1095 steel and rust

R.A.T.

Randall's Adventure & Training
We have just received an email from a LEO saying the edge of their blade is rusting and there is also some minor rust forming around some of the laser engraving. We have discussed this before on the forums but I thought I would make a sticky thread out of it so everyone understands how to care for their 1095 carbon steel knife.

We treat every knife from the factory with a rust inhibitor but it doesn't stay on forever, especially if you are handling or using your knife with sweaty hands or using it in humid areas. While 1095 is a top choice for professional cutlery designed for hard use, it will rust and stain if not properly cared for - especially on the cutting edge and around the laser engraving since the engraving burns through the coating slightly. It is the user's responsibility to keep the blades properly lubricated and cleaned. We suggest using a dry film rust inhibitor such as TUF-GLIDE or TUF-CLOTH if you want your knife to stay pristine. Otherwise, do like we do and just use the knife and not worry about a little bit of rust since it does not hurt the blade in any manner, nor does a little bit of rust on the edge hurt you if you cut up food with your knife.

While we make every attempt to build a really good looking knife, the bottom line is we build "using" cutlery and that's the reason we like 1095. So, keep your knives clean with a rust inhibitor or be slobs like us and not worry about a little bit of staining :D

I use mine enough that the rust gets rubbed off and every time i sharpen it the rust magically disappears. The lazer engraving is the only part I could see being a problem (if you actually care about it) as long as you actually use your knife. Tell that LEO to start using his knife instead of trying to keep it pretty. :D

Do you provide this information with each knife? That would be a good idea for people like this customer who are uneducated about cabon steel.

Keep in mind that most production knives out there are made from stainless steel and most people are ignorant about this.

I really want your company to succeed.

One thing to add might be that Tuf Cloth and petroleum oils aren't the best lubricators if you use your knife for food prep/eating. Mineral oil, which isn't harmful at all to the human body, is the best choice if your knife touches your food.

The amount of petroleum that may be on a knife blade to keep it from rusting will never be enough to harm anyone. I've used 3 in 1 oil for years on my knives and cut food with them directly. No problem.

I've honed off that rust a few times on the edge of my RC-3. It mainly comes from sweat. I wipe off the knife entirely with WD-40 every now and then, disassembling the scales.

I've used 3 in 1 oil for years on my knives and cut food with them directly.

That explains alot:D. Just kidding. I'm sure it isn't enough to cause any major trouble, but I'll stick with mineral oil.

Yep, XMP, I was going to say it's has caused me no harm, except for one leg being shorter than the other, not being able to see anymore and this weird, uncontrollable tic that I get every so often. :D

I rub mine with a silicone cloth.

I live within 9 miles of the Atlantic Ocean, so if my blades don't rust, it works.

Rust on a user won't stay on there long anyway. I could see if it you were a collector, rust would not be good. But it would take a lifetime of rust to really make a knife non functional.

Rust... Some people think it tastes like ketchup (or is it catsup?):D

Depends on if it's made with cats. . .

You know, I just thought of something. So many are so paranoid about rust, but I remember as a kid eating apples with an old Case slipjoint that had quite a patina on it, and not a few spots of out-and-out rust.

I just think it's overblown. All my knives except my Buck 110 and SAK are carbon steel, and it's rare to see rust at all. Living in a saltwater environment like I do, I should see it a lot more. Makes me think that guys who get a lot of rust on carbon blades must not take care of or use their knives -- at all.

I've never had a single problem with 1095. It gets a darker patina, and if surface rust forms...just use the damn thing! A quick wipe down with any sort of cloth will keep a carbon steel knife in good condition. The LEO needs some schooling me thinks.

I have 2 knives in 1095 and theres a little bit of rust on the top. But after using it, The rust goes away....You buy a knife to use, not to look pretty. Most Cops i see carry cheap china knives, with 1500 dollar 1911's. I laugh on the inside.

I love my knives. I use them everyday and i sharpen them when they need it. I also use them...So a little rust, scratches, scuffs, gives it character

It never ceases to amaze me that people, especially some on this forum, are shocked that 1095 will rust.

:D

I ended up taking the coating off my knife and it did tend to generate a lot of surface rust in damp environments that simply required a little green scrubby pad option to take off. Since then I encouraged a patina using the mustard technique and the knife no longer shows any surface rust. As others have said, the surface rust really doesn't harm anything as long as you don't let it progress over long time periods into pitting.

I was gone for the past 2 weeks on a trip and had to leave my RC-4 at home. I took a look at it when I got back. I notice the edge has taken on a bit of patina since then which sort of dulled the edge slightly. A couple of strokes on the stones tuned it right back to where I like it.

If somebody is really anal about having a shiny knife they should probably buy stainless - but then that defeats many of the great qualities of 1095's. This carbon steel is one of my favorites and I like it both in thick and thin varieties. Well worth the little bit of maintenance needs.

The LEO needs some schooling me thinks.

Jskatz,

You are probably far more right than ya know. I've been in LE since 1996, and if I had gotten a dime for every Smith & Wesson H.R.T knife or Similiar POS Ive seev on another cop since then I would be a very wealthy man.
Fact is, as far as knives go, if it isnt sold in GALL's magazine (galls is a Latin word that translates to f*&%$ public safety out of their cash) then most LEO's never carry it.
Which means cheap knife, cheap stainless steel, but no rust. So when this LEO saw the rust he prob actually thought "My knife broke".

So Yep, the LE community at large do need Blade Basics 101 alot of the time. But on a 2nd note, Most of your Road guys never end up making enough to dump a ton on higher end blades either.

I spray all of my knives with a silicon lubricant. It works great ... and I live in a VERY humid climate/

Back