1311 After Action Report

So I took my MOAD out hunting with me this weekend. We bagged 3 does and 2 bucks, and I decided to give my MOAD a SERIOUS beating. When breaking down a deer for processing, you have to cut through the pelvis, the breast plate, and all four forelegs, and then cut the head off.

I did this on 5 deer... I was astonished how effective the 1311 was. A deer has a VERY thick neck, and with ONE swing, the head just came off.

Of course, after this kind of beating, there was some damage to the edge. Most of it was rolling, but there were a few very shallow chips.

Considering that this knife was used to hack through some VERY thick bones, i'd say the damage is quite minor.

After 10 minutes on my work sharp, it's back to shaving, and there's almost no sign of the chipping at all.

The MOAD will be a permanent addition to my hunting gear

Pics of the "damage"
r85jdy.jpg

124k1ns.jpg

2a6nk7m.jpg

It's sad people are so far removed from sources of food they can't be reminded by a few pictures without Crying.....

Good on you for a great weekend.

I for one thank you for not putting up those pics.

I am not a hunter but have certainly shot and cut lots of things in my younger days. However, I do find myself uncomfortable seeing stuff like that these days and dont' really appreciate the gore.

FWIW I respect the rights of hunters and totally support the rights of those that do it responsibly. And if you bring me venison I'm likely to pay you back with beer or tobacco. :)

THAT BEING SAID

I think it's a crazy good review that you could power through that sort of task and only get that sort of damage to the blade. I have 1311 myself and have not hit anything with it but I find it incredibly powerful feeling in the hand...and honestly a lot lighter and better balanced than I thought a monster like that would be. I love the 1311, I had a basic 11 a while back and sold it and have regretted it since. I find the 1311 to, imo, be a superior feeling blade. Of course I can't comment on the performance since I never really used the B11. :)

I would like to know how an INFI chopper (B11?) would handle this kind of abuse. I wonder if INFI would manage to take the same beating without any chipping

The chipping on the SR101 was so minimal that it didn't leave a mark on the edge after reprofiling, but as you can see from the pictures, there WAS a little bit of chipping/tearing.

That chipping is so minor after cutting bone as to be less than I might have expected.
After sharpening it out, I suspect that it would be even less susceptible next time.
Nice knife, I can't wait to see the one I ordered.

Does your MOAD have a v-grind on the microbevel? I wonder if (or how much) a convex edge would hold up even better under the same type of testing?

Does your MOAD have a v-grind on the microbevel? I wonder if (or how much) a convex edge would hold up even better under the same type of testing?

The original edge was a V grind. It held up really well to wood but clearly it wasn't designed to cut bone as thick as what i used it on. The convex edge should be very close to the same angle, but there's a good deal more steel behind the edge than there is on the V grind, so i am assuming (pending testing) that it will hold up a lot better under the same impacts

I wasn't so much interested in the damage as i was the fact that this thing cut cleanly through something as thick as a deer pelvis in ONE swing

There was no sign of damage after the first deer except for a very small flattening in the edge in one spot. It wasn't until the 3rd deer that the serious rolling started. The last deer was the one that caused the small tear out that you see in the pics

The last deer was also by far the biggest and it was a 6.5 year old buck, so i'm sure the bones were probably harder than the younger does.

did you do any burnishing/steeling between deers?

Every time the edge dents, mashes, roles or ripples it no longer has the ability to sheer the material with the same resistance as the rest of the edge. when the edge is pristene and straight you lengthen the time of the impulse, which reduces the shock forces that effect the edge. When you have a roll the force hits the edge quickly, producing a fast impulse that applies a lot of shock force to a very small area of very thin metal. Each time it deforms further that shock force just keeps concentrating on it, deforming it more and more while the rest of the edge does fine (as long as it's still straight).

Impulse is defined as :
5. physics
a. the product of the average magnitude of a force acting on a body and the time for which it acts
b. the change in the momentum of a body as a result of a force acting upon it for a short period of time

zP1150612.jpg

zP1150614.jpg

If your willing to hit it with a burnishing rod (it's only a few ounces, and can bring an edge back without having to sharpen it especially with malleable steels like s7 and INFI) between deers or every time you see a bit of damage you might be able to avoid the kind of tears you saw after 5 deers.

Burnishing is a little different from steeling in that steeling is done with light pressure and is meant to bring the very final finished edge into alighnment and smoothen it out a bit (like polishing). Burnishing is done with more pressure, allowing you to knock dents back into alignment and move heavy burrs around.

Last edited:
Very cool review. Glad to see the angles didn't change too much if at all in the sharpening. ;)

Back