15 minutes...

Thank you, it is a tribute to Him. I have many other stuff like these, mostly unfinished or unsold, but this would be too off topic.
(This prehistoric stag would have made beautiful handles!)
FdM3.jpg

Jolipapa, remember this is Sheaths an "SUCH" so please feel free to start a new thread to show your fathers work. This spot is not only for sheaths, its for all leather work no matter the purpose. That is the meaning of "and such" :D

If you feel froggy start a thread in tribute to your fathers legacy and tools. I am sure all here would appreciate it.

I think that'd be an excellent thread! good idea Dwayne and Jolipapa, really nice on that too, good memories sir!
G2

Gary,
Helpful information. I do many similar steps that you take with your sheaths. One thing that I have received positive feedback on finishing is the use of SNO SEAL on the sheaths that I have been told will be used in a variety of outdoor conditions. I get a matte to satin finish on the sheath and the edges don't dry out like they have with saddle lac or tankote. I tested one with gum trag and it repelled water better than the other two products mentioned. Let us know what you use for water repellant properties on your sheaths.
David

I use to use Fiebings Atom Balm wax but recently gave that up completely and now use a Browning leather preservative, more of a paste/wax looking squat jar that you rub on and let dry and buff off, works MUCH better than the other in repelling water!
G2

edited to add a link to this thread

Last edited:
When I first read this thread I decided to give the concept a go. The advice here, even if you use your 15 minutes for design or something else entirely, is one of the bits of advice that has impacted my work the most. I'm always thinking about the customer, his needs, and those precious 15 minutes as I go about the build. At this point I can time myself and see a vast improvement in edge finishing, which is where I "spend" most of my allotment of bonus time. Such a simple idea, but it truly works quite well.

and the edges don't dry out like they have with saddle lac or tankote. I tested one with gum trag and it repelled water better than the other two products mentioned.

I've done quite a bit of testing with the products that I've bought and I can say for certain that Tan-Kote is far from waterproof, not even water resistant really. To be fair, TK isn't meant to resist water (it can be removed with soap and water very easily), but Fiebings should make that more clear.

Anthony
I agree with you completely. They should make it clear.

a few years old, but worth a second glance, guess I'm feeling nostalgic on this rainy start of our first spring in our new home ;)
G2

Back