100 yard .22 rifle

E40

Gold Member
I have a 10/22 receiver that is probably getting close to 30 years old. It was a stainless and composite stock gun for a while until I decided to do some upgrades. Those upgrades ended in only the receiver being the original 10/22 part; aside from a Boyd's (I thinnk) stock, everything else was Volquartsen. Put a Mueller 4-14X40 scope and that is how it remained for years. Last year I bought a VQ .17 HMR and this year I bought a VQ .22. They are and will be my hunting guns. So I thought I would use my 10/22 receiver as a base and build up a 100 yard gun. Just for fun and compete against myself.

So I got a Kidd trigger, MDT Oryx chassis and an Athlon scope for starters. I had some good ammo but have set out to collect some more, mostly Eley to this point. Lapua and SK are impossible to find, besides a little pistol ammo and they are priced out of sight.

The Kidd is a single stage set at 1.5 lbs. which is my most comfortable setting for a number of my guns.

The Oryx has been around for a little while. Not overly pricey like most, but I liked the sleekness and simplicity of it. Cheek riser, M-Lok under the forearm and a cross bolt at the rear of the receiver for added stability. I have added spacers, knobs for the cheek riser, front sling swivel and a 7 slot M-Lok picatinny rail to mount an Atlas bipod.

I have been a lifelong Leupold fan with a mixture of Nikon, before they stopped making scopes. This is the first Athlon; really the first time I even looked in this brand. Don't see a ton of them but I found mostly good reviews. 4-20X50 with AO. Really like it, tracks perfectly.

IMG_3183 1.jpg

Here is my first try ever at 100 yards. The farthest to the left was my wind dope shot. I adjusted for the rest. It was pretty breezy, got windy or I might have tried again. I find I shoot better with shorter sessions and I had already shot 50-60 rounds plus another .22 another 50.

image1 1.jpg

A week later with less wind, but not no wind.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-07-05 095234.529390 1.jpg

Due to the summer weather, I probably won't try any more. Just too hot, always a breeze except first thing in the morning when the bugs will eat you alive.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I don't know much about hunting, shooting and guns. But the little I know is that an accurate setup and propper training is key to place the lead where you want it. And seems like you have those two things dialed in!

Mikel

Reactions: E40
I don't know much about hunting, shooting and guns. But the little I know is that an accurate setup and propper training is key to place the lead where you want it. And seems like you have those two things dialed in!

Mikel
Thanks, I know I can do better but not without more shooting to find the best ammo for this setup and fine tuning my shooting form.

Try Matchbooks at 100 yards. (do they still make matchbooks?)
If matchbooks are not available, a 1 or 2 inch diameter dot on a sheet of paper.
I used matchbooks for my target when I was a youngling and could see a standard 1 inch wide x 1.25 inch tall matchbook at that distance. (back then "everyone" smoked. Matchbooks were free at restaurants, most reail stores, gas stations ... under 10's could get them, too ... and go to the store and buy boxes of ammo ...)
I could consistantly hit 10 out of 10 after it was sighted in, and a bit of practice.

Rifle was a Ithica Model 49 "Saddle Gun" single shot .22 lever action, using the factory open iron sights.

Ahh ... for the days when you could get a box of 50 .22 LR for 25 cents or even the c1990 days when a brick of 500 was $5.00 at Walmart ...

I had a Henry that I topped with a Nikon specific for .22 rounds and the BDC points were pretty damn spot on. I had no issues picking off clay pigeons at 100. Past that it started to get a little dicey. I’ve since taken the scope off and just shoot Skinner peep sights on my lever guns but I still have the scope for a future rifle.

Ahh ... for the days when you could get a box of 50 .22 LR for 25 cents or even the c1990 days when a brick of 500 was $5.00 at Walmart ...
I live in Spain but I was an exchange student in Wisconsin when I was 16 (that was like 22 years ago) and I recall buying those 500 bricks in Walmart no problem... Can quite recall what I paid for it but sure it wasn't too expensive if I could afford it!

Mikel

That’s a very nice rifle you have there E40 E40 . Nice set up also. And nice groups.

This is my 50 & 100yd rifle.
Stock CZ 452 Varmint
Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 with adjustable objective.
Burris Signature rings.

I can usually keep 5 shot groups between .75 - 1.0” @ 100yds with SK Rifle Match. Bench rested.

Its a little heavy, but I really enjoy shooting it.

Last edited:
Happy to see some activity in here. Still waiting for some decent weather to shoot - we are having another week in the 90's with heat index into the 100's.

I have collected quite a bit of different ammo since I first posted this and chomping at the bit to try it all.

3fifty7 3fifty7 looks like a sleeper. What stock is that?

Bell and Carlson Anschutz Thumbhole.

Yea I remember about 7 or 8 ammo shortages ago, walking into Cabelas and picking up a dozen different boxes of ammo just to shoot groups and chase accuracy for a while. Get things well tuned only to put it in the safe . I don’t think I’ve shot it in 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Back