12C27?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I just read that 12C27 is a stainless that's supposed to be as simple to heat treat as 1084. So I went looking for some to try out, but none of the distributors I could think of had any, and a Google search yielded nothing a a distributor in Australia, which I tried to order from, got an auto-generated order number, but then a paypal email indicating my order didn't go through. I emailed the distributor to inquire about this, and have not received a reply, so I don't feel encouraged to try to deal with them.

Anyone know where else I can order some sweet and simple Swedish steel? Thanks.

There’s a guy (Savage Custom Knives) that heat treats 14C28N using a pid controlled forge. I would definitely recommend not doing it but... it’s been done.

I just bought a few hundred pounds of it, and I'm really liking it. It's very clean and finishes nicely. It does however need the FOIL, and it likes cryo.

Thank you for the replies. All I have at the moment is a small propane forge with no bells or whistles beyond a simple regulator. Is there a stainless that I can reliably heat treat and quench in oil using this type of set up? Please go easy on me if this has been covered before! :oops:

Thank you for the replies. All I have at the moment is a small propane forge with no bells or whistles beyond a simple regulator. Is there a stainless that I can reliably heat treat and quench in oil using this type of set up? Please go easy on me if this has been covered before! :oops:
No

Hoss

Thank you.

Back