1095 steel and rust

I'm all about hardcore survival and preparedness. I just coat it with peanutbutter all the way. Great for lubrication and provides me with food at the same time :D

1095 is one of my favorite steels. I use Rem oil and have never had a problem.

Just FYI, Rem Oil is just mineral oil. Baby oil is just mineral oil with perfume. You can get bulk mineral oil at Lowes or the like pretty cheap. Or use baby oil if you dont mind the perfume. No sence in paying 3-4 dollars for a couple onces of mineral oil.

BTW mineral oil isn't a very good lube for guns, so if your also using it for that you may wanna look at some other options.

Just FYI, Rem Oil is just mineral oil. Baby oil is just mineral oil with perfume. You can get bulk mineral oil at Lowes or the like pretty cheap. Or use baby oil if you dont mind the perfume. No sence in paying 3-4 dollars for a couple onces of mineral oil.

BTW mineral oil isn't a very good lube for guns, so if your also using it for that you may wanna look at some other options.

Oh Boy!!!

So you feel that Rem Oil, which is a pertroleum based distillate with Teflon added, is "just mineral oil"...no no no.

Rem Oil IS NOT mineral oil. Both have their places, but are clearly very different.

Last edited:
I use Break-Free CLP on all my guns, so it's easy for me just to wipe my carbon steel knives down with the same oil when I'm cleaning all my kit. I suppose it works well enough, since my knives don't rust and I've never experienced a malfunction with them...

No since getting mad at people for their obvious lack of knowledge. They will learn or they will leave, either way we all win. :D

I have only ever wiped my blades with my hand in fresh water after use and put them away. Never any rust including use next to the beach

Brand new here, looking at an RC5 for my 40th bday next month... how often does the blade need to be wiped down w/ say, a tufcloth? Is it just when you notice rust? Is it once a month? This will be a blade for my BOB. It's not going to be a daily user, so I'm a little concerned about making sure it's in great shape and not a bar of rust if it's ever needed in a SHTF situation...

Back