13 Colony Series 1976 Celebrated America's Bicentennial.

G'day, One of the forum members emailed and asked to see the 13 Colony Series comprising total 14 knives. Attached are a few photos when I was getting them out of their bed for their photoshoot....for anyone interested.
Parker-Frost Cutlery contracted with Schrade to produce 42,000 knives--3,000 sets of 14 knives to commemorate America's Bicentennial.
To say the method of distribution was a stuff up is to put it mildly and somewhat less than the 3000 sets were ever produced with much angst between the contracted parties at the time.....the customer could reserve a number and then purchase a knife a month until the set was complete!!
Handle materials included,brass,copper,silver,pewter and of course grizzly patterned stag for the Centre Piece a 5 1/2" Clasp Knife with blade etched with a scene depicting the American Nation Birthdate.....Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001_02.jpg
    P1010001_02.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010009_02.jpg
    P1010009_02.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010003_02.jpg
    P1010003_02.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010002_02.jpg
    P1010002_02.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010006_02.jpg
    P1010006_02.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
2 more photos...

Attachments

• P1010004_02.jpg
    P1010004_02.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010005_02.jpg
    P1010005_02.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Larry

That's the first I have seen them all together! I have run across many of them singularly and I even have a couple of the clasps, however, I haven't tried to add them to my brood. Think I'm goig to have to reconsider!

Tom

And they came in a great display
colonies-13.jpg

(not mine!)

I have a complete set in the display case. It looks great on the wall. :)

From Larry'spost below
"Handle materials included,brass,copper,silver,pewter and of course grizzly patterned stag for the Centre Piece a 5 1/2" Clasp Knife "

The history of the 13 Colony's...Delmas. I show the tang stamping on mine in the next post..Schrade could be very tricky dicky with its Tang stampings....of course they never knew how important it would prove to be for identification later on with Taylor weaving his Schitschrade magic.....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Here's my clasp opened Delmas....same tang stamping....gorgeous stag...Hoo Roo

Attachments

• Clasp%20Knives%20(9).jpg
    Clasp%20Knives%20(9).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 17
Few other clasp knife etchings/tang stampings for comparison.....Schrade craftsmanship could be outstanding with 'FINE' attention to detail.....but Ya'lll ready knew that didn't you?...Hoo Roo

Attachments

• Clasp%20Knives%20(3).jpg
    Clasp%20Knives%20(3).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 17
  • Clasp%20Knives%20(5).jpg
    Clasp%20Knives%20(5).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Clasp%20Knives%20(7).jpg
    Clasp%20Knives%20(7).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Clasp%20Knives%20(10) (2).jpg
    Clasp%20Knives%20(10) (2).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 17
  • larryfinecloseup.jpg
    larryfinecloseup.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 16
I can't wait to get mine in the mail,, I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.. I hope they're in good shape..

it's funny you should ask that,, I just purchased a set off of ebay 2 weeks ago for $275 which I cannot believe made it through the bidding.. The set sold for $449 back in "76" when they were made. There are some REPUTABLE people "in my opinion" on here who think if you could sell the set for $250 to $300 you'd be doing good.. Now I'm 47 yr.s young, not the smartest man in the world & pretty darn familiar with Schrade. And to think that I couldn't get at least what they went for "considering" the condition & pieces you have such as Individual boxes for each state,, sleeve for each box,, velvet tray's for each box,, paperwork for each knife,, even down to the plastic sleeves that knives were shipped in inside the box.. Well just isn't true "in my opinion".. And again in my opinion you get a lot of Low balling Quotes.. but enough of the BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAHING. it would be for you to set a price & an interested buyer to come to terms.. see how easy that answer was....LOL.. Have a good one & good luck

:thumbup:That is a great price for a great set! And you got it with all the accouterments that almost never come with these sets

I have found its more the rule than the exception that knife sets on eBay sell for less than their full Original mftr suggested retail price. I have seen receipts for many schrade knives originally purchased through retailers since the late 70's and all of them were bought for lower than the suggested retail price you'll see in the schrade catalogs on the lrv's COSRUS site.

it's funny you should ask that,, I just purchased a set off of ebay 2 weeks ago for $275 which I cannot believe made it through the bidding.. The set sold for $449 back in "76" when they were made. There are some REPUTABLE people "in my opinion" on here who think if you could sell the set for $250 to $300 you'd be doing good.. Now I'm 47 yr.s young, not the smartest man in the world & pretty darn familiar with Schrade. And to think that I couldn't get at least what they went for "considering" the condition & pieces you have such as Individual boxes for each state,, sleeve for each box,, velvet tray's for each box,, paperwork for each knife,, even down to the plastic sleeves that knives were shipped in inside the box.. Well just isn't true "in my opinion".. And again in my opinion you get a lot of Low balling Quotes.. but enough of the BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAHING. it would be for you to set a price & an interested buyer to come to terms.. see how easy that answer was....LOL.. Have a good one & good luck

Back