12th Anniversary (Photo Heavy)

Happy 12th Dubz!

Looks like a nice outing, regardless of the weather. You certainly have some beautiful scenery out in your neck of the woods. And toys. Lots of toys to play with. Thanks for sharing with us.

(Iโ€™m liking your coffee pot too. Never seen one shaped like that. Cool :thumbsup:)
Thanks man. The wife had a little 2 cup percolator she always used while we were camping. Then I bought her another 2 cup she used at home, then took it to the cabin when we purchased it. The base was kind of narrow to fit the stove grates very well, so I found her that one on eprey with the wider base. Wear-Ever brand. Works out great.

On a side note, we're still thinking of getting electricity. I know we go there to sort of get away from all that, but we're still thinking about it. My brother said he would wire it up for us. Be nice to walk in, flip on the light, and turn some baseboard heat on while waiting for the woodstove to get warm. Also, get the shed wired up. There's a shower stall out there we rarely use. Normally, we're just there for a weekend anywhos. Would be nice on extended stays to have an electric heater and light out there for a shower. I talked to the local power company. They said $300 to run the wire to it, and a $25 per month minimum. Not too shabby.

That's pretty cheap - and would significantly increase the resale value for when you find a better piece of land closer to home, or make it more comfortable for more frequent visits.
It really is cheap. One of the things that turns me off, is I don't want an eyesore pole outside the cabin. Could go underground, but for one, it's a hell of a lot of digging, and two, it's such a rocky place, you never know where you're going to run into a boulder the size of a van. Would definitely up the resale value. You'd laugh if you knew what I paid for that place. Got it for a song.

Also, I've been wanting to update, but just don't have the extra funds at the moment. I want a new roof, and either siding that looks like wood, or log siding. There's paneling on the inside, that I'd like to remove, put the new wiring in, re-insulate, then put knotty pine on the inside.

pallet boards on the inside look pretty good and are "free"- but it's a lot of work to break down pallets.
menards has decent steel for roofing at a pretty fair price.
if you want zero maintenance siding, go with fiber cement -- the 4x8 or 4x9 sheets look like T-111, cost is similar, but they're hail, rot, and fire resistant.

pallet boards on the inside look pretty good and are "free"- but it's a lot of work to break down pallets.
menards has decent steel for roofing at a pretty fair price.
if you want zero maintenance siding, go with fiber cement -- the 4x8 or 4x9 sheets look like T-111, cost is similar, but they're hail, rot, and fire resistant.
Whatever I decide for the outside, I'm going to place it right over the steel it's already wrapped in. Have to remove the splines, and flatten it out first, but that shouldn't be any problem. I do have some cement board siding that looks like real wood bookmarked. Haven't looked at it for some time, but it's pricey. Like you say though, lasts for a long time, plus, face it, the cabin is tiny, it shouldn't take much.

leave the splines there and cover the flats with 3/4" foam insulation, then add the new siding over the top?
A better idea yet, hell yes. :thumbsup:

You can see the splines in this photo:

Congratulations on the 12th!
Thanks for sharing the great photos of your time and place.

I love the boulders (look like granite glacier erratics...??), and the armadillo!
I was hoping to catch one when I was down running around in the swamps in Louisiana, but only found a road kill one.
My friend said he sees them "all the time", but of course when I was looking for one, they all most have gotten the memo.

Also, I would echo 1066vic, and highly recommend the fiber cement siding panels. I have worked with that product for many years, and although you do have to be somewhat gentle when installing it, it is hard to beat. Especially in our very wet, or very dry/fire prone NW. And it usually comes pre-primed.

Brome

Congratulations on the 12th!
Thanks for sharing the great photos of your time and place.

I love the boulders (look like granite glacier erratics...??), and the armadillo!
I was hoping to catch one when I was down running around in the swamps in Louisiana, but only found a road kill one.
My friend said he sees them "all the time", but of course when I was looking for one, they all most have gotten the memo.

Also, I would echo 1066vic, and highly recommend the fiber cement siding panels. I have worked with that product for many years, and although you do have to be somewhat gentle when installing it, it is hard to beat. Especially in our very wet, or very dry/fire prone NW. And it usually comes pre-primed.

Brome
Thanks man, appreciate it. The armadillo was pretty cool. I had no idea Missouri even had them, until I started seeing them dead alongside the highways. Fiber cement board is a very good option. Not sure about the rocks at Elephant Rocks State Park. Some are rather huge though, haha. Here's a photo taken several years back, of myself lifting one of the boulders. :rolleyes:

Here ya go. Got ambitious, haha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Rocks_State_Park

You had me at, that giant roll.
Which I'm envisioning with frosting and cinnamon as opposed to gravy.
All those pictures of nature and knives are legit but next time lets have more pictures of the roll.
You feeding yourself, your wife feeding you, you get it. Let's not make this weird.

You had me at, that giant roll.
Which I'm envisioning with frosting and cinnamon as opposed to gravy.
All those pictures of nature and knives are legit but next time lets have more pictures of the roll.
You feeding yourself, your wife feeding you, you get it. Let's not make this weird.
Have posted many photos on other threads of the giant roll, dammit. Where the heck ya been? Freakin' good. I get three sittings per roll. They call it the "original", which is a cinnamon roll with rich cream cheese icing.

Congrats, Dubz, and that's a favorite staple bourbon! :thumbsup:
Thanks man. Yeah, it's some good stuff. Sure does creep up on ya though, haha. I tweren't feelin' no pain the night I was drinking out of the probably whiskey cup.

Well, lets not go down the road of whether or not I pay attention, or if I'm detail oriented or not, and I may go an hour or month with out popping in here,
But I think we can all agree that if you keel over dead, Ima eat that roll. Just so you know, that roll won't go to waste. That's my service to you.
Oh, and I may scrounge your pockets for any loose change.

Also, Becker Gathering/Rendevous Montana May 20. You should come.

Well, lets not go down the road of whether or not I pay attention, or if I'm detail oriented or not, and I may go an hour or month with out popping in here,
But I think we can all agree that if you keel over dead, Ima eat that roll. Just so you know, that roll won't go to waste. That's my service to you.
Oh, and I may scrounge your pockets for any loose change.

Also, Becker Gathering/Rendevous Montana May 20. You should come.
Why, so you can steal my jelly doughnuts too? :D

Happy 12th! Good to see you putting that 9 to use. Who needs an axe when you've got a 9
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Awesome Slide show Brother Dubz. Congratulations
Tanks brudda.

it's actually may 15-17, 2020 --- not may 20...
and if you agree to show, I'll not only bring you jelly donuts, I'll hide them from Faller for you.
You know me, usually don't have the funds, plus, I'm the biggest introvert on earth. Appreciate it, just not my scene.

Back