120 Grit Stone

Shapton Glass or Pro are solid. Baryonyx offers several extremely aggressive low grit stones. And although it isn’t a waterstone, the Crystolon Coarse should never be overlooked

Heavy, your Foss stone is made from SiC is that also considered water stone material? DM

Yes. Water stones are just stones intended to be used with water as the lubricant. They can be made out of any abrasive there is.

Ok, thanks. That's a good size stone and the same grit as Norton's JUM-3. Is shipping charges normal for U.S.? DM

I'm looking for a 120 grit water stone for under $50 preferably made in The USA or Japan
Hi,
What are you looking for exactly?
Have you heard of garden hone?
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/task.html

Hi,
How does it compare to the other such stones you own? (norton ? ace hardware/gator?)

Hi,
How does it compare to the other such stones you own? (norton ? ace hardware/gator?)

It is the fastest coarse stone I own that is capable of being quickly followed in a progression. I have an older boat stone that is maybe 60-80 grit but it absolutely tears up shoulder transition and is prone to leaving scratches above the shoulder as well - is only suitable for rough tool work and even then a file is a better choice.

The Foss stone does leave some hazing at the shoulder but about in line with an XXC DMT while being more durable and faster. It does not shed much, so it does need to be reconditioned/lapped with 30-60 grit loose silicone carbide from time to time if it is used heavily. By "heavily" I'm talking about leaning on it to flatten the backs of plane irons, chisels, plane soles even. If just resetting knife bevels it will go a long time without issues.

Gave it a review in this thread:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/multiple-waterstone-review-chisel-from-dinged-to-sharp.1655895/

Nice work. I notice you sharpen only right handed. Must be your power hand. I'm glad you could bake all the Vaseline out of your water stone. I did a Norton India with boiling water and it gave off a little odor as well. Thank you for the video. DM

Nice work. I notice you sharpen only right handed. Must be your power hand. I'm glad you could bake all the Vaseline out of your water stone. I did a Norton India with boiling water and it gave off a little odor as well. Thank you for the video. DM

Is quite the story - I tried repeatedly to boil the vaseline out, maybe 5 times with long rolling boils and ever time the mud would form all clingy and the stone would load - still too much oil.
Put it in the oven at 300° in about 20 minutes it started to smoke a little. No problem just turn on the exhaust vent. Oh NO, exhaust vent isn't keeping up - smoke now pouring out of the stones! Grab the pan and hustle outside, but too late, the entire house stinks to high heaven of burnt oil.

This being New Year's eve right before dinner. And then the wife and kids come home, start of a new tradition - Hibachi for NewYear's eve dinner. That mistake cost me a lot over the years...

Anyway, elevated them off the bottom of an old metal baking pan on a couple pieces of drill rod, made a tent from foil with one small opening at the top and set the grill on low. Once it heated up the smoke poured out of there - amazing. Let it go an extra 30 minutes after it stopped smoking and that's how they look now - ugly but functional, maybe better than ever. I initially tried oil because they were very slow and loaded easy, really they just needed about a 1/32" lapped off the top.

Crud! I would not have gotten supper that evening. IF we had guest coming over that night, she would have been even madder. Be
glad as you may have gotten off somewhat lucky. For me learning is usually costly. So, you learned how to do it. Now, of course online
your an expert. DM

Aerosmith, he cannot answer until tomorrow and I ask him the same question. He said, 9.8" X 2.95" = 28.91 cu. in..
A nice size stone to work on. DM

Back