• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

10 small 3V EDC Knives, micarta, G10

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The 3" EDC was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

The primary grinds on these are more narrow than the Field Knife. They are quite "slicey"

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

It's very light weight.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 1/8” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .135” thick at ricasso (a hair over 1/8")
Total length 7.5”
Blade length 3.2”
Weight 4.8 oz
Edge angle 18 DPS
.020" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives. If you want one of both sheaths, an extra sheath is $50.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can't remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. See video. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath. Since this is the last batch of these we don't have a lot of sheath inventory on hand so your sheath will be built to order. There will be a delay in shipping while we wait for your sheath.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are ten knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

12.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:

[video=youtube;zC_-PIFw-KA]

A video illustrating the sheath options:

[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$215 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$225 in black or OD green G10
$235 black/blue G10
$235 maroon Micarta.
Shipping in the USA is $10.

We're short on some colors, and we can never predict how many of one color or another will sell, so if there is a shortage it will be first-come first-serve.

Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal. An extra sheath is $50

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Jo will contact you via PM or email on Sunday or Monday. Emails though BF often get lost in spam filters. If you don't hear from her by Monday please contact Jo on her PM, or send us an email at carothersknives at g mail dought com

We're going to have a few 12" Behemoth Chopper prototypes on our forum in a couple weeks.

Due to limited quantities this time, please Limit one per post

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

I'll take one, but how the heck are there two #2 posts?!?!?!

Edit to add: Black buffed micarta, horizontal sheath.

Last edited:
I'll take one. Still deciding on scales and sheath...Will update! Unbuffed black micarta + horizontal sheath.

Last edited:
I'll take one, please and thank you!
C.

EtA: 2x #2,#5, #8, #12, #15, #17, #19 - we broke the internet :)

Last edited:
Passing my spot along.

Congrats to everyone.

If this is your first CPK, you're in for a treat.

Last edited:
I will take (1) please:

(1) D3V in Buffed OD Green & Black Micarta and Horizontal sheath

*if OD Green/Black is not available, Buffed Black Micarta will be okay*

EDITED - I can only get one, and that's completely fine. :)

Last edited:
In for an EDC with Vertical Sheath and unbuffed Maroon micarta if available for handles!!

Last edited:
I'll take one, please. Natural micarta. Vertical sheath. Thank you!

I'll take one

Oh man too slow, if anyone got one that was proxying for someone and that falls through please contact me!

Back