110 not ss

Ok did Buck make a 110 that doesn’t have SS blade ? Looking for a blade that will throw a spark . Thanks Hawk

Stainless steel works fine with a ferro rod ?
AdAHJwv.jpg

Hawk, gonna be harder to find one as vendor that sold them seems to be out of them. not currently in production I mean....the 5160 110s. ebay or one of the fellas here might be able to help ya find one easier.

I use my ss knives and tools with a ferro rod. Just yesterday I tried a new rod with my 420hc blade and it works great.

I have 2 Exotac Nanostriker fire starters. The older model has a 440-C stainless steel striker; the newer model has a Tungsten Carbide striker. Guess which one makes more sparks. The 440-C has an HRC of 60, and the Tungsten Carbide clocks in at 72 HRC.

One dealer had SFO 110's with 5160. A Buck knife with a carbon seel blade was never a standard production item (uless you count the beginning years when all the knives were forged from worn out files), or available in the custom Shop. (at least not in the Custom Shop since the move to Idhao in 2005. I don't know about the California Custom Shop).

As jbmonkey jbmonkey said above, in post number 5, that dealer is presently sold out of all the various 100 series knives they had with 5160 blades, not just the 110 and 112.
I asked them today, about the Buck SFO's becoming availble again between now and 2024. They don't expect to get any "in the forseeable future." "...Buck has limited production capability at this time." was the reason given.
(They are no longer a BF supporting dealer, so I cannot mention them by name anymore.)

Your best bet to find one is on the exchange here, the big auction site, or some other website that sells used knives. (there are several) Other options (please don't hate me for mentioning them) is getting a flint and steel like was used before "Ferro Rods" were invented (available on several websites, with or without kindling/char cloth/natural cordage) , a BIC or ZIPPO lighter, strike anywhere matches and a match stick safe, a magnesum "forever match"... the bow and string like you used when a BSA ...

Truthfully, a lighter or matches work a lot better than any ferro rod or flint and steel. Do you honesly think the boyz 'n gurlz "back in the day" wouldn't have used matches or a lighter if they had been invented/available?

FWIW, stainless with a 90 degree spine will spark a Ferro rod. Look at how many SS knives are sold with one (with or withut a suitable spine angle), and not just the MilTec, Tac Force, Master, made in Pakistan Frost, and other low quality fantasy mall ninja wanna bee knife and "WTF IS THAT?!?" shaped objects.

Last edited:
I have bought at least 3 after market Damascus 110 blades on the bay. They are definitely Carbon steel.image.jpeg

Copper & Clad has a 110 5160 carbon steel drop point, but they may be out of stock at the moment.

Ok did Buck make a 110 that doesn’t have SS blade ? Looking for a blade that will throw a spark . Thanks Hawk

With a ferro rod or flint and steel?

Any sharp and hard edge will work with a ferro rod, including stainless steel (I've use the swedge of a Buck 110 several times), ceramics, and glass.

You only need a non-stainless for flint and steel. In that case, there are Buck 110s in 5160. I don't know for sure if it will work well with flint/chirt/quartz, but it probably will.

Many like to use ferro rods. I like magnesium bars with them. Can't miss.

5160 is still to be had at Copperandclad and probably elsewhere.

Copper & Clad has a 110 5160 carbon steel drop point, but they may be out of stock at the moment.
5160 is still to be had at Copperandclad and probably elsewhere.

I bought one of these 2 years ago with a clip point. I haven't seen one "in stock" for quite some time. Maybe discontinued?
At one time you could choose 5160 as part of a custom configuration from Buck, but now I think the "custom" blade choice has been changed to S30V.

Last edited:
It is interesting to note that 420HC is tougher than 5160 and S30V. 420HC probably has a bit better edge holding than 5160, 1095, and other lower end non-stainless steels.

One dealer had SFO 110's with 5160. A Buck knife with a carbon seel blade was never a standard production item (uless you count the beginning years when all the knives were forged from worn out files), or available in the custom Shop. (at least not in the Custom Shop since the move to Idhao in 2005. I don't know about the California Custom Shop).

As jbmonkey jbmonkey said above, in post number 5, that dealer is presently sold out of all the various 100 series knives they had with 5160 blades, not just the 110 and 112.
I asked them today, about the Buck SFO's becoming availble again between now and 2024. They don't expect to get any "in the forseeable future." "...Buck has limited production capability at this time." was the reason given.
(They are no longer a BF supporting dealer, so I cannot mention them by name anymore.)

Your best bet to find one is on the exchange here, the big auction site, or some other website that sells used knives. (there are several) Other options (please don't hate me for mentioning them) is getting a flint and steel like was used before "Ferro Rods" were invented (available on several websites, with or without kindling/char cloth/natural cordage) , a BIC or ZIPPO lighter, strike anywhere matches and a match stick safe, a magnesum "forever match"... the bow and string like you used when a BSA ...

Truthfully, a lighter or matches work a lot better than any ferro rod or flint and steel. Do you honesly think the boyz 'n gurlz "back in the day" wouldn't have used matches or a lighter if they had been invented/available?

FWIW, stainless with a 90 degree spine will spark a Ferro rod. Look at how many SS knives are sold with one (with or withut a suitable spine angle), and not just the MilTec, Tac Force, Master, made in Pakistan Frost, and other low quality fantasy mall ninja wanna bee knife and "WTF IS THAT?!?" shaped objects.
Buck Compadre series axe, camp knife and Froe , Buck Ron Hood Punk, Thug and Hoodlum. The newer GCK series.
A 5160 version of all the 100 series popped up now and again at the factory store. Buck 192 i just saw in 5160. Buck 808 Talon. Buck 245 Matt Would Go.
Buck 017 Thorn.

Wish it was a steel we could see more often.

Last edited:
Back