Review 10 years with my Huntsman

sonofwilfred

🇦🇺
Platinum Member
tuM8CsF.jpg

I realised today I've had my work knife for ten years now. It's the Huntsman model.
I fly alot to Ireland and I used some of my frequent flyer miles at the time to buy this knife from the airline's online shop in 2010.
I chose the Huntsman because it has the tools I use the most. Knife, scissors, saw and the openers.

Main Blade
The main blade is very useful and is the main tool that I use day to day. It is easy to sharpen and cuts everything I need to cut at work, without fuss. I regularly cut rubber hoses, zip ties, tape, drum seals and regular food prep.
fGxIE9j.jpg

When cutting hard plastics the blade does dull relatively quickly.
gHKBZo9.jpg

Playing with wood and normal cutting duties I find myself touching the blade up every other week.
The main blade over the past 10 years has reduced in size and has scratched up a fair bit
y8eRME5.jpg

On the left is a similar aged Spartan that sees some pocket time so it's not perfect.
sZiLJQK.jpg

I use a DC3 or a Lansky to regularly sharpen it. Not to "shaving" sharp because I don't shave with it. I like a toothy edge for work.

Small Blade
The small blade is neat. I have scoured my photos and I cant find many photos of me using it, not to say I don't use it but it's not used a great deal. I guess if I would have an ideal knife I might swap out the small blade for a cadet style nail file, but i don't live in a fantasy world and I'll make do with what I have.
sg0CDy7.jpg

The Saw
The saw has been super useful for me. I haven't had to sharpen it yet. I cut green wood mostly but I have cut plastic and some rubber with it too.
8WMsVGZ.jpg

It does clog up a bit but it's easy to clean. It has saved many a trip back to the shed to get a large saw.

The Scissors
The scissors are also very handy and when I have a knife without them I find myself missing them.
w311Rd4.jpg

My son loves cutting grass with them. My wife cuts with them all the time and I use them for cutting templates for welding jobs.
ut4uge6.jpg

After 10 years I find them getting a little dull, I haven't sharpened them at all in this time. A light touch with a fine stone will have them sharp again when it's time.

The Openers
Of all the tools these are my favourite, I can see why there on most Swiss Army Knives. The can opener is the easiest way for me to open a can. As a left hander, regular can openers don't work well for me. I've actually been banned from using my wife's can openers because I always damage them.
SbhCxAH.jpg

ZLZctTC.jpg

The screwdriver is quite often used and does a better then expected job with Phillips screwdriver screws.
El01sUO.jpg

I find it good for poking and prodding things
PZX3EJe.jpg

The bottle opener is great for the obvious as well as many scraping tasks and large flat screw driving jobs.
gU70hlD.jpg
q7QNtdq.jpg

The Back Tools
The awl, hook and corkscrew all have been helpful over the years and deserve there spot on this knife. Particularly the awl. I have poked many a hole in things with this handy tool.
zx85KeG.jpg

The corkscrew has helped out with many a task as well
j3Z3nYs.jpg

Scale tools and Scales
The toothpick has been used constantly for 10 years and has stayed in its place without fail. A couple of times I've had trouble getting it and the tweezers out but that was because of my poor cleaning at times.
The tweezers are quite handy and have stopped some pain after removing splinters many a time.
There is a spot for a straight pin but I find in dusty conditions it builds up with rubbish and the pin acts as a wedge to push the scales off, so I choose not to use it.
Now the scales have not been looked after in any way and they have lost there shine a long time ago but there still fully functional. I did glue them last time I took the scales off for cleaning. I think i may take off the scales for cleaning a bit more then the average guy and the remove replace action has taken the ability for the scales to grip the attachment points.
oHTDwbm.jpg

The Keyring
The key ring is very handy, I have a whistle on it at all times. I attach a lanyard here as well for easy removal from my pocket.

