10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

tenor.gif

I'm sure most people who put down large, high-quality outdoor knives don't carry their own tools into the wilderness. It's easy to bring all kinds of tools if someone or something (vehicle, horse, etc.) carries the weight for you. When people have to do this work themselves most quickly realize the value of a big knife, especially with a usable finger choil, that can do everything: from chopping wood to processing game to food prep, while minimizing weight and bulk as much as possible. I'd prefer an axe or hatchet over a large knife for chopping wood, but wouldn't want to carry the extra weight and bulk for long, and sure wouldn't want to use one to clean a fish or for other delicate camp chores.

Leather hat, crocodile leather sheath, and whenever someone shows you a knife, you can pull it out and smirk, say the line...folding saws are marvelous tools, I do use a Bahco Laplander to saw even sections around 3-4" thick that afterwards get stood on a stump to be batonned with a big knife, 10" give you plenty of whacking room and bigger batons can be used. I know it is not for everybody, but it does work better than swinging down with a hatchet, at least for me. What did you get?

I'm sure most people who put down large, high-quality outdoor knives don't carry their own tools into the wilderness. It's easy to bring all kinds of tools if someone or something (vehicle, horse, etc.) carries the weight for you. When people have to do this work themselves most quickly realize the value of a big knife, especially with a usable finger choil, that can do everything: from chopping wood to processing game to food prep, while minimizing weight and bulk as much as possible. I'd prefer an axe or hatchet over a large knife for chopping wood, but wouldn't want to carry the extra weight and bulk for long, and sure wouldn't want to use one to clean a fish or for other delicate camp chores.
I've done some longish 2 week-plus backpacking hikes through the wilderness where cutting excess weight was a serious priority and never myself needing anything besides my ESEE 4. For fire, I would just use deadfall or baton with 4 and I really didn't want for anything larger. That said, and shorter hikes when I don't worry about weight, I love a large blade just because it is fun.

I use this 10 inch frequently to de limb 1 inch to 2 inch thick branches that fall down. I stack the limbs by the curb, and cut the branch into four foot lengths, so the Sanitation Department will pick them up. That is about all this knife does as it is too heavy to carry all day, and too thick for much of anything else.

That is clear plastic grip on the handle, and clear spray paint on the blade. I got tired of trying to keep it "pretty".

yrsTbVC.jpg

This beats the cutting power of a similar weight knife by orders of magnitude. I purchased this from HB Forge around 1972, and this has been thrown thousands of times, and done a lot of chopping.

woxKdUM.jpg

Sure, you can get a good work out chopping with a big knife, but what's the point, other than getting tired?

Well done!

The hole in Spyderco's FB knives still cracks me up.

That handle is a thing of beauty... how's it feel?

That handle is a thing of beauty... how's it feel?

Spyderco’s polished G10 is amazingly beautiful—but it’ll be slippery for a field knife. The way the hilt presses into my palm is really nice. The palm swell is adequate, but a bit on the light side.

Someone with XL hands might find it lacking. I wear a L Mechanix and like the way it feels.

I’ve already cut myself twice, so it’s definitely a keeper.

I don’t know . They seem like a great idea, especially to my inner teenager. Then I get one and it pulls my pants down and I wish I had a small axe.

Back