1095 Rust/Corrosion Test

For most of the past month, I've been testing the corrosion effectiveness of various treatments. Here's a video showing the prep and products, and how they did for me.
[video]https://youtu.be/O7ZThs1y8xs[/video]

Anthony

Self Made Knives on Facebook
Self Made on YouTube
https://instagram.com/selfmadeknives/

I've been asked about "food safe". Anyone know if Ren wax is food safe? I doubt anything I tested was food safe, except maybe the mineral oil.

I've been asked about "food safe". Anyone know if Ren wax is food safe? I doubt anything I tested was food safe, except maybe the mineral oil.

The MSDS for Renaissance Wax strikes me as vague, in that it suggests it's not hazardous. BUT, the ingredients listed in the MSDS indicate an 80% concentration of a 'White Spirit' with a CAS# of 64741-92-0 (this is 'Naphtha (petroleum),solvent-refined heavy'). Assuming the solvent evaporates when used, like most solvents do, there may not be a hazard after the product is applied and allowed to dry/cure, leaving 'microcrystalline wax' behind, listed as the other principle ingredient. But I definitely wouldn't be eating the stuff out of the jar by the spoonful, like peanut butter. ;)

David

Last edited:

IMHO, No. As stated in the post by Obsessed with Edges, Ren wax has petroleum based products in it. If you want food safe I'd go with Mineral oil or a light coat of Froglube (98% biobased) if you want a wax over oil.

IMHO, No. As stated in the post by Obsessed with Edges, Ren wax has petroleum based products in it. If you want food safe I'd go with Mineral oil or a light coat of Froglube (98% biobased) if you want a wax over oil.

The irony is, mineral oil is also a petroleum-sourced product (made entirely from it, in fact). So, just "having petroleum based products in it" doesn't necessarily mean it's not food-safe. Depends on which petroleum products are there (like the solvents which aren't safe, as compared to the mineral oil).

I personally wouldn't worry too much about using the Ren wax anyway, as the solvents used will evaporate after application; and the wax left on a blade is in such minimal amounts, it shouldn't matter. I think this is why the MSDS implies it's not particularly hazardous for ingestion, so long as it's used as intended (and not eaten raw straight from the jar, while the solvent is still there).

David

Back