110 Wet Sheath

Pack Rat

Gold Member
Some of you may remember me posting about a 110 still in a clammie that I bought off of ebay years ago. The ad clearly stated that it had been under water for some period of time.
So I got it cheap. When it arrived and I opened it up the knife was fine, but the sheath was seriously molded and reeked.

So I took the lysol to it and finally got the smell out. But while I was rubbing it with the lysol all the black started coming off the pocket. Somewhere in these old threads I posted pics of the process.

Anyhow, That sheath is laying here in this mess of oldies ive been playing with so I thought I would use it for one of the inverted two liners Im considering carrying.

Well, that sheath shrunk. It would only come within about 3/8 of an inch to snapping.
And that was with a two liner that is narrower than the modern 110s.
I even tried a minty one liner and still no snappie..

So then that minty inverted one liner is laying here in a sheath and unfortunately it was NIB in the safe that went underwater for 6 days in the Harvey flood. Box and paper destroyed

It comes within about 1/4 inch of snapping..

Just never thought about sheaths shrinking.
IMG_E2909.JPG IMG_E2911.JPG

Last edited:
You can probably fix that if you want. Do what is called casing the leather. Immerse the leather in water and leave it there until the air bubbles stop rising. You can't get it to wet. Take it out of the water and seal in a zip lock bag. Leave it in the bag for several hours to over night. When you take it out of the bag it should be soft pliable and able to be stretched. Put you knife in the sheath. Wrap it in plastic wrap, if your worried about it getting wet. Or you could make a wooden mold the same size as the knife. Stretch the flap over the knife and snap it. Leave it out where there is good air circulation and allow to air dry. When dry remove the knife, and treat the sheath, with your favorite leather dressing.

I have used casing to mold leather, when making that style sheath, and other leather projects. I haven't tried to stretch a shrunk sheath. But in your pictures the leather appears to be in good shape. So I think your chances of success should be good.

O.B.

Last edited:
I've used that method to mold a sheath to a fixed blade knife that it originally wasn't designed for and it worked really really good.

I’m a lifetime user of 110 knives. When the sheaths get floppy I soak them then let them dry on a heat source and they shrink back to normal.

The other trick I learned if you put the knife and sheath in your back pocket for a full day, the flap and back strap get pushed back into shape.

I’ve worn out dozens of sheaths. The one that lasted the longest was the heavy nylon one from the Walmart packs. While it’s obviously a cost cutting move, that nylon sheath is no slouch.

I’m liking that two tone look

I have spot tested several black sheaths and have yet to find another two tone.
Thanks for the stretch/ shrinkage hints guys!

I have done the process described by Old Biker above and was able to stretch the sheath to fit one of the 110 two liners.
But,,, As it soaked the black die began coming out into the jar. I found that interesting and just left it for several days.
Interestingly enough it turned the light tan pocket to a deep rich burgundy coloration. Maybe it will show up in the pic. IMG_E2964.JPG
I think it is a nice look.

IMG_E2965.JPG Before
Soooo, then I have a tan 100 year sheath that is kind of shelf worn and stuffed it in the jar along with some oddball black non buck sheath. Just took it out of the jar after several days and it darkened it up a bit. I think it looks a bit better.
IMG_E2965.JPG
fun with sheaths..
The after pic doesnt show as much change as there is.

Attachments

• IMG_E2965.JPG
    IMG_E2965.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have done the process described by Old Biker above and was able to stretch the sheath to fit one of the 110 two liners.
But,,, As it soaked the black die began coming out into the jar. I found that interesting and just left it for several days.
Interestingly enough it turned the light tan pocket to a deep rich burgundy coloration. Maybe it will show up in the pic. View attachment 1519083
I think it is a nice look.
yep. I like it better over the all black, myself. glad it all worked out well for ya, Sir

I'm glad you were able to make the sheath usable again. The color change that you like is a nice bonus.

O.B.

It will lighten up as it drys.
Just make sure you condition it well after it dries so it doesn't become overly dry and crack.

Obenauffs heavy duty LP, Brick 4, or Angelus neatsfoot oil are all great products.
Obenauffs and the neatsfoot oil are the most affordable, the brick 4 you get a decent sized bottle for the money and it works great, but I just don't like the smell.

Back