112 Pocket Clip Installation

Who are the experts at installing a Buck pocket clip on a 112?

I know when installing the clip, one must be careful to avoid the pins. I’m looking for someone who’s done this type of work many, many times. So much that they’re the go-to guy for such work.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Have you thought about a double sided tape option so if wanted you can revert back to clipless? 3M offers tapes that would pull the wood right off of a traditional 110 or 112 lol. Cut off with fishing line, dental floss, etc and clean residue.

Since you haven't gotten a response from anyone who has done it, I'll try shooting blind. If I remember correctly you can use a little bit of vinegar or the like to lightly tarnish the bolsters which should allow you to see where the pins are.

T tiguy7 has done some different Buck knives himself. not sure about a 112. but seen some 560s and maybe a 110 hes done. shouldn't be too different to those. sure he will share helpful info on how to do it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Who are the experts at installing a Buck pocket clip on a 112?

I know when installing the clip, one must be careful to avoid the pins. I’m looking for someone who’s done this type of work many, many times. So much that they’re the go-to guy for such work.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

When installing a pocket clip on a metal knife (like Aluminum, brass, or Titanium) using machine screws, you can directly drill and tap the metal. When working with plastic handles, Helicoils are installed to prevent the threads from stripping. P.S. I am not looking for work, but will share helpful information.image.jpeg

I've always thought someone could make a small fortune offering this service. If someone would install clips on knives that were sent in, and also, just buy regular Buck 110s install clips and sell them for a little extra, I would think there would be money to be made.

I'm not sure how long it would take to do the work. Plus whats it worth. 50 bucks and include shipping minus parts? Just putting it out there,
I havent had any luck finding someone who offers the service.

I'm not sure how long it would take to do the work. Plus whats it worth. 50 bucks and include shipping minus parts? Just putting it out there,
I havent had any luck finding someone who offers the service.
yep, thats my thought. plus people are so picky anymore. place it too high or too low or too tight or too loose etc etc and the complaints would kill off the motivation to do it

As for myself I have the tools, equipment and I’ve done a lot of similar type work. I’d just like to have a source for the clips, screws and thread inserts to do my own. I wouldn’t even think about doing it as a service just for the reason jb stated above. Even if manufacturers made them multi-position with the parts there would be some who would strip the threads or snap a screw off in the frame or handle material and warranty claims would be a nightmare. I’m surprised they have the reversible ones and I’m glad they do. I just want to install clips on the ones I have that don’t have the mounting holes already there.

I don't understand the obsession with installing a pocket clip on a Buck knife.

It seems that some knife guys want one hand opening and a pocket clip on every knife they own,even classics like the 110 Hunter.I prefer sheath carry for most of my Buck knives.

The new Slim Selects with clips are an answer for some owners.

The limited edition knives,on which the shop installs clips,are interesting but even some of those I may carry in a sheath.

I guess some makers will never satisfy everyone.

It seems that some knife guys want one hand opening and a pocket clip on every knife they own,even classics like the 110 Hunter.I prefer sheath carry for most of my Buck knives.

The new Slim Selects with clips are an answer for some owners.

The limited edition knives,on which the shop installs clips,are interesting but even some of those I may carry in a sheath.

I guess some makers will never satisfy everyone.
its not every knife. 110 slims are thin and sometimes a thicker handled knife like a 110 is nice to have and carrying in a pocket easily is a nice thing and i like it. no complaints, just like it for sometimes.

JB I understand it's not every knife.

On the Buck forum this is not usually an issue.

You can't imagine how many times in the past when I mentioned Buck knives the first comment was "it's too heavy".

Invariably the first two questions were,"does it come with a pocket clip and can you open it with one hand?"

In the past if I wanted one hand opening and a pocket clip I would use a Spyderco manual or a Microtech,Protech or Benchmade auto.

Now I can recommend a Buck for those guys whose priority is one hand opening and a pocket clip.

So many good Buck knives that already have pocket clips.
I have a machine shop in my basement and wouldn't ever think to bother.

edit...that is speaking for me personally but appreciate the skills and desires of others that can and do.

Last edited:
I have that model as well.It has the 440C steel.

I see that you replaced the screws with torx,cool.

PS: I just checked mine and it has torx as well.

So many good Buck knives that already have pocket clips.
I have a machine shop in my basement and wouldn't ever think to bother.

edit...that is speaking for me personally but appreciate the skills and desires of others that can and do.
I wish I had a machine shop and the skills to use it....and for that matter a basement too.:)

I like modern stuff and classics and even a classic converted into a modern somewhat. all have a place and use.

I have the August botm 110 with pocket clip and when I have it in pocket I don’t really notice the weight. There are times when I don’t wear a belt and I have suspenders on so a sheath doesn’t help and times when a sheath is in the way too. Yes I have the modern knives like vantage and the marksman and I use them everyday but they aren’t a standard size 110 and the handle size is a big help when do a lot of cutting on heavy materials. For me a 110 with a pocket clip is just the answer. Now I just need to get the smooth slick red micarta on that knife with some texture so I don’t drop it. Oh and a thumb stud too ! Lol

Back