102 CLUB

Here's mine again...
I have a couple of questions, @gedlicks, James does your sheath have any marking, Buck on snap or 102 on the back? When was the open snap sheath used and when was the flap-over? My flap over has Buck on the snap, but, no 102 on the back. Thanks in advance to anyone answering.
h4A8ug8.jpg

When was the open snap sheath used and when was the flap-over? My flap over has Buck on the snap, but, no 102 on the back.

I have a little sheath information, and I'm sure others can add more. The open snap or keeper strap was used into 1964, and in 1964 the snap was stamped BUCK. Earlier keeper strap sheaths did not have the BUCK stamp. The 1968 sheath has "102" on the belt loop

Bert

here is a photo of the back of the flap-over. Hard to tell if 102 was stamped because of the wear..

I forgot to mention that in addition to "102" on the belt loop, the 1968 sheath has a concave snap on the belt loop. Your photo doesn't show that.

Bert

Thanks again, bertl bertl Bert, I bought that knife off the BF Exchange last year and the flap-over is the one that came with it, sent it in for SPA treatment. I have had the other for some time. No way of knowing what the sheath for this knife originally was.

In the first 24 hours, 15 people have shown a photo of a 102. Consider yourselves Charter Members. We have a way to go to catch up with the Pathfinder Club and the 117 Club.

Bert

Ace Rimmer
AntDog
bertl
DeSotoSky
etexas
eveled
gedlicks
Gpyro
Haebbie
jb4570
jbmonkey
Jeff of the North
LostViking
Old Hunter
pjsjr
stevekolt
Tecate

Last edited:
How deep are those grind lines? It looks like it would benefit from some sanding which would smooth it out and eliminate the goofy printing.

I'll have to dig the knife out and take a look.

Take a look at this photo of a 102 Pro from 2021 and a 102 One-liner from 1964. Ignore the difference in handle material but see if you can find a significant difference between the two. The photo was taken with a grid work background for a reason, and the blade spines are pretty much parallel to the horizontal lines of the grid. Please leave a comment.

Bert

1 angle copy.jpeg

Take a look at this photo of a 102 Pro from 2021 and a 102 One-liner from 1964. Ignore the difference in handle material but see if you can find a significant difference between the two. The photo was taken with a grid work background for a reason, and the blade spines are pretty much parallel to the horizontal lines of the grid. Please leave a comment.

Bert

View attachment 1536858
the end pommel is a different angle shape and size, blades are ground very different. blade
dimensions are different. grip to blade angling is very different on the pro. some other variations. in a way they are very different knives.

good pic to compare with the grid lines to see the differences.

the end pommel is a different angle shape and size, blades are ground very different. blade
dimensions are different. grip to blade angling is very different on the pro. some other variations. in a way they are very different knives.

JB, you have a good eye. I'll save my comment for a while—maybe some others will comment.

Bert

It also appears that the sides of the pommel and guard and maybe even the handle are slightly flatter on the '64 model, but it might just be the photo.

TAH, that isn't what I was thinking about when I made this post, but you are correct. I bought the '64 knife from Harold Klinkhamer several years ago and he wrote that shortly after 1964 Buck started using different bar stock for the pommel. The pommel on this knife is pretty rectangular with virtually no rounding. Unfortunately, I lost my notes with specific information. Maybe I'll take some photos with a top view showing differences in pommels. Just don't hold your breath.

Bert

Back