110 bolsters

Howdy folks, been searching for an answer on the net but nothing so far. Are the bolsters, especially the rear, soldered on as well as pinned?

Thanks, Pete

The bolsters are part of the frame half. The front (1) and rear (2) pins hold the halves together. The bolsters aren't removable. If you see examples without a rear bolster, it was milled/ground off.

Agreed^. Each side is made with bolsters, front and rear. Then with the blade in the middle they are pinned together. If you see one
without a rear bolster, it has been sanded down/ off. DM

I would not have thought that. Makes what i'm about to do a little more difficult. thanks for the info. I recon I should find a cheaper knife to start on. :)

I would not have thought that. Makes what i'm about to do a little more difficult. thanks for the info. I recon I should find a cheaper knife to start on. :)

You might check around. The 110 is pretty inexpensive, I think you can pick one up for $30 or so, and have all the fun you want. :):thumbsup:

110parts-1-1.jpg

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/like-to-look-at-a-110-diagram.584379/

Last edited:
The fact that the frame and bolsters are one piece makes for a very strong knife.

The fact that the frame and bolsters are one piece makes for a very strong knife.
true, but it would be stronger with steel screwed construction and steel pivot, etc vs. brass rods. throw a pocket clip on there and ......

yeah i know beating a dead horse.:)

I don't "get" the desire for pocket clips. Don't they cause a rather major hot spot?
I know the few "modern" knives I had with them were quite uncomfortable to use, because of the clip digging into my hand.
I gave away all my "moderns" and kept the 110 in a belt sheath.

I know what your saying. I don't like the pocket clip because it doesn't feel right in my hand. But some do.
Yet, I really like the idea of a steel screw at the front and rear bolsters. So, I may just have to do it like Tiguy. DM

I know what you are saying or thinking about pocket clips but I believe it depends on the style and how it's fastened on. If Buck could come up with this set up on a 110 style knife, I'm not saying stop with the classic 110 but having a 110 style knife with a pocket clip. Close to this setup.
IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0863.JPG
It feels good in the hand and carries deep in pocket easy access. Love the Vantage! The 110 is also a Great Knife and to me I would love for Buck to make it with Stainless frame, pins or screws would be better and this damm pocket clip. All of the same scale options too. I think it would be a cool knife titanium would be even better but price would be on the high side. The stainless frame would be tougher than Brass or nickel just not as pretty to some :D I'am dreaming haha
ATENTION NOT SUGGESTING TO DISCONTINUE THE ORIGINAL BUCK 110 IN ANY WAY :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don't "get" the desire for pocket clips. Don't they cause a rather major hot spot?
I know the few "modern" knives I had with them were quite uncomfortable to use, because of the clip digging into my hand.
I gave away all my "moderns" and kept the 110 in a belt sheath.
depends on how ones used to carrying a pocket knife. i like slip joints, grew up with them, but highly dislike carrying them loose in a pocket unless wedged between my wallet and the seam of my pants back pocket. even then eventually it falls flat in the pocket unless wide enough to stay upright. that is until have to use my wallet.

belt sheaths are okay and i carry 110s and 112s thay way. once pocket clips came out i started carrying folders that way and it makes it quick and easily to grab use and replace. guess if using for long cutting tasks all day it could create a hot spot ot two, but if im gonna do that kinda cutting work i grab a fixed blade myself. i usually carry both, so i dont have a didnt have when needed it issue.

for a 110 id like a vantage style clip that could be removed if one didnt like it. plus not asking for every version of 110 to have one, just one with screwed steel construction and pocket clip.

i get many think what im saying is complete nonsense.....its just a dream of mine to carry a 110 like i carry all modern folders.

I am a belt pouch guy who prefers not having a pocket clip. That being said, I can always take a pocket clip off if I don't like it. I, too, am surprised they don't have a model with this option... maybe with sand blasted Micarta scales for a little grip.

I thoroughly enjoyed pocket clips until one day I noticed all my furniture was all scratched in the same spot. It was that dang clip. I went back to 110's and 112's and have been happier since. Never really did like that space age look anyway...

Ok, I'm old.

Yep, I prefer the sheath on my belt for the 110. I haven't tried the lanyard mod MtPokt does.
You can always find a titanium buck 560. Lighter, thinner, put a pocket clip on that. Or buy a lochsa.[URL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Makael2/media/20170924_211515_zpsjvplgltz.jpg.html][/URL]

I don't see buck screwing with their number one selling knife.

110 should probably be left alone. Their has been alot of options lately come out and they are impressive.

Last edited:
The door is sliding open and a lot of folks are messing with the 110. Screw construction, bareheaded, drop point blade, adding a pocket clip, titanium handles, ect.. It's going to happen and options will be offered. But the original 110 will still be offered.
DM

I have been carrying my 111 Classic for several weeks now. Aluminum frame-- oh- my! It's pretty, it's light, it fits in my back pocket and I don't know I have it. When I pull it out so many like it. Some whinned for Buck to bring out a knife like this and Buck did 37 years ago. But to me it's fine for light duty cutting. Slicing my apple, opening boxes, ect.. It's just not a duty knife I would want on some of my travels. Use it to deliver a blow with the handle to discourage a hostile exchange. Use it to cut some mesquite limbs away from my tires. Use it to castrate a few calves. Use it to cut a radiator hose or a sheet of sheet rock.
Where you really have to push it thru some material. For this type use I hope I was carrying ole Blue the Titan. The weight be darned. I like the comfort of the thicker handle and the heft. DM

They already offered the 110 with a pocket clip, G10, thumbstud and s30v. Slow seller unfortunately. People bitch about the thumbstud,,, so use the nail nick.

Yep lots of aftermarket mods available, which all void the warranty. And the warranty is one of the best.

I have been carrying my 111 Classic for several weeks now. Aluminum frame-- oh- my! It's pretty, it's light, it fits in my back pocket and I don't know I have it. When I pull it out so many like it. Some whinned for Buck to bring out a knife like this and Buck did 37 years ago. But to me it's fine for light duty cutting. Slicing my apple, opening boxes, ect.. It's just not a duty knife I would want on some of my travels. Use it to deliver a blow with the handle to discourage a hostile exchange. Use it to cut some mesquite limbs away from my tires. Use it to castrate a few calves. Use it to cut a radiator hose or a sheet of sheet rock.
Where you really have to push it thru some material. For this type use I hope I was carrying ole Blue the Titan. The weight be darned. I like the comfort of the thicker handle and the heft. DM
Agreed

Back