So to sum up this knife has been a great companion at work and play for me I am lost without it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I have three from different time periods and there all great knives.
o00nFUw.jpg
ovzoCeM.jpg

I am a huntsman and this Huntsman has been my most used knife, and I have a few different knives to choose from ;)

Most of the photos are posted here on blade forums elsewhere.

Below is a link to a job I did that needed 6mm canvas reinforced rubber to be cut into strips. It shows Sak steel is perfectly fine for cutting.

Dan.

Last edited:
Nice review Dan. The huntsman is a great model. It’s the model that got me addicted to SAKs:) I have always wondered why you had a whistle attached to your Huntsman, care to share? Thanks

Nice review Dan. The huntsman is a great model. It’s the model that got me addicted to SAKs:) I have always wondered why you had a whistle attached to your Huntsman, care to share? Thanks
Yes mate I have always had this whistle on my huntsman, I collect military whistles dating back to the 1880s and as a bit of fun my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought me that whistle. Very cheap alloy whistle that I have carried every day since.

Dan, good review on what the Swiss Army Knife, or any daily carry knife, should be...a tool to be used. I know some will argue that there are better tools out there for prying, scraping, sawing, and....well...screw driving:eek:. But when you can save a bit of time running back and forth to the machine shed, or it’s just quicker to use what you have, it’s hard to beat a good SAK. You’ve definitely gotten your money’s worth out of that one!!

Dan, good review on what the Swiss Army Knife, or any daily carry knife, should be...a tool to be used. I know some will argue that there are better tools out there for prying, scraping, sawing, and....well...screw driving:eek:. But when you can save a bit of time running back and forth to the machine shed, or it’s just quicker to use what you have, it’s hard to beat a good SAK. You’ve definitely gotten your money’s worth out of that one!!
100% agree mate. I thought my Huntsman needs a bit of recognition, it's not fancy its not rare it just does its job no fuss and you can't ask much more from a tool then that.
I'm sure it will still be fine for a 20 year review.
Dan.

tuM8CsF.jpg

I realised today I've had my work knife for ten years now. It's the Huntsman model.
I fly alot to Ireland and I used some of my frequent flyer miles at the time to buy this knife from the airline's online shop in 2010.
I chose the Huntsman because it has the tools I use the most. Knife, scissors, saw and the openers.

Main Blade
The main blade is very useful and is the main tool that I use day to day. It is easy to sharpen and cuts everything I need to cut at work, without fuss. I regularly cut rubber hoses, zip ties, tape, drum seals and regular food prep.
fGxIE9j.jpg

When cutting hard plastics the blade does dull relatively quickly.
gHKBZo9.jpg

Playing with wood and normal cutting duties I find myself touching the blade up every other week.
The main blade over the past 10 years has reduced in size and has scratched up a fair bit
y8eRME5.jpg

On the left is a similar aged Spartan that sees some pocket time so it's not perfect.
sZiLJQK.jpg

I use a DC3 or a Lansky to regularly sharpen it. Not to "shaving" sharp because I don't shave with it. I like a toothy edge for work.

Small Blade
The small blade is neat. I have scoured my photos and I cant find many photos of me using it, not to say I don't use it but it's not used a great deal. I guess if I would have an ideal knife I might swap out the small blade for a cadet style nail file, but i don't live in a fantasy world and I'll make do with what I have.
sg0CDy7.jpg

The Saw
The saw has been super useful for me. I haven't had to sharpen it yet. I cut green wood mostly but I have cut plastic and some rubber with it too.
8WMsVGZ.jpg

It does clog up a bit but it's easy to clean. It has saved many a trip back to the shed to get a large saw.

The Scissors
The scissors are also very handy and when I have a knife without them I find myself missing them.
w311Rd4.jpg

My son loves cutting grass with them. My wife used them all the time and I use them for cutting templates for welding jobs.
ut4uge6.jpg

After 10 years I find them getting a little dull, I haven't sharpened them at all in this time. A light touch with a fine stone will have them sharp again when it's time.

