10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BD_01, Aug 21, 2020.

1. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2012
    I've had one of these for years, absolutely love mine. I chopped the leg off a frozen deer that I had hanging from my Kubota once, deer leg bone is dense as hell too. Before anyone starts screaming, I don't care.

BD_01 likes this.
  2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    One of the best choppers, and certainly the best value in a chopper, to ever come out of the Busse compound. :cool: :thumbsup:

shinyedges likes this.
  3. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    If you said that about sword fighting I would probably grudgingly agree, but knife fighting?? Firearms and empty hand may take precedence, but knife use/defense is still a valid area of training imo.

Me too. Hiking (as opposed to backpacking) is where I end up carrying larger blades. My thinking is that since I don’t have a tent, there’s a chance I might need to build a shelter if I get injured/lost. Paired with a small saw (Silky F180), I can also process firewood efficiently in an emergency... Therefore it makes perfect sense to buy one dear - to protect you on our hikes!!

jstn likes this.
  4. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    A longer blade means more cutting edge. Even a "soft steel" blade will cut for way more time (and be way quicker to sharpen) than a short "super steel" blade. Know your job, know your needs.

MtnHawk1 and marchone like this.
  5. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    I'm not sure if the OP meant 10" overall, or a knife with a 10" blade.

For many years I carried a fixed-blade with a 5" blade (overall length about 10+") about everywhere I went. And my reasons for carrying it weren't just based on what I planned to use it for, they were also motivated by any unexpected uses that might present themselves. I mostly used it at various jobs over the years (shipping dock, construction), but once in a while some unexpected uses would arise. Here's on of my more interesting stories (I've told it here before years ago).

I was out on a ride in the middle of nowhere (motorcycle), and I stopped at a little gas station/convenience store. As I'm sitting in the parking lot I hear this horrible racket. A car is coming down the street, and the plastic cowling under the front fender had come unattached at one side and was dragging under the car.

The female driver pulled into the gas station parking lot, and was in a panic. She had hit a big rock n the road, which had broken the cowling loose, and she had no idea what to do about it. This wasn't the kind of gas station with a mechanic, so she was out of luck there.

There was no one else around to help her, so I offered my assistance. After inspecting the problem, I came to the conclusion that the best course of action was to remove the cowling, and the woman agreed. Easier said than done. Although it was plastic, it was tough plastic, and it was riveted to the car. I tried to pull it off, no go. So after asking the woman's permission, I pulled out my knife (Wilson Tactical model 25) and I proceeded to pry the cowling off, popping it loose one rivet at a time, requiring some significant effort. I don't think many small fb's, or folders, could have handled the task.

The mangled cowling removed, I tosses it in a dumpster. The woman thanked me and we went our separate ways.

In my current life, I no longer feel that openly carrying a fixed-blade is practical for me. But as far as the question "Why carry ...", well, as long as its legal, and as long as it fits in with your life and lifestyle, why not. You never know what unexpected uses will present themselves.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Based on what he bought, I'd say 10" blade.

7. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Yeah, 10-inch blade.

Hadn’t thought about it as an automotive repair tool though...:)

8. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    that's like what this kabar wrench knife is for ;)

[​IMG]

BD_01 likes this.
  9. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger

Jul 14, 2012
    1.) They are fun!
    2.) Bernard Mason suggests it