1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos 10 Minute Black Rit Dye of the Blue Gent

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by CitricAcidCycle, Feb 28, 2019.

1. CitricAcidCycle

CitricAcidCycle

Feb 28, 2019
    First attempt Rit dye. Got this knife in 2 days ago. Not the Blue I was hoping for.

I'm happy with the results. Love how it picked up the streaks looks almost faux wood.

Original (not my actual picture but gives a good indication of the starting color):
    [​IMG]

Dyed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DRLyman, 007Airman, b00n and 2 others like this.
  2. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    That sure is purrty! I've got the black G10 model. I don't like small folders, but dern if I don't love this one. I've got the carbon fiber on notice, but I do say...your dye job gets my creative juices flowing. Awesome work!

K.O.D. likes this.
  3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Looks good. I've done a fair bit of Rit Dye work and have been very satisfied.

4. CitricAcidCycle

CitricAcidCycle

Feb 28, 2019
    Both the Selects: CF and Wooden are beautiful. And thanks.

5. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys

Oct 30, 2018
    This is very cool. Does anyone have any info on how this is done? I'm always looking to add a new skill.

6. CitricAcidCycle

CitricAcidCycle

Feb 28, 2019
    It was pretty straight forward actually:
    - Small saucepan with 4 to 5 cups of water
    - Bring to a low boil
    - Add about 1/4 Cup of vinegar
    - Add 4oz. of desired Rit color (I used liquid)
    - Return to low boil
    - Suspend scales from a piece thin wire
    - Submerge...check at 5 to 10 minute intervals depending on the color you're trying to achieve. It was just lucky the Gents G-10 took on that streak pattern.

* Make sure to wear gloves and wash scales with soap and water or clean with alcohol before dying

*Clean again when complete and removed from dye pan.

DRLyman likes this.
  7. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Damn, that looks nice. Much better than the original. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

8. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys

Oct 30, 2018
    Thanks for the info, CitricAcidCycle. I will be sure to find a project to use it on.:)