.

On occasion I carry a Camillus/Fisk OVB Bowie. It carries like it's made of smoke. I carry it when there might be a chance I need a big knife.

I have yet to encounter a situation that couldn't have been handled by a smaller knife, but I don't care.

I like to enjoy and appreciate my stuff. Carrying this piece is a joy, which means the crafsmanship is appreciable.

Disclaimer though, I live in small town Pacific Northwest. It's not out of the ordinary here, which doesn't hurt.

Get the Junglee Short sword like I posted. It’s made in Seki and comes razor sharp with a needle point. Has a nice thin kydex sheath that fits any belt size. I have never used mine, I just wanted one.
I'm going through an even worse stage. I already have an esee junglas and I'm trying to convince myself I dont need a tactical sword but I really want one!! :mad: I've been looking at rmj wyverns and the like. Any recommendations?​

20200816-113811.jpg

I'm sitting in my office typing contracts today, and this is on my belt. Why? Because:) Also, there is a tangle of garbage weed trees growing up behind the warehouse that im going to do battle with in a bit.

Scale is off a bit, but this knife is about 12.5" over all sporting about 8" of blade.

Axes are for chopping, knives are for cutting. 10" knives outside the kitchen are like a 50 year old guy in a Corvette.

... and the problem with that is???

It’s 1” short of your criterion, but I really want a BK9.
The BK-9 cuts, chops, batons ... above it length. Like we Beckerheads say, "You can't not have a 9."

I’ll set the tone by saying that I unexpectedly find myself developing a desire for a big ol’ fixed blade.

Beyond just being cool for what it is, I’m struggling to find a purpose for one in my life.

So, beyond chopping stuff to shreds in the woods (which is pretty cool), help me find a purpose for a knife in the 10-inch range.
I've got one that's 11.5 inches in aebl at around .12 thick at the spine.

Ive used it for watermelon so far, but the possibilities are endless.

20200816-113811.jpg

I'm sitting in my office typing contracts today, and this is on my belt. Why? Because:) Also, there is a tangle of garbage weed trees growing up behind the warehouse that im going to do battle with in a bit.

Scale is off a bit, but this knife is about 12.5" over all sporting about 8" of blade.
What's on the handle?

I'm going through an even worse stage. I already have an esee junglas and I'm trying to convince myself I dont need a tactical sword but I really want one!! :mad: I've been looking at rmj wyverns and the like. Any recommendations?​
Look at Dawson, Busse, zombietools.

I'd recommend Dawson. They turn out a lot of stuff, usually have something in stock.

Zombietools has something called the zakasushi, it's japanese for ... well, you'll find out. :D

I’ve seen competition BBQs guys using big lamb and hog splitters. A lot of the knives in this thread would work for that.

Some of us like practicing knife fighting, it's a martial art. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. 11 or 12 inch tanto blades were the norm in Japan's feudal period. In the American frontier, 10-12 inch bowie knives were usual. New Orleans was once considered the capital of knife fighting in the USA.

I have a similar problem. I own a big retreat and that how I justify buying them but they never see much use other than the joy of owning them. I bought a Winkler AF survival to beat the snot out of it but I'm struggling to wear it comfortably. Suggestions are appreciated.
I used to fence and bought lots of swords that were never handled except to clean them. At some point it's really a collecting hobby and we have to accept that unless you're minimalist who needs something for a specific role. Then the watermelon and pizza comments may sway your decision.
The Winkler AF Survival knife looks sick! Please post pictures of use if possible!
I struggled for a while trying to comfortable carry my Busse WTF and SYKCO 1111 and this dangler attachment really helps.
A lot of times though, I just toss my WTF or 1111 in/ on a pack.
7486bc850aee83d52adba88c294fdeddbf7bf7ed.jpg

bdc738ab255efe59db92e67c5160a6a0cfc9bcdf.jpg

For me, a 10” blade falls into a dead spot on the spectrum of utility. A blade of 4 to 5 inches will more than suffice for smaller jobs. If you need to chop, a blade of 13 or 14 inches is called for. Sure, you can chop with shorter blades, but there is a substantial leap in performance when you add 3 or 4 inches.

An exception is the Skrama, with only 9” of blade. However, the 8” handle allows you to generate the head speed of a longer knife. However, even as good as it is, a Skrama will not chop as well as a 13” golok or parang.

For slashing grasses and lighter vegetation, 14” of blade seems to be about the minimum. 18” is much more common, and light blades up to 30” are not unheard of.

Last edited:
The Winkler AF Survival knife looks sick! Please post pictures of use if possible!
I struggled for a while trying to comfortable carry my Busse WTF and SYKCO 1111 and this dangler attachment really helps.
A lot of times though, I just toss my WTF or 1111 in/ on a pack.
7486bc850aee83d52adba88c294fdeddbf7bf7ed.jpg

bdc738ab255efe59db92e67c5160a6a0cfc9bcdf.jpg

I will bro. Sadly it hasn't seen any use besides being taped up for kydex work. I'm gonna make a better sheath belt adapter for it so I can use it comfortably. My problem is my arms are to damn long. I'm 6 ft tall with 6'4" arms makes drawing a large knife from a sheath uncomfortable.

For me, a 10” blade falls into a dead spot on the spectrum of utility.
I wouldn't say dead, but in my opinion it is the minimum chopper length. Many are comfortable with as you say the Skama or a Becker BK-9. I can understand as a 9-10" blade is about the limit to carry comfortably in the woods on your belt any distance unless you have a specific task in mind. I agree that you need to look in the 10-14" area for a serious chopper.

D deadzonepatrol Practicing knife fighting is a sport but it is a fairly outdated kind of thing for combat.

I will bro. Sadly it hasn't seen any use besides being taped up for kydex work. I'm gonna make a better sheath belt adapter for it so I can use it comfortably. My problem is my arms are to damn long. I'm 6 ft tall with 6'4" arms makes drawing a large knife from a sheath uncomfortable.
Realistically, the sheath gets tossed to the side when I'm doing yard-work, left in the truck/ van at work, and strapped to a pack while camping.
The dangler is the most comfortable I've found, and I use it when I'm weed eating and light-trimming at the same time, but normally it's just too much to be hanging off my hip the way a large knife does.
I'm 5'7" with gorilla style arms myself and I don't find toting a blade that big on my hip comfortable either.

Basically if I'm moving around and using it a lot, I like having it on my hip, but If I'm gonna hike or drive for a little ways before using it again, in the pack it goes.

Back