The Openers
Of all the tools these are my favourite, I can see why there on most Swiss Army Knives. The can opener is the easiest way for me to open a can. As a left hander, regular can openers don't work well for me. I've actually been banned from using my wife's can openers because I always damage them.
SbhCxAH.jpg

ZLZctTC.jpg

The screwdriver is quite often used and does a better then expected job with Phillips screwdriver screws.
El01sUO.jpg

I find it good for poking and prodding things
PZX3EJe.jpg

The bottle opener is great for the obvious as well as many scraping tasks and large flat screw driving jobs.
gU70hlD.jpg
q7QNtdq.jpg

The Back Tools
The awl, hook and corkscrew all have been helpful over the years and deserve there spot on this knife. Particularly the awl. I have poked many a hole in things with this handy tool.
zx85KeG.jpg

The corkscrew has helped out with many a task as well
j3Z3nYs.jpg

Scale tools and Scales
The toothpick has been used constantly for 10 years and has stayed in its place without fail. A couple of times I've had trouble getting it and the tweezers out but that was because of my poor cleaning at times.
The tweezers are quite handy and have stopped some pain after removing splinters many a time.
There is a spot for a straight pin but I find in dusty conditions it builds up with rubbish and the pin acts as a wedge to push the scales off, so I choose not to use it.
Now the scales have not been looked after in any way and there have lost there shine a long time ago but there still fully functional. I did glue them last time I took the scales off for cleaning. I think i may take off the scales for cleaning a bit more then the average guy and the remove replace action has taken the ability for the scales to grip the attachment points.
oHTDwbm.jpg

The Keyring
The key ring is very handy, I have a whistle on it at all times. I attach a lanyard here as well for easy removal from my pocket.

So to sum up this knife has been a great companion at work and play for me I am lost without it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I have three from different time periods and there all great knives.
o00nFUw.jpg
ovzoCeM.jpg

I am a huntsman and this Huntsman has been my most used knife, and I have a few different knives to choose from ;)

Most of the photos are posted here on blade forums elsewhere.

Below is a link to a job I did that needed 6mm canvas reinforced rubber to be cut into strips. It shows Sak steel is perfectly fine for cutting.

Dan.

Outstanding post sir. You have captured the spirit of the capability of a Swiss Army Knife.

Understood.

I have been using a pellet break barrel rifle lately. It’s not as effective as a 12 gauge 7 shot but way more fun and quiet.

The shotgun makes the flocks all scatter from the noise. The pellet has less percussion but requires more focus.

I miss the days when a box of 25 shells was under five bucks.

Don't talk about ammo prices... $19 for 7 1/2 shot here and $94 for 45-70...for 20!
I reload and have a good stock of components put away but I feel sorry for my son when he gets older. Prices will put new shooters off from our lifestyle.

100% agree mate. I thought my Huntsman needs a bit of recognition, it's not fancy its not rare it just does its job no fuss and you can't ask much more from a tool then that.
I'm sure it will still be fine for a 20 year review.
Dan.

We'll hold you to that, see you in a decade :)

Also agree that's the highest praise you can give a tool-"does its job".
No disclaimers, no "but you have to use it just so etc", no, "its ok, but I'd prefer something else", just "does whats its there for"

Outstanding post sir. You have captured the spirit of the capability of a Swiss Army Knife.

What an awesome read and pictures to start the day with. I always like your posts, and your well used Huntsman. I'm also impressed that you kept the blade shape, even after a lot of sharpening. Thanks, bro.

What an awesome read and pictures to start the day with. I always like your posts, and your well used Huntsman. I'm also impressed that you kept the blade shape, even after a lot of sharpening. Thanks, bro.
Thankyou mate, I enjoy sharing my photos and sharing my knife experiences.
Dan

Hey Dan.. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I too enjoy all your posts and pics over there.. :D Nice review.. Looks like you found "That One" ...;)
John:)

Back